Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rockbox iRiver Question  (Read 2693 times)

Offline carbine000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Rockbox iRiver Question
« on: February 09, 2010, 08:25:57 PM »
I haven't been around here in a long time since getting some great advice on a rig. :)
In my opinion it has paid for itself 10 fold.

I have an iRiver iHP-120 with Rockbox.
One night at a show I stupidly started messing around with the gain on the settings and now I don't remember what the default settings were.

I've been recording shows great before and I have an important show coming up and I don't think I will get a chance to do a field test on my settings before this show.

So any of you what do you have your settings at or what do  you think I should have my settings at for the gain?

Also, I have Church Audio Cardiods and the ST9000 battery box. ;)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: Rockbox iRiver Question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
I'm not sure these are "defaults", but where I would start is:
Source: line in
Automatic Gain Control: Safety (Clip)
AGC Time: 400ms
Set the gain to something like +10.

If the +10 is hot it will ratchet down automatically to avoid prolonged clipping.  This has worked well for me.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 03:20:21 AM »
Automatic Gain Control: Safety (Clip)
Set the gain to something like +10.

If the +10 is hot it will ratchet down automatically to avoid prolonged clipping. 
SmokinJoe got everything right. Of course, it also depends which gain setting you're using on the ST9000.

I usually put +20dB on my ST-9100, add +20 rockbox gain, and let the Safety (Clip) work its way down on the Iriver.
Once the volume settles in, I normally end up with +-0dB rockbox gain for arena rock DFC, while quiet/acoustic shows might actually need those extra +20dB rockbox gain. Of course, your remedy in this case would be to go for +30dB on the ST-9000 (because the preamp gain is cleaner).
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 03:59:24 AM »
For the future, once you have your settings the way you like them, be sure to save them in case you accidentally screw them up later. You can do this directly in rockbox, but I never figured this out, so I just save the rockbox folder on the iRiver to my computer. If I screw things up, I just copy the saved rockbox folder back to the iRiver.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:43:28 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:14:11 PM »
For the future, once you have your settings the way you like them, be sure to save them in case you accidentally screw them up later. You can do this directly in rockbox, but I never figured this out, so I just save the rockbox folder on the iRiver to my computer. If I screw things up, I just copy the saved rockbox folder back to the iRiver.
Settings -> Manage Settings -> Save .cfg File

To load them again, use Brose .cfg Files from the same menu.

Offline carbine000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:23:24 AM »
Fmaderjr & petur:
Perfect! I will do this in the future.

Smokin Joe & Sunjan:
I like what you are saying about the ST-9000 being cleaner. At the show where I started messing with the setting the bass becomes distorted. This is from too much gain on the iRiver, no?

I've typically used only the preamp gain based on the levels shown on the rockbox. If the levels were mid to mid-high on the rockbox I am satisfied and I have had clean recordings. Although I have found that I need to increase the gain in post-production before it is listenable. It is still clean though.

FYI I am going to a DJ/Electronic show so there is going to be lots of prolonged bass. I am thinking of using the DJ Set AGC setting and having the iRiver set to +10 then turn on the preamp gains and see where the levels are at. What do you guys think?

:)

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 04:27:45 AM »
I like what you are saying about the ST-9000 being cleaner. At the show where I started messing with the setting the bass becomes distorted. This is from too much gain on the iRiver, no?

FYI I am going to a DJ/Electronic show so there is going to be lots of prolonged bass. I am thinking of using the DJ Set AGC setting and having the iRiver set to +10 then turn on the preamp gains and see where the levels are at. What do you guys think?

Distortion is probably from too much Iriver gain in combination with ST-9000 gain, yes. (Or from low voltage in the preamp, but less likely.)
You can easily notice this while taping: if the meters peak, clipping will occur. In Rockbox, set the screen to lighten up while clipping, you will be alerted and might adjust (or let Safety Clip do the adjustment for you).

For your next gig, I suggest setting the ST-9000 gain before you start the recording on the rockbox. For loud gigs, start with +20 Church gain and +20 iriver gain, let Safety Clip adjust it down towards +-0. If you end up below 0dB on the Iriver, this means that +10dB on the ST-9000 would have been sufficient.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com