Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony ECM-MS957 -> 1/8" input MT2 (low input level problem)  (Read 10881 times)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sony ECM-MS957 -> 1/8" input MT2 (low input level problem)
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 05:34:23 AM »
I had just started setting up such a test when I read your post.

The newest model MZ-RZ1 resamples, so the older ones surely do as well. I fed the MD one of my best live recordings and went line out into my MR10. I set the MD at Hi-LP to make it easier to tell. The files on the MR10 was badly deficient in high frequencies.

I agree with you, though, that SP minidisc sounds great so you could do what you say in a pinch. However the MZ-R30 is quite old and probably uses an old version of ATRAC which might not sound quite as good.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline bonesinc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 09:44:04 AM »
Well, I decided to return the MicroTrack II and bought a Sony PCM-M10 instead.  ::)

So, the problem I had with self-powered microphones in the 1/8" 'plugin power' jack is no longer an issue.  :laugh:

Thank you all for helping me solve this unsolvable problem and I hate you all for making me buy a more expensive device.  ;)

No really, thanks!  ;D

Offline andrea doria

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 04:09:59 PM »
i read this older thread, think the m10 has brought a revival of the MS957 (?). found such a microphone nearly unused, came years years ago with a sony dat recorder. now i proved it and found it sounding best on sony machines. on all of them, dat, md and m10. has full sound and usable stereo picture, but not so with other 1/8" pip entrances (sounds thinner in middle and bassy in side regions). couldn't find how sony did it. the mic layout came from dat times (no more than 2v pip). one of the two membranes (not small, 1/2") is obviously an eight and works defining the stereo effect, other cardoid. microtrack runs 4,5v pip, not too bad on some pro lapels if there's no wireless connection,  holds good runtime with camera gear, has not so bad noise shaping like told in the web. but helas, preamps soundwise aren't better than all small user gear: all sounding like soup without bones.       

myself am using neumann, gefell, dpa, dyn md441 with pro mixers. yeah sometimes on small recorders too.  bad sound makes post cleaning extra work, endless lack of character. 

who has a MS957 on older or newer sony gear, try its a bit strange stereo concept, worth an playing adventure, turn it around: sounds fuller than inbuildt todays recorders mickly mics, has handsome 1/8" xlr5 stereo cable, not too much self noise for an electret .... and no problem with feeding 1/8" pip.

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 08:40:34 PM »
I also use an ecm957.   It works great with my R-09HR.I had problems with distortion with the builtin  mic's on the recorder with close to stage loud music..I changed and I use full charged rechargeables at every gig that gets recorded.The only problem I have with the mike is the cheap threaded grip battery cover that goes over the battery.Mine got stripped and ruined the grip cover threads.I have to call Sony parts for a new grip cover.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com