Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD 722 tape out vs. line out  (Read 6330 times)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
SD 722 tape out vs. line out
« on: May 18, 2011, 10:46:32 PM »
I've looked over the specs in the manual, and I see the tape out is unbalanced -10dBV (aka consumer line-level). There is no mention of the output of the TA3 L/R line outs. Are they +4dBu?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: SD 722 tape out vs. line out
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
I've looked over the specs in the manual, and I see the tape out is unbalanced -10dBV (aka consumer line-level). There is no mention of the output of the TA3 L/R line outs. Are they +4dBu?

As I read the spec sheet, when the 722 clips, it's putting out +20dbu via the TA3s, and you tune that via the menu setting. (page 22 and 69 in the manual). What the "nominal value" is I don't know.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:14:55 PM »

As I read the spec sheet, when the 722 clips, it's putting out +20dbu via the TA3s, and you tune that via the menu setting. (page 22 and 69 in the manual). What the "nominal value" is I don't know.

Thanks, Page.

I think that answers most of my question; I'm wanting to feed the occasional analog patcher, including my own M-10 for the car-ride home. I think the 1/8" tape-out will suffice quite nicely. I now see no reason to solder up 2xTA3>1/8"m cables (and unbalance 'em).

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:31:01 PM »

Thanks, Page.

I think that answers most of my question; I'm wanting to feed the occasional analog patcher, including my own M-10 for the car-ride home. I think the 1/8" tape-out will suffice quite nicely. I now see no reason to solder up 2xTA3>1/8"m cables (and unbalance 'em).

thats what I do, and I carry a small 1/8">1/8" patch cable in case anyone with a zoom or edirol shows up and wants a copy but doesn't have the necessary cable. I've had to use it a handful of times in the last 2 years.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 01:07:43 AM »
BTW is it possible to send the "tape out" signal into a "mic in" recorder like a consumer camcorder with a mic-in? I know the signal will be hot so how much pad do I need to make this work? I see a few pads that is not too expensive:

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audio-Cables/DSLR-Audio-Cables/Sescom/LN2MIC-50DB.xhtml

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audio-Cables/DSLR-Audio-Cables/Sescom/LN2MIC-PCDM50.xhtml

so there are a lot of different pad cables...Just wondering if it is possible and yield new results..
Thanks.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 02:23:54 AM »
BTW is it possible to send the "tape out" signal into a "mic in" recorder like a consumer camcorder with a mic-in? I know the signal will be hot so how much pad do I need to make this work? I see a few pads that is not too expensive:

As I read the manual, the attenuation on the 722 affects both line and tape outs (pg 24). So if you get 40db of attenuation and it's already consumer level, you can come real close to mic level by throwing most of the -40db at it and using tape out and without having to use outboard attenuators. Just how much attenuation to use I'm not sure.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 01:50:54 PM »
Hi I used a -35dB atten cable to connect my 722 (tape out) to my mic in on my camcorder. Can someone tell me why I get a small but noticeable humming sound in my camcorder? Is it because of the cable or the camera or what? I think the connection is tight so is there a reason why I hear a humming sound from my camera? (The original recording in the recording has no hum). I just want to know what makes that hum and how to prevent it. Thanks.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 02:42:26 PM »
Hi I used a -35dB atten cable to connect my 722 (tape out) to my mic in on my camcorder. Can someone tell me why I get a small but noticeable humming sound in my camcorder? Is it because of the cable or the camera or what? I think the connection is tight so is there a reason why I hear a humming sound from my camera? (The original recording in the recording has no hum). I just want to know what makes that hum and how to prevent it. Thanks.

sounds like a ground loop. I had one at one time and finally figured out that it was my 1/8" attenuator that produced it.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 04:36:19 PM »
How did you fix the problem?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »
I patched my extra DR2d (using the line input) out of the 3.5mm jack of another taper's 722 back at the board last month for a copy of the SBD feed.  No problems with levels.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 02:12:52 AM »
How did you fix the problem?

new attenuator is the easiest way.

I have the old one marked and I use it occasionally for some casual stuff at work which just has a wicked sensitive input.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 04:12:21 AM »
I patched my extra DR2d (using the line input) out of the 3.5mm jack of another taper's 722 back at the board last month for a copy of the SBD feed.  No problems with levels.

Did you use the MIC-IN or the LINE-IN for that particular recording ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »
722's 3.5mm jack out > DR2d Line-input.

Was also running Countryman B3s > CA-UGLY > DR2d mic-input to a seperate file (dual recording mode), just because that stuff was in the same bag.  So the extra recorder got both SBD and a spaced omnis pair located at the board for venue ambience.  Probably won't use that but run 'em if you got 'em right?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com