Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz 661 power question  (Read 7904 times)

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Marantz 661 power question
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:33:12 PM »
If I am planning on using the 661 just as a bit bucket (Via Coax In)

How long can I expect it to last on AA batteries?

Thanks!

I am trying to decide between going:
A.) Sound Devices UsbPre2 > 661
OR
B.) just using a 702
Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Marantz 661 power question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 10:42:13 AM »
here's some battery tests:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=119213.msg1597270#msg1597270
but I don't think any of those are with the S/PDIF input.
I've never done a full battery test with the S/PDIF input, but I know that it'll run for a long time.  With rechargeable NiMH AA's, running digital into the PMD-661, at the end of a Phish show, the battery meter still shows a full charge.  My educated guess is that it'll run 7-8 hours on internal AA's when using the digital input.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
Recording at 24/44.1 with P48 to a pair of CCMs with LED on and LCD on powersave, I was getting about 4-5 hours with 2500mAh Sanyos, so I think 8 hours at least could be expected, if not more than 10 hours even.  If I had a digital source I could do a battery test (or you can borrow mine if you want to test it yourself).

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »
Thanks for the info! I was a little worried about it, as the only battery life that I saw was running phantom.

It sounds like I will be fine on battery life using this as a bit-bucket!
Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline TomBoisseau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Marantz 661 - Power Adapter Disconnecting
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »
I've had my PMD661 for about 2 weeks, and I'm pretty pleased, however the coaxial power connector keeps popping out.  The only solution seems to be to put a piece of tape around it to hold it "in".  Does anyone else here have that problem?

Thanks,
Tom

Chimney Top

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 02:40:28 AM »
whoever said the battery sled on the 671 was useless is exactly right!

i walked to the gas station twice during a show tonight only to end up having about 30 used up AA batteries and bits and pieces of the show recorded.

i was extra glad to see the last set of batteries i bought died right at the begining of a song when the allman brothers band bass player Oteil Burbridge came up on stage.

that is shitty flaw on this model.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
Re: Marantz 661 - Power Adapter Disconnecting
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 06:10:38 AM »
I've had my PMD661 for about 2 weeks, and I'm pretty pleased, however the coaxial power connector keeps popping out.  The only solution seems to be to put a piece of tape around it to hold it "in".  Does anyone else here have that problem?

I've never had an issue with either the digital coax cable input, or the external power input (either with the wallwart that came with the 661, or using an external battery (I used to power the deck with a Tekkeon MP3450 battery).

If you are having an issue with the digital coax input, I'd suggest getting a different S/PDIF cable, because mine is nice and snug.  If you are having issues with the power connection and you are using an external battery system, I'd make sure that you are using the right sized tip.  maybe the tip you are using sort of fits, but it's not quite right, which is why you are having issues.

i walked to the gas station twice during a show tonight only to end up having about 30 used up AA batteries and bits and pieces of the show recorded.

i was extra glad to see the last set of batteries i bought died right at the begining of a song when the allman brothers band bass player Oteil Burbridge came up on stage.

while that sucks, it doesn't really relate to what this thread is about, which is battery power for the PMD-661, not the 671.  The 661 doesn't have a battery sled, rather, the four AA's fit nice, tight, and snug right in the back of the unit.  never heard of anyone having any issues.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:13:02 AM by JasonSobel »

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 07:09:43 AM »
I've never had an issue with either the digital coax cable input, or the external power input (either with the wallwart that came with the 661, or using an external battery (I used to power the deck with a Tekkeon MP3450 battery).

If you are having an issue with the digital coax input, I'd suggest getting a different S/PDIF cable, because mine is nice and snug.  If you are having issues with the power connection and you are using an external battery system, I'd make sure that you are using the right sized tip.  maybe the tip you are using sort of fits, but it's not quite right, which is why you are having issues.

Sorry. Maybe I should have started a new thread.

My problem is with the original power adapter.  It keeps coming out of the 661 while recording unless I secure it with tape.  Now I'm trying to decide if I should return it or not.

Chimney Top

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 09:02:18 AM »

while that sucks, it doesn't really relate to what this thread is about, which is battery power for the PMD-661, not the 671.  The 661 doesn't have a battery sled, rather, the four AA's fit nice, tight, and snug right in the back of the unit.  never heard of anyone having any issues.

thanks for pointing that out.

i didn't feel like starting another fucking thread.

it seemed relevant enough as i didn't want to sort through thousands more posts.

i don't care.  take it down, take a shit on it, do whatever you want.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:07:42 AM by Chimney Top »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »

it seemed relevant enough as i didn't want to sort through thousands more posts.

Nice...The proverbial pissed in Cheerios for breakfast this morning?

Chimney Top

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:41:21 AM »

Nice...The proverbial pissed in Cheerios for breakfast this morning?

yeah, i guess... sorry ya'll.

bout to kill someone for a cigarette today.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »

Sorry. Maybe I should have started a new thread.

My problem is with the original power adapter.  It keeps coming out of the 661 while recording unless I secure it with tape.  Now I'm trying to decide if I should return it or not.

Tom,  if you are having an issue with the original power adapter that came with the deck, I'd return it (hopefully you can return just the power adapter and not need to return the deck as well).  The power adaptor that came with mine fits great, and no issues with it popping out.  It sounds like something isn't right with yours.  whether the problem lies with the power adapter or the power jack on the deck itself, there's no real way to know unless you send it back.

and in regards to Chimney Top, I don't care one way or another if you start another thread to complain about the PMD-671 battery sled.  It's been talked about before, and I'm sure it will be talked about again.  I just wanted to point out to anyone reading this thread about powering the PMD-661 that the 661 does not share the same battery sled issues as the 671, because there is no battery sled in the 661.  andin my opinion, the battery compartment design on the 661 is a big step up from the battery sled on the 671.

Chimney Top

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 11:33:59 AM »
I'm not going to quote all that -

ok

yes, i sure as heck hope so... 661 users should be all the more satisfied with their investment after my post.  i will be contacting marantz for a refund on a new useless battery sled the charge $30 for.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:40:58 AM by Chimney Top »

Offline Rockinman59

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 03:49:16 PM »

Thanks,
Tom

Hey Tom,  I've used this Hosa coax cable and it fits nice and snug and has a flex end and is less than $10.  No problems whatsoever with connection.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160865-REG/Hosa_Technology_DRA_501_S_PDIF_RCA_Male_to.html

AKG460 JW Mods>UA5 (Wmod)>Marantz PMD661

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
I think Tom was referring to the original power adapter cable, this link is for an RCA - S/PDIF cable. 

Wonder how it worked out for him?

Thanks,
Tom

Hey Tom,  I've used this Hosa coax cable and it fits nice and snug and has a flex end and is less than $10.  No problems whatsoever with connection.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160865-REG/Hosa_Technology_DRA_501_S_PDIF_RCA_Male_to.html
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:36:06 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 07:57:45 AM »
Regarding the loose power adapter, I contacted Marantz and it appears there is a defect with the power adapter plug that connects to the PMD661.  I have a new power supply on order.  Hopefully that will take care of it.

I was begining to believe it was just a poor design and wouldn't have known any better if it were not for you guys here.  Thanks for your responses.

Tom

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »
Well I received the new power supply today for my 661.  Unfortuately it doesn't seem to be any better.  It rather easy will slip out of the 661 while in use.

I don't know what to think now.  I really need some of you guys here to help me out!

According to Marantz tech support, the power cable "should" plug in all the way so that the black plastic of the plug is actually touching the casing of the 661.  Is that true?  Is that how your unit is?

Mine does NOT go in that far!  There is a gap of a little more than 1/16 of an inch.

Please let me know.  I really appreciate your help.

Tom

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »
Well I received the new power supply today for my 661.  Unfortuately it doesn't seem to be any better.  It rather easy will slip out of the 661 while in use.

I don't know what to think now.  I really need some of you guys here to help me out!

According to Marantz tech support, the power cable "should" plug in all the way so that the black plastic of the plug is actually touching the casing of the 661.  Is that true?  Is that how your unit is?

Mine does NOT go in that far!  There is a gap of a little more than 1/16 of an inch.

Please let me know.  I really appreciate your help.

Tom

Tom,

Here are some pictures I snapped this morning for you of the PMD661 and its External Power Supply hope they help you out. 

Yes, the connector is snug when connected to the recorder and would not fall out without significant force.  It is not a locking connector so it would come out if it were tripped over for instance.  It does plug all the way in to the recorder as pictured.  Most of the time I'm using my Tekkeon battery for external power but these pictures are of the AC supply that Marantz includes with the recorder.

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »
DigiGal,

Thanks SO SO MUCH for going to all the extra trouble to respond AND take those pictures.  I think that will help resolve this issue.  I immendiately contacted my dealer and he is in the process of talking to the rep and likely getting me another unit.  Without your "proof in pictures", it would have been much more difficult to make this happen.  I REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Tom

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »
Tom,

You are welcome, it seems like the power jack may be foo-bared on your recorder.  They could probably replace the power jack in a repair shop but it is quicker for them to replace the recorder after having already wasted time with the power supply route.

Best of luck,

DigiGal
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:16:50 PM by DigiGal »

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »
I'm beginning to REALLY dislike Marantz! 

Apparently they are refusing to "swap" out my unit.  I will need to send it in for service instead.  What's even more annoying is that I purchased this unit through a professional audio supplier - NOT a music store and NOT an online store!  They have been my "go between".   I thought they would have more pull.  But apparently that doesn't matter to Marantz.  I also informed my supplier of this problem nearly a month ago (and my supplier told Marantz such) but again that had no effect.  Looks like I'll be without this unit for awhile waiting for it to go through shipping and repair. 

I do sound for a living.  I can't afford to deal with a company that treats me like an "ignorant" consumer!  Next time I'm buying Tascam... or anything other than Marantz!

Here is a copy of their email:

==================================
Thanks Linda,

Please note we have reviewed the situation, this PMD661 unit was dropped shipped directly to the end user Jan. 3rd, 2011 placing it out of the exchange period.

Considering the fault description of the power connection jack which is not a common issue, there is a possibility that the unit may have been physically damaged which would not be covered under the manufacturers warranty.

In any case I’ve copied our Technical Support Dept. on this email who will arrange for an expedited repair and return to the customer.

Please have the end user or reseller contact them for a Service Return Authorization.

Best regards,

JOE CALDERON
OPERATIONS MANAGER, PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS
D&M Professional
1100 Maplewood Drive
Itasca, IL 60143

======================================

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 01:30:53 PM »
Typical corporate world "cover yours - attitude" hope D&M Professional will honor the repair under warranty. 

Do you have a record of when the problem was first reported, hopefully in writing or e-mail?  It is always helpful to fully document everything as much as possible.  Maybe the un-named Pro Audio Dealer will work with you and could supply a loaner unit, especially if you are a frequent customer and/or they offer rentals. 

It does seem this should be a quick and easy fix in the repair shop but with shipping both ways and who knows whatever their backlog is.  You've had this problem from day one right<?> or maybe but it was discovered later.  Gotta agree with Marantz that it doesn't seem like a common issue (hope that the part won't be backordered because of this) but by the same token how would they explain that you could have done it.  Please keep us posted as this progresses.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 01:51:04 PM by DigiGal »

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
Tom,

Curious, what kind of resolution did you end up with for this problem???

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com