Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz 661 power question  (Read 7905 times)

Offline TomBoisseau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Marantz 661 power question
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 07:57:45 AM »
Regarding the loose power adapter, I contacted Marantz and it appears there is a defect with the power adapter plug that connects to the PMD661.  I have a new power supply on order.  Hopefully that will take care of it.

I was begining to believe it was just a poor design and wouldn't have known any better if it were not for you guys here.  Thanks for your responses.

Tom

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »
Well I received the new power supply today for my 661.  Unfortuately it doesn't seem to be any better.  It rather easy will slip out of the 661 while in use.

I don't know what to think now.  I really need some of you guys here to help me out!

According to Marantz tech support, the power cable "should" plug in all the way so that the black plastic of the plug is actually touching the casing of the 661.  Is that true?  Is that how your unit is?

Mine does NOT go in that far!  There is a gap of a little more than 1/16 of an inch.

Please let me know.  I really appreciate your help.

Tom

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »
Well I received the new power supply today for my 661.  Unfortuately it doesn't seem to be any better.  It rather easy will slip out of the 661 while in use.

I don't know what to think now.  I really need some of you guys here to help me out!

According to Marantz tech support, the power cable "should" plug in all the way so that the black plastic of the plug is actually touching the casing of the 661.  Is that true?  Is that how your unit is?

Mine does NOT go in that far!  There is a gap of a little more than 1/16 of an inch.

Please let me know.  I really appreciate your help.

Tom

Tom,

Here are some pictures I snapped this morning for you of the PMD661 and its External Power Supply hope they help you out. 

Yes, the connector is snug when connected to the recorder and would not fall out without significant force.  It is not a locking connector so it would come out if it were tripped over for instance.  It does plug all the way in to the recorder as pictured.  Most of the time I'm using my Tekkeon battery for external power but these pictures are of the AC supply that Marantz includes with the recorder.

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »
DigiGal,

Thanks SO SO MUCH for going to all the extra trouble to respond AND take those pictures.  I think that will help resolve this issue.  I immendiately contacted my dealer and he is in the process of talking to the rep and likely getting me another unit.  Without your "proof in pictures", it would have been much more difficult to make this happen.  I REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Tom

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »
Tom,

You are welcome, it seems like the power jack may be foo-bared on your recorder.  They could probably replace the power jack in a repair shop but it is quicker for them to replace the recorder after having already wasted time with the power supply route.

Best of luck,

DigiGal
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:16:50 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »
I'm beginning to REALLY dislike Marantz! 

Apparently they are refusing to "swap" out my unit.  I will need to send it in for service instead.  What's even more annoying is that I purchased this unit through a professional audio supplier - NOT a music store and NOT an online store!  They have been my "go between".   I thought they would have more pull.  But apparently that doesn't matter to Marantz.  I also informed my supplier of this problem nearly a month ago (and my supplier told Marantz such) but again that had no effect.  Looks like I'll be without this unit for awhile waiting for it to go through shipping and repair. 

I do sound for a living.  I can't afford to deal with a company that treats me like an "ignorant" consumer!  Next time I'm buying Tascam... or anything other than Marantz!

Here is a copy of their email:

==================================
Thanks Linda,

Please note we have reviewed the situation, this PMD661 unit was dropped shipped directly to the end user Jan. 3rd, 2011 placing it out of the exchange period.

Considering the fault description of the power connection jack which is not a common issue, there is a possibility that the unit may have been physically damaged which would not be covered under the manufacturers warranty.

In any case I’ve copied our Technical Support Dept. on this email who will arrange for an expedited repair and return to the customer.

Please have the end user or reseller contact them for a Service Return Authorization.

Best regards,

JOE CALDERON
OPERATIONS MANAGER, PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS
D&M Professional
1100 Maplewood Drive
Itasca, IL 60143

======================================

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 01:30:53 PM »
Typical corporate world "cover yours - attitude" hope D&M Professional will honor the repair under warranty. 

Do you have a record of when the problem was first reported, hopefully in writing or e-mail?  It is always helpful to fully document everything as much as possible.  Maybe the un-named Pro Audio Dealer will work with you and could supply a loaner unit, especially if you are a frequent customer and/or they offer rentals. 

It does seem this should be a quick and easy fix in the repair shop but with shipping both ways and who knows whatever their backlog is.  You've had this problem from day one right<?> or maybe but it was discovered later.  Gotta agree with Marantz that it doesn't seem like a common issue (hope that the part won't be backordered because of this) but by the same token how would they explain that you could have done it.  Please keep us posted as this progresses.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 01:51:04 PM by DigiGal »

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
Tom,

Curious, what kind of resolution did you end up with for this problem???

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com