Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DR-680 - Track Time Limitations?  (Read 3256 times)

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
DR-680 - Track Time Limitations?
« on: June 20, 2011, 11:47:19 PM »
I apologize in advance if the answer to this question is posted somewhere in the lengthy threads about the DR-680, but using the "search" function I didn't find the answer.

So my question is this... I just got my new DR-680 fired up and am using a 32GB card.  Even though I can fit 7 hours plus of data onto a 32GB card (set at 24/48) the machine seems to be limiting an individual track to a maximum length of approximately 2 hours.  Is this normal or do I need to change a setting in the menu to override this file size limitation? 

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: DR-680 - Track Time Limitations?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:25:04 AM »
File recorders will normally limit the file size to 2GB or 4GB as that is the maximum the standard allows.

However, many recorders will seamlessly start a new file when it reaches the maximum, so you don't lose anything.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
Yep, 2 gig file size limit. For 24/48, it's 2 hours, 4 min, I believe. It will start a new seamless track, but if you're like me, and don't want that happening in the middle of a song, hit record to start a new track. It's also helpful to switch the display to show remaining file time.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

cashandkerouac

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:32:24 AM »
thanks for the very helpful feedback.  i let the DR-680 run for multiple hours at home last night and it did indeed roll into the next track as soon as the file reached it's maximum (2 hours, 4 minutes).  while the cutover into the next track may be seamless, i think i'll try to pause and start a new track in between songs before the 2 GB limit. 

i've only just started to use the DR-680, but so far so good.  no issues, no problems, no glitches.  i'll put it to a real world test tonight recording a friend's band.  and then next week i'm taking it to the High Sieraa Music Festival... 4 very long days (and nights) of music in 90+ degree weather.   

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:36:09 AM »
If you press the "record button" while it is recording, the 680 will automatically create a new seemless file while ending the previous file correctly.
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 01:56:47 PM »
I highly recommend reading the owner's manual thoroughly before the real test (and maybe bring it with you to the fest). Some of it is kinda tricky, in my opinion, especially using the digital input.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

cashandkerouac

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 02:05:27 PM »
last night was my maiden voyage with the DR-680 and it performed beautifully.  however, when i got home to transfer the files to my computer i saw there were three WAV files for every track i recorded.  each of the three files were all identical in size, but only one of the three files seemed to contain the recorded info.  is there a setting in one of the menus that i need to change so that only one stereo WAV file is captured?  i have it set to stereo mode and only used two of the XLR inputs.  while the actual recorded music was about 1.4 GB, the total space used on the SD card was just over 5 GB.  seems kinda strange.  i'll have to read through the manual tonight to figure out what's going on. 

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »
You probably didn't turn off recording on the extra tracks.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

cashandkerouac

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 03:21:01 PM »
You probably didn't turn off recording on the extra tracks.

aha!  that makes sense.  i noticed that the little round circles were beneath tracks 3-6, which i believe means that the tracks are active.  if i disable them that should solve the problem.  many thanks.   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com