Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Olympus LS-100 with XLR, 8 channels  (Read 27218 times)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Olympus LS-100 with XLR, 8 channels
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
"The LS-100 is 8-track recording. You can record 4 at once and overdub the others."

I couldn't find how to do this in the manual, so I wrote to Olympus as follows

My Question: Does the LS-100 have the ability to record from multiple inputs simultaneously?

Their Answer:  Only one microphone set can be used at a time -- either the built-in microphones or external microphones.

My conclusion:  While the LS-100 has plenty of options for overdubbing and combining pre-recorded material, this recorder cannot simultaneously record 4 channels of new material.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 12:14:56 PM »
Thanks for getting a direct response. This looks like a neat recorder but its essentially a two track recorder with extra features.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »
The Olympus LS-100 has Equivalent Input Noise (EIN, A-weighted, impedance 150 ohms) of -125dBu, see http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

...at maximum gain.  Could be different at more usual taper gain settings...

Olympus gave me some idea of P48 run-times, too. 2h15m at 24/96 and 2h45m at 16/44.1.  Unfortunately, they didn't say what microphones they were using or their draw.  I asked about that, but no reply as of yet.

Offline burble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »
I had my hands on one of these today and it is certainly sleeker/smaller than the DR-100mkII (the other recorder I am really curious about.) Loads smaller than the R-26.

I liked that you could turn phantom power on/off discretely for the two inputs. Didn't like that the xlr inputs are not lockable. Liked that the battery is easily accessible, i.e. easy to have a spare or two. Appears to be lots of "xtra" buttons and a little shiny... But ultimately VERY curious to read some testing and hear some experience. Fascinated by the Avisoft numbers and wonder about sound quality and worth of the $100 up-charge from the mkII (B&H now has it for $299.)

Looking for what will make me happiest with phantom power and my AT875R prior to acquiring a preamp/mixer.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 10:39:40 AM »
Very odd to hear the XLR inputs are not locking. The $100 difference between the tascam and the Oly will probably be the deciding factor for many people. The Tascam has optical input but doesn't have the ability to mix channels, and the oly looks like it records two inputs at a time anyway i.e. stereo on xlr. 
I wish both recorders had a visual indicator of when the levels were peaking like the m10 and sound device units, but this functionality seems to only be seen in pro gear and skipped on even records like r44 and dr680.

I think a good comp would be between the oly and tascam with the internal pres. We already know both are going to be noisy compared to sound devices and Nagra but which one has a more realist sound.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 04:44:20 PM »

That's how these measurements are always taken, because that's where the s/n ratio is best (yes, you hear more noise at high gain but the increase in signal is greater than the increase in noise).

The chief thing about the avisoft chart is to see where each recorder comes relative to the others (without getting too hung up on the odd dB variations).

On the nature recordists site, Raimund has now reported that

"In the mean time I also measured the noise floor of the LS-100 (3.5mm) "External
Mic" input (gain set to "Hi" and Plug-in Power switched off). The results are
quite poor at -114 dBu(A)."

Offline kenyee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »
Interesting review of a pre-production model.  They recommend cross-shopping the Marantz PMD661 and Roland R-26. 

That doesn't make sense....both of those can record from the internal mics and the XLRs simultaneously (4 channels).
I wonder why that's so hard...first the Tascam DR-100mkII and now this that look great but can only do 2 channels at once :-P

The 8 channel mixing seems like a silly feature...most people would probably do this in post on the computer :-)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »
Actually, the PMD661 is a two channel recorder.  It was introduced in 2008, before the current fad of hand-held multi-track recorders took off.

I think the reason the article suggested cross-shopping the PMD661 and Roland R-26 is that their XLR input preamps have similar low self-noise characteristics.  Otherwise, the recorders are quite different.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 04:00:43 PM »

That's how these measurements are always taken, because that's where the s/n ratio is best (yes, you hear more noise at high gain but the increase in signal is greater than the increase in noise).

The chief thing about the avisoft chart is to see where each recorder comes relative to the others (without getting too hung up on the odd dB variations).

The question remains whether or not those relative differences in the avisoft chart are applicable at the much lower gain settings people here typically use.  I have read numerous posts from DSatz, and others, suggesting that may not be the case.  Below is an example.  It may be that he is incorrect, but I'll trust him in the absence of evidence to the contrary!

The "quietness" of a preamp depends to a considerable extent on the gain setting that is chosen. If you need to boost the mike signals by (say) 30 dB then you could measure and rank ten given preamps by their noise figures at that gain setting; if on the other hand you need 50 or 60 dB gain then the ranking might be entirely different.

In other words, if someone tests a bunch of preamps while they're set for a gain that's markedly different from the gain that you require, their evaluations might well be misleading and useless for your purposes, even if they're technically correct down to the last decimal place.

You need to know the gain that you will require from a preamp, and the preamps have to be tested at or near that particular gain level. Only then can any comparisons of noise levels start to become meaningful.

--best regards

Offline kenyee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »
Actually, the PMD661 is a two channel recorder.  It was introduced in 2008, before the current fad of hand-held multi-track recorders took off.

Forgot about that.  It always is highly recommended as an H4N alternative.

BTW, I bugged Olympus about why they couldn't make the LS-100 record 4 channels:
"The primary reason there is a restriction on using more than one capture type is the potential for feedback and for the internal microphones and XLR microphones to record out of phase with each other. There are many more issues, one of which is the ability to direct Phantom Power to the XLR jacks."
That might explain why the H4N's XLRs are noisy unless you use a mic w/ internal batteries...

Offline ausavim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 12:09:02 AM »

Offline TheSlade

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 05:54:31 PM »
I ordered one of these recorders, Olympus LS-100, and I'll try and share my thoughts with ya'll.

It should arrive Tuesday, probably going to be a learning curve for me, so it may take me some time to get a grip on it, so to speak.

I've really only used an old mp3 player with a built in voice recorder (until the hard-drive failed last year)

Remember, always back up as soon as you can!

:)

Offline dangulberry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »
Hi all,
First post here, so hello  :)

I bought an LS-100 and have been using it for the past couple of days. It's great in many ways. And the onboard mics (which do sound very good and detailed) can take very high SPL.

But I have a question: do most portable recorders (2 track or multitrack) have direct monitoring? Or is there latency in the monitoring? The ZOOM h4n, for example?

As far as I can tell, the LS-100 does NOT have direct monitoring as an option.

This might not really bug any tapers out there. I want to use the multitrack option occasionally, and delayed monitoring is a bummer.
Olympus might provide for it in a firmware update, I suppose. But for this price I kinda want a guarantee!

I suppose I could always return it, and get a Roland r26 (I think I'd prefer the sound of the onboard mics)....but then I lose the multitracking option.

So, I hope someone can help!

cheers
dg

Offline kenyee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 09:33:56 PM »
But I have a question: do most portable recorders (2 track or multitrack) have direct monitoring? Or is there latency in the monitoring? The ZOOM h4n, for example?

With the H4n, you can connect the output to your DSLR and also split it so you can monitor it at the same time.  You use something like this:
  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755857-REG/Sescom_LN2MIC_ZMGH_MON_LN2MIC_ZMGHN_MON_Line_Out_to.html

You used the R-26 before?  You're one of the few that has if so...I was wondering how it compared to the H4n...

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2012, 11:40:12 AM »
Hi all,
First post here, so hello  :)

I bought an LS-100 and have been using it for the past couple of days. It's great in many ways. And the onboard mics (which do sound very good and detailed) can take very high SPL.

As far as I can tell, the LS-100 does NOT have direct monitoring as an option.

This might not really bug any tapers out there. I want to use the multitrack option occasionally, and delayed monitoring is a bummer.
Olympus might provide for it in a firmware update, I suppose. But for this price I kinda want a guarantee!

I suppose I could always return it, and get a Roland r26 (I think I'd prefer the sound of the onboard mics)....but then I lose the multitracking option.

So, I hope someone can help!

cheers
dg

Someone posted this question on another forum (was it you?).

I had the guy from Olympus at my premises yesterday and copied this question over to him.

The LS-100 has only just come out in the last day or two in the UK.

I have had a reply from him to say that they are evaluating all the feedback from the LS-100 with v1 firmware and everything is being shared with HQ in Japan.  So expect improvements on the next firmware update.

Olympus are being very pro-active and listening very much to user feedback.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com