Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: monitor levels (JB3 content)  (Read 5672 times)

Offline Brendan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
monitor levels (JB3 content)
« on: March 21, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »
so basically you want the meter to be at zero the whole time?

Offline Brendan

• Taperssection Regular
monitor levels (JB3 content)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 04:48:03 PM »
im really confused on how to set the bars or meters.. w/e they are called... like someone told me that in order to tape the white stripes or the mars volta... i need to set the Jb3 to medium/low.. how do i do that?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 04:50:12 PM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline kfrinkle

• Needs to get out more...
    • Karl Frinkle Dot Net
Re: monitor levels (JB3 content)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 04:52:27 PM »
It really depends on your set up.  I run two rigs, sometimes both for certain shows:

CSB > spsb-1 > JB3 (20gb)

CMC-8 > spsb-3 > JB3 (40gb)

For the CSB rig, I go line-in +0dB and I will never have to worry about clipping.
For the CMC-8 rig, I also go line-in, usually +0dB, if it is insanely loud, i might go down to -2 or -4dB, just to be safe, but I have never had a problem with those settings yet.  There are no high or low settings on the JB3.  Also, search around on here, there is no way yo ever want to go Mic-In, i did that once, and it was awful.
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »

No.  You want your peak levels to approach, but not hit, 0dB.  If your levels hit 0dB, you'll clip the recording - this does not sound good!

If you're running analog-in, i.e. no outboard ADC, you should probably run line-in on the JB3 and adjust your levels accordingly.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 05:28:02 PM »

No.  You want your peak levels to approach, but not hit, 0dB.  If your levels hit 0dB, you'll clip the recording - this does not sound good!

If you're running analog-in, i.e. no outboard ADC, you should probably run line-in on the JB3 and adjust your levels accordingly.

Yeah you want the levels to stay below 0 db (don't let them get into the seperate top area of the meters on the screen) but you usually want your Gain set to +0 db. Unless as was said it's a really loud show and you see your levels going too high, then set the gain down a little.
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline Brendan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 03:59:52 PM »
My rig is        At853C's>Ps-2(48v)>JB3
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 07:52:59 PM by DudeCountry »

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 10:22:19 AM »
be careful on using negative gain on the JB3, i think i read somewhere that can cause distortion problems with your recording and i know it happened to me with one of my JB3's....
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline Brendan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 06:37:29 PM »
so set the gain to the mics at 0 or set the gain on the Jb3 at 0, or both?

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 06:49:39 PM »

i don't think you have any gain option w/ the at853 > PS2.

for 0db on the JB3 just select line is as source and wav as file type and it will already be @ 0db gain, hit record and lock it.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

hexyjones

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 06:55:01 PM »

i don't think you have any gain option w/ the at853 > PS2.

for 0db on the JB3 just select line is as source and wav as file type and it will already be @ 0db gain, hit record and lock it.

Agree - you should get plenty of gain. And the odds of overload is pretty slim. Using this approach you might have to normalize a bit in post - you might find that the wavs come out at 70-75 percent(presuming a loud show)

I would resist trying to add gain with the JB3 - unless your levels are really really low...

Offline Brendan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 01:43:17 AM »
im still a little confuzzled... ive read all the JB3 FAQs but i still dont get... so with my rig do i need to adjust the sound level at the concert?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 04:02:31 AM »
im still a little confuzzled... ive read all the JB3 FAQs but i still dont get... so with my rig do i need to adjust the sound level at the concert?

Maybe, maybe not.  It depends on the loudness of the sound source.  Start running line-in on the JB3, gain at 0dB, and go from there.  If your levels are spiking and hitting 0dB on your JB3 level meters frequently, you'll want to reduce gain on your JB3.  Alternately, if your levels are waaaaay low on the JB3 - no where near 0dB - then you may want to add gain either on the JB3 or on your PC after you transfer.

Of course, how do you know what your levels are on the JB3 since there are no numbers listed?  For reference, DKlein has posted images in the NJB3 Tapers FAQ mapping how the JB3 meter bars match up to different dB levels.

There is no single rule to apply to all situations - if there was, boy would this be boring!  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brendan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 01:33:19 PM »
thanks for your help

TODDOW

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 03:01:23 PM »
I have experienced the opposite problem on several recordings with a SBD patch.  Using the Optical In on the JB3, you are unable to control the levels on the JB3 and must make adjustments to the signal before it gets to the JB3, such as adjusting levels on a A/D converter.  But my problem occured with a Hot SBD patch, in which I wanted to drop the level down below the 0dB I was given out of the board.  Are there any devices that will take a signal and drop it below 0dB.  I have heard about "de-essers," but I have yet to find a simple one that is battery operated.  Any and all help with this would be appreciated.

L8.
 8)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 03:07:30 PM »
I have experienced the opposite problem on several recordings with a SBD patch.  Using the Optical In on the JB3, you are unable to control the levels on the JB3 and must make adjustments to the signal before it gets to the JB3, such as adjusting levels on a A/D converter.  But my problem occured with a Hot SBD patch, in which I wanted to drop the level down below the 0dB I was given out of the board.  Are there any devices that will take a signal and drop it below 0dB.  I have heard about "de-essers," but I have yet to find a simple one that is battery operated.  Any and all help with this would be appreciated.

L8.
 8)

A15AS - Shure attenuators.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com