Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722/44 or WHAT!  (Read 10852 times)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Re: 722/44 or WHAT!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 10:10:26 AM »
Im running 4022>722 and love it. All 5 shows with this thing are great sounding and I have not seen any issues with it at all. Although Im thinking of a new pair of MICs its not due to the 722. I just want to run some U89s for a while  ;D have fun listening and deciding what you want, thats the fun part of this game at least for me it is..

Do you dump then format the HD after every use, which bit rate are you using?  Which firmware are you running?  I'd love to pick one up, but the other threads make the 722 sound like anything but stable.  If you've found the way to keep one going without "disk full" or drive fragmented errors, I'd like to know how, it looks like an awsome unit to run.

my experience is that the 722 is absolutely stable with the current FW release....1.37...I have not had any problems, nor have I heard of any since that release came out...

I like the sound of that, once they have the firmware all straight, this thing should be unstoppable...

Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 10:19:52 AM »
Im running 4022>722 and love it. All 5 shows with this thing are great sounding and I have not seen any issues with it at all. Although Im thinking of a new pair of MICs its not due to the 722. I just want to run some U89s for a while  ;D have fun listening and deciding what you want, thats the fun part of this game at least for me it is..

Do you dump then format the HD after every use, which bit rate are you using?  Which firmware are you running?  I'd love to pick one up, but the other threads make the 722 sound like anything but stable.  If you've found the way to keep one going without "disk full" or drive fragmented errors, I'd like to know how, it looks like an awsome unit to run.

my experience is that the 722 is absolutely stable with the current FW release....1.37...I have not had any problems, nor have I heard of any since that release came out...

I like the sound of that, once they have the firmware all straight, this thing should be unstoppable...

The current firmware is straight enough, imo. Buy one now, upgrade firmware later.

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2005, 10:21:05 AM »
When v2's are fetching almost as much as a v3, I don't see the point in dumping the v3.

Huh?  Used prices for V2s run ~$600, V3s ~$1200.  Half = almost as much?

I thought v2's were going for about $700-$750 and v3's for $900-$1000, maybe slightly more with an opti mod. 

V2's go for 600-650.  I haven't seen a non-opti-mod V3 go for less than 1100.  I think MAYBE someone let one go for 1050, but that's it.  then again, i could be wrong. 

Damn, maybe I have to pick up a V2, I haven't seen many up for sale lately.  

If you can afford to drop +/- $2300 on a 722 is there a point in dumping the V3 and losing the nice meters and a/d?  If you were to have a problem with the 722, I'd much rather have a V3 as opposed to the V2 as a backup, 16/48 w/ANSR sounds pretty damn good.  Losing the a/d and meters, selling a unit you've taken care of and picking up a used V2 for $450-$550 max doesn't sound all that appealing. 

On a side note, who knows Bri, IF you were to pick up the 722, you might like the pre-a/d of the unit to run it as an all-in-one.  I'd at least hold off on selling the V3 until you've ran the 722, there might not even be a point in swapping V2 for V3 and you can just plain dump the V3. 

edit: horrible grammar
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 10:28:17 AM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2005, 10:24:55 AM »
the metering problems on the 722 are overblown imo...sure it would be nice to get some more resolution at the higher end of the spectrum, but after a show or two you get the hand of the meters, and at that point they are definitely in line with most other pro gear.

As for keeping the V3, I can buy the argument that you keep it for the preamp...I am guessing that the grace pre probably sounds better in some lineages than the 722 preamp does....though I dont think the difference would be significant enough for me personally to carry another box, interconnects and a 6 Volt...but I know some will be willing.  Definitely a personal preference....

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2005, 10:25:38 AM »
keep the v3 & record onto the MAudio CF recorder!

that's the plan here

me too, or possibly the new sonosax mini when and if it comes out.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2005, 10:30:12 AM »
the metering problems on the 722 are overblown imo...sure it would be nice to get some more resolution at the higher end of the spectrum, but after a show or two you get the hand of the meters, and at that point they are definitely in line with most other pro gear.

As for keeping the V3, I can buy the argument that you keep it for the preamp...I am guessing that the grace pre probably sounds better in some lineages than the 722 preamp does....though I dont think the difference would be significant enough for me personally to carry another box, interconnects and a 6 Volt...but I know some will be willing.  Definitely a personal preference....

1 box is nice for sure, but a v2 and a 6 volt is really not that much more to carry.  if we were talking 12 volts, i'd be more inclined to agree.  plus, like i was saying he has the low profile option to run mic-in.  like i was saying to you at michael's house nick, i'll be curious what you think of the 722 front end after you've run it for a few months and then ran an outboard pre.  like i said, it's not a bad sounding box at all, a matter of preference.

as for the metering issues, the 722 meters are not bad, they take some getting used to, and i wish there was more resolution in the top end as nick says.  definitely not a reason to stay away from the box at all.  plus, the v2's meters are the same as the v3 resolution wise, so there's nothing lost there.  and you can calibrate the 722 to the v2 so that you're running gain solely on the v2. 

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 10:31:49 AM »
Hey now,

Been spun away from doing any taping for the last few months due to a tremendous amount of work that has finally started to subside! I really need to get rid of the P1, it's about to celebrate it's 8th birthday, and I think it's time for her to retire. I really want to go with one of those fancy HD recorders and lose my V3, but I have been hearing that the pre-amp stages are really not up to snuff. I have seen some lineages tho with Skeps>722, but havent heard the tapes. Any advice for the guy who has been out of the loop?

Thanks!
Bri

Check out the Edirol R4 too, 4 channels for $1400.  :-X

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 10:34:51 AM »
like i was saying to you at michael's house nick, i'll be curious what you think of the 722 front end after you've run it for a few months and then ran an outboard pre. like i said, it's not a bad sounding box at all, a matter of preference.

agreed, I definitely reserve the right to change my mind...:P  I have run it probably 8 times and have liked what I heard so far...definitely need to give it some more runs before I can really form a solid opinion....I always thought that the MGs sang with the MP2->Mod SBM1 combo and I think this box has some of those same characteristics...time will tell though

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2005, 11:15:49 AM »

that's the plan here

It's still too early in the game for me to give a definitive opinion on the sound of the SD boxes but from what I have heard so far they are definitely colored in a way that I don't think they are complimentary to the schoeps... they seem like great boxes overall but sonically I think the coloration of the sd box combined with the coloration of the schoeps is a bit much... ymmv

this coming from a guy who ran u89>mme and you're saying too much color?  I'm in a very luck position to have partnered with a couple of guys and can pick and choose what gear to run on any given night.  Bad soundingroom? Lots of color to warm up the room nasties.  Great sounding room/onstage/outdoors?  Crisp detail in all its glory.  I like the warmth the SD gives, but I can see some not liking it when they are used to all the detail, for better or worse. 

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2005, 11:17:06 AM »

that's the plan here

It's still too early in the game for me to give a definitive opinion on the sound of the SD boxes but from what I have heard so far they are definitely colored in a way that I don't think they are complimentary to the schoeps... they seem like great boxes overall but sonically I think the coloration of the sd box combined with the coloration of the schoeps is a bit much... ymmv

this coming from a guy who ran u89>mme and you're saying too much color?

we've all made mistakes :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2005, 11:26:50 AM »
this coming from a guy who ran u89>mme...

Don't forget about the brick ;)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 12:39:05 PM »
nick,
i'm curious as to what you think of the sound on your 4/30 black crowes recording(the one with descending)? i run mg's and was on the 722 list at one time but i pulled back. i grabbed that show you did and just got a decent chance to listen this past week while on vacation. is this one of the better examples of what the mg/sd combo will do in your opinion? i honestly haven't had the time to track down any other shows to compare so pardon my laziness...

yes I think that show is a great example of what that box is capable of.  Another good one from a club environment is big head todd which is up on the archive...3/1/05.  I will let you be the judge as to the sound, but bottom line...I like it...alot

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 01:03:08 PM »
thanks everbody! Got some generous offers to demo some units... I think thats prolly the best first step! Thanks a bunch!

Bri

Offline Brian

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 01:11:07 PM »
thanks everbody! Got some generous offers to demo some units... I think thats prolly the best first step! Thanks a bunch!

Bri

sweet!  getting demo units rock! 8)  and it's pleasure to help answer any questions our fearless leader has :)

best of luck in your decision making

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 02:23:17 PM »

I'd loan you my DEVA, but somehow I think once you used it, you would never want to give it back.  ;D

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.152 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com