Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack Bug Report  (Read 53929 times)

Offline oleg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
Re: Microtrack Bug Report
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2005, 03:03:57 PM »
660 mb partition would be nice 2 for these who burn CD later

, and it's not a good idea either.
why is that?
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2005, 03:25:34 PM »
why is that?

What happens if at, say the 659MB mark, they are in the middle of a 10 minute song?  By using your logic, an autosplit would be created to fit the first 660MB onto a CD, leaving the next 5 minutes of the song on CD 2.

Using CD Wave to split the tracks works fine.

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »
That's why you have 2 gb split:-) not to mention what happens if you are on 2gb mark and the band still have 10 minutes:-)
sorry to say but still  more people use cd for moving and keeping data then dvd( i use both).
and for me 2 burn 2 cd in the end of the day is much faster then burn dvd  without need to go edit ,split and cettera.
eventually this small unit was made for everyone use , home musisians ,people who recording lecturs ,separate recording for low cost video industry, privet investigators and maybe few tappers :-)
so if this spesific 660 split is not useful for you, you  really dont have to use it , i will be happy to get it since it will make my life a little bit easier  :-)
best

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2005, 04:07:22 PM »
If I were an MT2496 owner, I'd be wary of asking for unnecessary feature enhancements since they may put bug fixes at risk.  I can all but guarantee M-Audio's priorities are not quite the same as ours, and by suggesting new features along with bug fixes gives them an opportunity to prioritize new features over bug fixes, self-justifying due to "user demand".  Paranoid?  Perhaps.  But I've seen it happen in the s/w dev world, no reason it couldn't or wouldn't happen in this arena as well.  Something to think about, that's all.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2005, 04:18:02 PM »
If I were an MT2496 owner, I'd be wary of asking for unnecessary feature enhancements since they may put bug fixes at risk.  I can all but guarantee M-Audio's priorities are not quite the same as ours, and by suggesting new features along with bug fixes gives them an opportunity to prioritize new features over bug fixes, self-justifying due to "user demand".  Paranoid?  Perhaps.  But I've seen it happen in the s/w dev world, no reason it couldn't or wouldn't happen in this arena as well.  Something to think about, that's all.

Exactly.  Lets get the big stuff working first (like SPDIF recording) and worry about the rest later. 
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2005, 04:29:58 PM »
from other hand if you will ask for more eventually you will get more , if you will ask for less you will get less , i think that this virtual negotiation with the manufacturer ( i hope they read it) is eventually to  bring the product for optimal needs for everyone use .this group of people maybe the only one which talking about actual recorder needs and  it falls , the other just vote by their vollet and not buying it , i prefer that the voice would be as wider as it can and would come  not only from the tapper community since i dont think we are the brad for this company,
 but   i'm sure they wont the butter 2 :-)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2005, 04:39:25 PM »
from other hand if you will ask for more eventually you will get more , if you will ask for less you will get less

Given limited money and resources - and M-Audio has limited money and resources just like every business - asking for more will not get you more, it will simply provide an opportunity for M-Audio to prioritize based on their perspective, not ours.  I'm not suggesting we shouldn't ask for new features, but rather that it may prove prudent to delay new feature requests until after key bug-fix requests are addressed.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2005, 04:51:52 PM »
sorry i dint ask for tc - just for 660mb partition , 20 minutes for programist :-)
m-audio wants to take as much it can for the low cost cf recorder market , i dont see any problem with that if they can bring better device and not only fix the mess .

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2005, 05:40:15 PM »
from other hand if you will ask for more eventually you will get more , if you will ask for less you will get less

And if they ask for bug reports and get feature requests, they'll wonder about our reading comprehension skills. Not that Frank isn't capable of synthesizing this stuff and weeding out what probably shouldn't be asked for at this point, but if they're willing to listen to bug reports, let's respect that and keep the feedback focused.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2005, 08:46:29 PM »
That's why you have 2 gb split:-) not to mention what happens if you are on 2gb mark and the band still have 10 minutes:-)
sorry to say but still  more people use cd for moving and keeping data then dvd( i use both).
and for me 2 burn 2 cd in the end of the day is much faster then burn dvd  without need to go edit ,split and cettera.
eventually this small unit was made for everyone use , home musisians ,people who recording lecturs ,separate recording for low cost video industry, privet investigators and maybe few tappers :-)
so if this spesific 660 split is not useful for you, you  really dont have to use it , i will be happy to get it since it will make my life a little bit easier  :-)
best

Sure most of us use cd's, but since we also have to split the songs into separate tracks and having an automatic 660 mb partition split does us no good whatsoever. In fact, we'd have to re-combine the split since in all likelihood it would be in the middle of a track. I'd wager none of us just burn their recordings to cd w/o any track splits whatsoever, hell that's a sure way to get on someones "bad trader" list.

Offline sunrisemusic

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2005, 09:12:39 PM »
Hmmm, I hadn't originally seen having a Rec/Pause monitoring (both levels and audio) as a feature request. This is because I had naturally assumed that it was a feature of the recorder before I bought it and only found out to my total surprise afterward that it wasn't. I don't think there's any recorder out there that doesn't have this feature. (correct me if I'm wrong about that). So in my eyes this is a bug, though in actual fact, yes, I guess it is a feature request. M-Audio should realise that there will be a lot of people out there that it as a kinda bug though. That kinda thing should be mandatory.

Okay, let them fix the other stuff first, but that's my 2c anyway.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2005, 09:20:20 PM »
best

Sure most of us use cd's, but since we also have to split the songs into separate tracks and having an automatic 660 mb partition split does us no good whatsoever. In fact, we'd have to re-combine the split since in all likelihood it would be in the middle of a track. I'd wager none of us just burn their recordings to cd w/o any track splits whatsoever, hell that's a sure way to get on someones "bad trader" list.

Guys - he wants it to be an option, not a mandatory setting.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pietje

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2005, 07:11:30 AM »
Hmmm, I hadn't originally seen having a Rec/Pause monitoring (both levels and audio) as a feature request. This is because I had naturally assumed that it was a feature of the recorder before I bought it and only found out to my total surprise afterward that it wasn't. I don't think there's any recorder out there that doesn't have this feature. (correct me if I'm wrong about that). So in my eyes this is a bug, though in actual fact, yes, I guess it is a feature request. M-Audio should realise that there will be a lot of people out there that it as a kinda bug though. That kinda thing should be mandatory.

In the manual I read: 8. Enable INPUT MONITORING. This will allow you to see the level of your incoming signal on the MicroTrack 24/96 s on-screen meters before you start to record. This option is enabled by default, but you can manually adjust it by using the [MENU] key and the [NAV] wheel to select  Record Settings  >  Input Monitoring.  Select  On  and press in on the [NAV] wheel to activate.

Did you try this?

Offline pietje

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2005, 07:30:27 AM »
bugs:
  • no 24bit S/PDIF
  • unit freezing up at random
  • M/L/H switch is reversed
  • 30v max on Phantom on stead of advertised 48v
  • battery life seems to be falling well short of advertised life
  • some sort of problem with the "first file"
  • 2GB file limit
  • no D/A during digital in (for monitoring)
  • no level monitoring on pause/stop
  • annoying glitch/pop in headphones when saving recordings, and sometimes also when beginning recordings

• S/PDIF defines audio up to 20 bits, 24 bit is no standard. Many implementations are limited to 16 bits. see http://www.tech-faq.com/spdif.shtml
  • There seems to be some corelation between hangs and non-standard SPDIV
  • Many (most) microphones will accept a range of phantom voltages e.g. 10-52V
  • Level monitoring should be present with correct menu settings
  • The 2GB file size limit implies you should split recordings longer than 2 hours (48000/24) in two takes.
  • There are different reports on battery lifetime from the same person.

I don't think mentioned bugs are real showstoppers. I've not seen any negative reports on preamps and ADC's.

Offline rdvdijk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2005, 07:38:50 AM »

• S/PDIF defines audio up to 20 bits, 24 bit is no standard. Many implementations are limited to 16 bits. see http://www.tech-faq.com/spdif.shtml
  • There seems to be some corelation between hangs and non-standard SPDIV
  • Many (most) microphones will accept a range of phantom voltages e.g. 10-52V
  • Level monitoring should be present with correct menu settings
  • The 2GB file size limit implies you should split recordings longer than 2 hours (48000/24) in two takes.
  • There are different reports on battery lifetime from the same person.

I don't think mentioned bugs are real showstoppers. I've not seen any negative reports on preamps and ADC's.

Thanks for clearing up some 'bugs', pietje (a fellow Dutchman, I suppose?). Still it holds that the phantom-power switch is labelled '48v' but is actually 30v. Many users on this board still want to use 24bit S/PDIF input, though, and they probably won't buy a MicroTrack if it doesn't.

I read in another thread that someone has run a phantom powered recording for 2 hours and 40 minutes, and that's pretty close to the advertised 3 hours, so that's great.

Roel
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 07:44:58 AM by rdvdijk »
"Obviously Doing Well.."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.263 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com