Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-1 corrupted .WAV file stuck on CF card !!  (Read 2636 times)

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Edirol R-1 corrupted .WAV file stuck on CF card !!
« on: January 31, 2006, 10:13:56 PM »
This past weekend, I *stealth*-recorded a short 75-minute show in NYC, of which no one else recorded of course--not even the band. 45 minutes into the recording, my batteries died. (The batteries were 2 year-old Energizer rechargables--2300 mAh). I did not notice the batteries died until about 15 minutes after it happened, when I looked at the recorder during the encore break. I immediately replaced the batteries with used Energizer Lithium Ions I had in my backpack. They powered the R-1 for the encore and for playback of the entire show on my trip home.

I am posting to find out how to rescue the .WAV file that is stuck on my compact flash card. The first file, R1_0001.WAV was finished when the batteries died. The second file, R1_0002.WAV was finished by me pressing STOP, so this file transferred perfectly via USB 2.0  I tried transferring the first file via USB 2.0 several times on my PC, then on my Mac. Each time, I received this error message:

Error Copying File or Folder
                Cannot copy R1_0001: Cannot find the specified file.
                Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

The file plays back perfectly on my R-1, however. I wrote Frank at Cascade media, where I purchased my stock R-1, and he told me to transfer the audio via the optical output, or at least the analog line output. Another taper, who owns an R-1, told me to do the same, but to them run CHKDSK on the corrupted .WAV file. I did searching on google.com and found a program called Winhex used to fixed corrupted files on compact flash cards. I downoaded it, checked my two .WAV files on the CF card, but did not understand how to use it, however.

Please, if anyone knows of how to rescue or edit a corrupted .WAV file like this so that it can be transferred off the card, tell me how to do so.

Thank you,
Tom in NJ

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: Edirol R-1 corrupted .WAV file stuck on CF card !!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 10:29:43 PM »
This is weird.  After about a year of recording with first a stock and then an Oade moded R1, where the only errors of this kind I experienced came from accidentally hitting the power off (this leads to a zero-bit file that can be recovered via the chkdsk method), I had a battery failure last Friday which resulted in the same corrupted file message, chkdsk refused to operate in /f mode as it saw a read-only drive on my CF card.  I eventually gave up and reformated it in the R1 successfully, but lost the 700 MB or so that was recorded before the battery failed, usually a dying battery will cause a halt with a valid file save.  I was using the Battery Station knock-off lithium AAs, I've used about 200 or more of these.  They clock out at 8 hours instead of 8.75 hours with the Energizers when I've measured, but maybe quality control is an issue (I now suspect that I had another failure last summer, which I laid to not remembereing to change them out in time, but this time I KNOW I had only about 4 hours on them). Anyway, for the moment I'm assuming its the batteries and not something flaky in the R1 or Oade mod, and I'm using Energizers, though they cost double what the knock-offs run in quantity.

Jeff (taped three concerts over the weekend and one last night, everything running fine)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 10:43:30 PM »
I'm not an R1 owner, but I did help WifiJeff with one a while back.

Run chkdsk with the /f option. This should recover any lost sectors and fixup the file allocation table if necessary.

At that point, the wav file header still may contain incorrect counts. You can use my audiohack tool for that (search the forum for a thread about "0 byte file"). You can alternatively import the raw data into Adobe Audition or CoolEdit to recover the file. Samplitude 7 or greater can also be used for this.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 11:11:15 PM »
Just curious if you tried more than once to transfer the file. I recall getting a similiar error when trying to transfer a file, but on a second attempt the file transfered without error. Hope you can recover. +T for your troubles and choice of recorder. ;) Loving the R1 right now...
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 01:40:20 AM »
Hey everyone, thank you for your replies.
One addition to my original post: my file is reported as ~700 MB, not 0 MB like other corrupt files are reported.
I tried transferring again and was SUCCESSFUL on the Mac G4, using a brand new (unused) Orange Micro USB 2.0/Firewire PCI card. Before that, the G4 had USB 1.1 since it is from 1999.
It still will not transfer onto my IBM ThinkPad, so I assume Windows sees the corrupt data.
Should I still run CHKDSK on the corrupted file anyway?

Thanks,
Tom in NJ

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 08:39:36 AM »
I had a similar problem with a CF card and my MicroTrack.  I was able to transfer to my fiance's mac laptop, but my windows computer couldn't copy of the files.  I then tried the CHKDSK /f thing that people suggested, and it fixed it up and I was then able to copy the files directly to my windows computer.  I'd suggest trying it.

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 09:15:21 AM »
tom, for the third time, here's the FAQ entry i've referenced each time you've IMed me on this subject. 

when you ask someone a question and it is suggested that you consult the FAQ, it boggles me why you wouldn't follow that advice.  hmmph.

----------------

What if Iaccidentally turn off my R-1 or unplug it while it is recording? How do I recover my recording? (submitted 4/17/2005)
Connect your R-1 to a Windows XP or Windows 2000 computer. Click Start, Run, and type in:

CMD

Then, click OK.

In the black DOS window, type the drive letter for your R-1's flash drive, followed by a colon and hit enter. Example:

F:

Then, type:

chkdsk /f

The file that you have recovered is now able to be imported into an audio editor that supports RAW audio import.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 10:01:36 AM »
I've had this happen too, and it was a direct result of not using the method of disconnecting the R-1 from the computer as noted in the manual.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 04:32:16 PM »
Just fyi, because this will invariably happen to someone again.  There are a ton of programs, some free, which recover any and all data off of a corrupted flash card.  Just go to google and type in search terms such as "corrupted flash" and the programs will be there.

D~
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com