Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Drop Outs in Right Channel...722 issue?  (Read 7878 times)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Drop Outs in Right Channel...722 issue?
« on: July 28, 2006, 02:23:23 PM »
had some dropouts in my right channel last night during the 2nd set. this is now the 2nd time it has happened to me, the other being during STS9 at Wakarusa. essentially what happens is the channel will spike all the way up to 0db then drop down with no signal for a few seconds. sometimes it does it a couple times back to back, othertimes it happens once randomly. i noticed it happen at least 10 times within a 20 minute span or so in the middle of the set, i never once saw an issue during the 1st set or the 2nd half of the 2nd set. i was running pretty much completely different gear except for the 722 and my jw mod bodies. i was using different XLRS between the mics and the pre and using a different interconnect than I was using last time for the right channel between the pre and 722. this leads me to believe it is a problem with the 722 as I doubt I coincidentally used the same mic body in the right channel both times I happened to have any issues. i plan on contacting Sound Devices but wanted to see if anyone here had any similar issues or had any ideas what it could be. I won't have a chance to upload samples or post screen shots of the wave form until tomorrow. i have no clue how to test/reproduce the problem since i have used the 722 for at least 50 hours and only had this problem twice. i have also noticed some clicks/pops in other shows which I now suspect may be a result of the 722.

Gear -
last night - mod460/ck63 >Sonosax > 722
STS9 - mod460/ck61 > v2 > 722
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Drop Outs in Right Channel...722 issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 03:18:53 PM »
sounds like some of the same symptoms I had when the A/D board in my unit was bad.  Did it sound like pops on the recording? 

I remember they mass replaced A/D boards last year...maybe you got some old stock...they could tell you for certain based on your serial number

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 03:29:56 PM »
sounds like some of the same symptoms I had when the A/D board in my unit was bad.  Did it sound like pops on the recording? 

I remember they mass replaced A/D boards last year...maybe you got some old stock...they could tell you for certain based on your serial number

i haven't had a chance to listen to last nights issues, but when I had the same issues with STS9 it would clip/pop then drop out and sometimes pop again when the channel came back. its the damn inconsistency that really has me thrown off

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 03:43:35 PM »

i haven't had a chance to listen to last nights issues, but when I had the same issues with STS9 it would clip/pop then drop out and sometimes pop again when the channel came back. its the damn inconsistency that really has me thrown off

sounds like the A/D board...similar on mine...one show, it would go back and forth on that channel, then reset itself and act fine...definitely call SD

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 03:51:47 PM »

sounds like the A/D board...similar on mine...one show, it would go back and forth on that channel, then reset itself and act fine...definitely call SD

Thanks Nick - I'm calling them on my lunch break. did you have to send your 722 in or did they send you the board and you made the swap yourself? if you mailed it in, do you remember the total turnaround time?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 04:06:20 PM »

Thanks Nick - I'm calling them on my lunch break. did you have to send your 722 in or did they send you the board and you made the swap yourself? if you mailed it in, do you remember the total turnaround time?

I did the swap myself...a pain in the ass to get the case lined up...it has to be lined up perfectly to get it back together.  I did send mine to them for a LCD issue that I had (lose connection issue) and they turned that in no time..sent on Monday, had it in my hands on Friday

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 04:22:15 PM »

I did the swap myself...a pain in the ass to get the case lined up...it has to be lined up perfectly to get it back together.  I did send mine to them for a LCD issue that I had (lose connection issue) and they turned that in no time..sent on Monday, had it in my hands on Friday

what was the LCD issue? every once in a while when i power up or down I get some crazy pixilation going on, mainly when its powering up with the Sound Devices logo

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 05:41:10 PM »
i noticed a few digi-like pops/clicks on my bisco tape from allgood, but it hapopened twice and was only at the beginning of the set and then gone and not on anything else that weekend ???

i did notice a small click on the rre tape actually, wonder whats up?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 06:52:49 PM »
spoke with Nicholas over at Sound Devices. He had not heard of any issues like mine before. I suggested that it could be the A/D board and he said while possible, it would be highly unlikely since they have replaced the boards long ago and haven't been having issues since. He also said that if it was an A/D issue that it wouldn't completely loose the audio signal but would likely add noise like pops/clicks. He wants me to send in the preamps I used as well. I can't send the Sax since its not mine, but I am hesitant to send my V2 as well as I am sure the problem is not the external pre since I had the issue with 2 different pres plus I would like to keep it around to use while the 722 is out of commission. 

im gonna send in the 722 on Tuesday with samples and screen shots of the wave forms

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 06:58:40 PM »
interesting...keep us posted on the issue.

As for the LCD issue, mine would go from normal brightness to very faint, to the point you couldnt see it, randomly.  Sent it in 6 months ago, havent had a problem since

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 08:09:37 PM »
mikey, since you used diff pres and it was present in both, it has to be either

1. 722
2. mics(are your screws on the 460 bodies tight enough? i had weird problems with mine in 2000 and all i had to do was tighten the body screw a bit
3. cables?
4. battery cables?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 08:22:18 PM »
mikey, since you used diff pres and it was present in both, it has to be either

1. 722
2. mics(are your screws on the 460 bodies tight enough? i had weird problems with mine in 2000 and all i had to do was tighten the body screw a bit
3. cables?
4. battery cables?

1 - this is my primary suspect now
2- i will check the screws but i would think if that was the case the problem would occur more frequently or at least wouldn't all of a sudden stop. there is a possibility that it is one of the bodies, but it would be a coincidence that the same body was used for the right channel both times the issue occured. i wish i had a pre with meters on it so i could have seen if the signal was droppped before or after it reached the preamp
3 - i was using different cables from mic > pre and different interconnect for the right channel for pre > 722 so I have eliminated that possibility
4 - the only power cables involved were those powering the preamps - while possible, i eliminated that as well when I eliminated the chance it was a preamp

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 08:28:37 PM »
 :-\

you're welcome to use mine... although i gotta clear off the HD ;)

hehehe ;)

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 08:31:12 PM »

hehehe ;)

i think i'll be fine tonight, plus I'd rather get more than the 20minutes of run time at 16/44.1  you have left on that HD :P ;D  8)

you should tape from VIP tonigh bro- the spot where Mike was setup didn't look too bad, although I don't know whatd you do without me to babysit your gear all night again  :P

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 08:32:26 PM »

hehehe ;)

i wanna give that sax a run, i know there has to be one near pittsburgh i can borrow

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com