Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R09 and formatting a 4g fc (sd) ?  (Read 5355 times)

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Take Time to Listen!
R09 and formatting a 4g fc (sd) ?
« on: August 30, 2006, 02:16:27 PM »
TS-
My buddy is having a haard time formatting his card for the r09. I think he tried to do it in the unit, but couldnt figure it out. He's beeen trying to do it on a pc, and it's not working out. I offered to try to format it in my MT2496 for him. will this work for use with the card and his r09? Will it screw up my MT deck?

carl
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 07:54:15 PM by svenkid »
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: R09 and formatting a 4g fc?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 02:52:03 PM »
The MT will only work with Compact Flash, not SD, so that definitely won't work...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 03:02:13 PM »
what specifically is failing when he's trying to format on the PC?

it's pretty straightforward, maybe he's just not familiar with the process.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 03:03:31 PM »
he could try formatting it in a camera. it worked for spreadheadtom.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 07:53:35 PM »
yeah, I just saw the size of the sd card! that bugger is way too small for the MT. Im hoping my buddy who's having the issues will chime in soon to clarify exactly where he's having problems....paging Doug  :alert:
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: R09 and formatting a 4g fc (sd) ?
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 12:06:41 AM »
The 4GB SD cards are problematic in some computers.  For example, I have two older HP laptops (Windows XP SP2) that refuse to work with the Transcend 4GB SD card, but the card works fine in a newer Dell (Windows XP Media Center).   The solution is to purchase a new USB card reader that the SD card manufacturer says will work with the 4GB cards.  Transcend sells one for $15 that works with their 4GB cards.

The same applies to digital cameras.  Some older models can't deal with 4GB. Other, usually newer, cameras work fine with 4GB.  I used a newer Canon A530 and the 4GB SD card worked fine (nice camera for $175, btw).

Flintstone

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 04:24:04 AM »
The 4GB SD cards are problematic in some computers.  For example, I have two older HP laptops (Windows XP SP2) that refuse to work with the Transcend 4GB SD card, but the card works fine in a newer Dell (Windows XP Media Center).   The solution is to purchase a new USB card reader that the SD card manufacturer says will work with the 4GB cards.  Transcend sells one for $15 that works with their 4GB cards.

The same applies to digital cameras.  Some older models can't deal with 4GB. Other, usually newer, cameras work fine with 4GB.  I used a newer Canon A530 and the 4GB SD card worked fine (nice camera for $175, btw).

Flintstone

well, like with anything else, if you've got a laptop that can't adequately deal with 4gb secure digital media, make sure the PC has been flashed with the latest firmware and has all available driver updates.

in the case of my girlfriend's laptop, this time last summer it wasn't able to do anything with compactflash or SD over 512kb.  after updates, no problem reading any card i throw at it.

YMMV.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 04:55:52 PM »
FWIW, my cheapo three month old Compaq(HP) laptop with built-in card reader won't read the Trancend 4GB card, even after a driver update, but I can format the card using that computer with the recorder attached via USB.  Recorder when attached via USB ppears as a flash drive, format from Explorer in Windows.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 10:51:34 AM »
Right, and you could format the 4GB card if you attached a $15 USB card reader
from Transcend to your laptop.  The firmware in the USB card reader handles
the chore of communicating with the card.

A USB card reader has two advantages over connecting the recorder to
the computer.  First, the rate of data transfer is much faster.  Second,
you don't run down the battery of the recorder to make the transfer.

Flintstone

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 03:25:52 PM »
we used his card formatting thing with the 4g sd card on my computer and it all worked fine. thanks for all the replys.
Im thinking the issue was with the actual computer used.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 09:48:22 AM »

If the transfer is signifigantly faster I may pick one of those readers up.  I've been plugging in the AC adaptor when doing transfers so battery power hasn't been an issue, but I haven't transfered 'off the grid' yet.  Not wanting to jump the psychological hurdle of adding an external card reader to the laptop that has one built in, I've been holding out to see if CompaQ will release a card reader driver update.  Any word on how much faster transfer is via Trancend's $15 reader than the R-09>USB route?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 10:13:40 AM »

If the transfer is signifigantly faster I may pick one of those readers up.

Some readers are SLOW.  I found a benchmark on 4GB SD compat readers when I bought mine but I can no longer find that page.  The fastest one was 7MB/sec, the SIIG Hi-SPeed USB 18-in-1 R/W JYC152800122 JU-PC1812-S1 (number from side of reader). Newegg no longer seems to carry it but the invoice number was:

15-150-059    SIIG 18IN1 U2CRD RDR JU-PC1812-S1RT

I don't bother removing the card from the r09 for transfers but that's just me..

Offline joekar

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 01:32:13 PM »
I have a 5 year old Sandisk USB powered card reader and it takes about 30-60 seconds to transfer 2 gigs..from a Kingston 45x SD card...into a Mac G5......I don't know the exact tranfer rate/speed but it is lickety split....
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 01:55:55 PM »
I have a 5 year old Sandisk USB powered card reader and it takes about 30-60 seconds to transfer 2 gigs..from a Kingston 45x SD card...into a Mac G5......I don't know the exact tranfer rate/speed but it is lickety split....

Damn that is quick I might have to pick one up myself.  ;)
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 02:36:36 PM »
Damn that is quick I might have to pick one up myself.  ;)

I'll bet you a beer that you never see anything close to that  ;)

Nah, I'd lose  :P

You think any cards readers will transfer faster than the R-09?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com