Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R09 and AT E/S943 mics  (Read 5180 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
R09 and AT E/S943 mics
« on: January 22, 2007, 08:35:49 AM »
Is the PIP (plug-in power) on the Edirol R-09 sufficient for the AT micros?

Has anyone attempted this in higher SPL concert settings?
How about acoustic performances near stage?

Dang, does the thought of a high-quality, all-in-one pocket recorder seem tempting!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: R09 and AT E/S943 mics
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 09:00:28 AM »

Dang, does the thought of a high-quality, all-in-one pocket recorder seem tempting!

If you do the mod I do for these mics you can go straight in my Friend recorded the WHO 5th row with my cardioids no battery box or preamp and 0 distortion. So yes it can be done just not with the way these mics come stock. You have to put in a 4.7k resistor between the Red wire and ground when your going 2 wire.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 10:18:47 AM »

If you do the mod I do for these mics you can go straight in my Friend recorded the WHO 5th row with my cardioids no battery box or preamp and 0 distortion. So yes it can be done just not with the way these mics come stock. You have to put in a 4.7k resistor between the Red wire and ground when your going 2 wire.

Hey Chris.  Someone probably posted this already, but do you know the PIP voltage the R09 produces?

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 12:36:34 PM »

Hey Chris.  Someone probably posted this already, but do you know the PIP voltage the R09 produces?

Richard

I think its like 2.5 or something like that. From my tests and this is going to sound nuts, but bias voltage has little effect on the amount of SPL and lack of distortion that a mic will handle. My tests between 10volts and 2.5 volts produced very little difference in the way of increased headroom from increased voltage.

Chris Church

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 01:08:45 PM »

Richard

I think its like 2.5 or something like that. From my tests and this is going to sound nuts, but bias voltage has little effect on the amount of SPL and lack of distortion that a mic will handle. My tests between 10volts and 2.5 volts produced very little difference in the way of increased headroom from increased voltage.

Chris Church

Nice.  I've tried to power some mics off of Minidisc plug-in-power and it is hit and miss.  They will work, but you have to be careful that the voltage drop across the resistor is not too high (otherwise there is not enough voltage left for the FET).  Aim for something like 0.75V or even 0.5V.  The resistor depends on the quiescent (idle) current through the FET.  For AT853 type mics, the current is approx 0.1 to 0.15mA.  So, a 4.7k resistor will give approx 0.5V drop, which is perfect.  I'll have to try this :).

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 01:20:54 PM »
Hi,
   I've use my 943's directly plugged into to my R-09.......I had a problem with distortion.....but I was  sitting 10 feet from the left stack....( it was very LOUD at times).....Hey Chris I was just wondering if you would consider making/selling a y-cable (1/8 in and out), for people with individually terminated mics., with the resistor incorporated into the wires......That way we (I) could just use your modified cable in high SPL situation.......Just a thought....LMK.

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 01:42:39 PM »

Richard

Chris Church

Nice.  I've tried to power some mics off of Minidisc plug-in-power and it is hit and miss.  They will work, but you have to be careful that the voltage drop across the resistor is not too high (otherwise there is not enough voltage left for the FET).  Aim for something like 0.75V or even 0.5V.  The resistor depends on the quiescent (idle) current through the FET.  For AT853 type mics, the current is approx 0.1 to 0.15mA.  So, a 4.7k resistor will give approx 0.5V drop, which is perfect.  I'll have to try this :).

Richard

I have a recording with the WHO at 5 rows back from the PA with my cardioid mics and 0 distortion. So it is possible. But you have to have my mics :) hehehe. Wait you do have my mics :)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 01:44:11 PM »
Hi,
   I've use my 943's directly plugged into to my R-09.......I had a problem with distortion.....but I was  sitting 10 feet from the left stack....( it was very LOUD at times).....Hey Chris I was just wondering if you would consider making/selling a y-cable (1/8 in and out), for people with individually terminated mics., with the resistor incorporated into the wires......That way we (I) could just use your modified cable in high SPL situation.......Just a thought....LMK.

Peace,
jk

The problem is the mic inputs have to be 3 wire to 2 wire out. So you would have to terminate your mics three wire then I can do the mod. Or I would have to have your mics and resolder a 3.5 mm stereo end on it and do the mod inside of the jack.

Chris Church

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »
Hi Chris,
   Thanks for the response...My mics (I think) are three wire.....each mic is terminated in it's own 1/8 connector..which would make them three wire (TRS) ..and then I use a y-cable to feed the signal into either my R-09 or my SP mini-pre......I'm just interested in more flexible applications .......
Would this work for just using a different (your modified) y-cable  ?

Or are my synopsis's misfireing this morning without caffine ?

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

BobW

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 02:47:43 PM »
I'm not giving up my mini-XLRs, so I'd guess I'd have to make a custom Y-cable with resistors.
The Mini-XLRS fit my p48 adapters.

Next an optical cable to run to a MiniME or V3  (a guy's got a right to dream)

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 02:57:02 PM »
I'm not giving up my mini-XLRs, so I'd guess I'd have to make a custom Y-cable with resistors.
The Mini-XLRS fit my p48 adapters.

Next an optical cable to run to a MiniME or V3  (a guy's got a right to dream)

Why not get a 3 wire battery box Bob? Or I suppose your looking to go super stealth?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline 2amuse

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 07:55:34 PM »
How would the sound results be using this modified mic and direct connect to the R09 compared to a battery box and a similar level of mic?

Ray

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 07:59:55 PM »
How would the sound results be using this modified mic and direct connect to the R09 compared to a battery box and a similar level of mic?

Ray

My mod allows for less gain loss then a three wire battery box..

I am going to be making the cables because you guys wont leave me alone :) They will be $25.00 I think thats more then fair considering the parts are almost $25.00 + $3.00 shipping..

Chris Church

Offline 2amuse

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 09:23:24 PM »
Is this a good solution or are you compromising good sound reproduction?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 10:10:58 PM »
Is this a good solution or are you compromising good sound reproduction?

There is no reduction of sound quality what so ever the only thing this mod does is reduce distortion by about 5% and reduce the bias voltage that the mics sees but again yes your reducing the bias voltage but your also reducing the distortion of the mics... So its a good trade off.. There is a gain reduction of about 5db or so its not much.. But again if your using these adaptors its because your in a high SPL situation where 5 db of gain loss is nothing because of your increased output due to the high SPL in the first place self noise also increases but again its not a major big deal because your source is going to be so much louder then the noise floor and we are not talking anything you would hear in a normal show let alone a high SPL show. There is no change what so ever to frequency response..

Chris Church

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com