Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-09 dropping huge sections of recording  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Brennan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
R-09 dropping huge sections of recording
« on: March 11, 2007, 01:07:31 AM »
I'm just getting into taping for real...I got an Edirol R-09 for Christmas...

Well, I don't have mics, a pre-amp, an adc or bag :P But I have a recorder with built in mics lol

I know, I know, I need the rest of the stuff, but I'm not expecting a grade A recording so don't worry about telling me I need that stuff ;) ;D

Anyway, so (obviously) watching the record levels when I do it, I should be able to record, no?

For some reason, when ever I try and record my R-09 seems to automatically pause itself (and unpause) during the recording. So, I miss most of the show. Last time, I tried it at an Autumn Defense show (starting it before the show in the bathroom). It recorded some toilet flushing noises (right after starting it), then cuts to the END of the concert, then cuts AGAIN to some crowd noise after the show.

I'm not hitting any buttons, I'm not touching it during the recording. I know quite well how to use the thing.. Also, I'm using a SanDisk UltraII 2Gb SD memory card if that helps at all.

I'll be attempting to record a Mountain Goats show at the El Rey tomorrow night, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I'll be watching this topic :)

Great site, you'll see me around!

Thanks a lot!
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

dorrcoq

Re: R-09 dropping huge sections of recording
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 01:18:45 AM »
Well.......set the "hold" button after you press record and then there is no way for it to acciidently get stopped.  Just note that if you want to change levels, you have to disengage the hold button first.

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 04:35:10 AM »
So do you think that's the only possible way for it to be doing that?

Thing is, last show my mom went to it was sitting in a bag untouched for the entire time and still cut off at ~1:21:00..full battery, 2 gig card.. :\

Just doesn't seem normal to me, doesn't really seem like a button is getting hit, ya know? Could it possibly be something else? :)

EDIT: hmm...just tried a 1:50:22 recording off a boombox, seems to have come out without dropping out at all..

Guess I'll be trying that hold switch tomorrow :D

Ok, so (since I'm new) how exactly would you recommend I actually get the recording? As in , getting in there and all, and getting a recording with only the R-09.. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 06:17:32 AM by Br3nn4n »
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 08:27:25 AM »
Definately use the hold switch...it is very easy to accidentally "stop" or "pause" a recording without it on......I have done it several times.......AND reformat the card in the R-09 prior to recording....

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline habit

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
I'm not sure if the R-09 is the same as my Sony Mini Disc, but during quieter portions of a show the MD would stop/start a new track when it was not picking up any sound. I don't seem to have ever lost any music, but some quieter shows were a pain joining all the tracks together.

FWIW I was just running a battery box between the mics and recorder.

Busman Mod R4 Pro | Schoeps M222 | Schoeps MK4 & 41

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 11:55:16 AM »
Another vote for using the hold switch.

Twice I lost the last two or three songs of a show by accidentally bumping the stop button. I have since got into the habit of always using the hold button and have had no problems since.

Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 07:06:15 AM »
Ok guys, thanks!! I went ahead and reformatted the card as suggested :)

Just got back from the show...I DID get the whole thing, just most is distorted horribly, because I need a preamp and mics (soon to come hopefully). Probably not much can be done with the recording, but I'm gonna see what I can do in Audition..

I'm wondering still, as it seems hard to hide a bunch of equipment in your pants, just how you get a stealth recording..any tips? ;) I'm reading lots of stuff, thanks to this site, but even the idea of hauling along a preamp as well seems like a lot lol..

Oh yes, and for open recordings do you just look for/know of venues that allow recording? Seems to me that a lot wouldn't allow you to just waltz right in with a big bag or equipment without some hassle..
Team SoCal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com