Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low cut or not?  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Brennan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
Low cut or not?
« on: May 27, 2007, 04:31:00 AM »
Gonna be running my brand spankin' new CA cards/pre -> R-09 setup this Tuesday. I'm figuring out a baseline for levels on both pieces of equipment, but I'm not sure whether to use the low-cut or not (on the R-09, obviously)

Ideas welcome :)
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
Re: Low cut or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 05:31:20 AM »
I would NOT use LOW-CUT filter with your gear!
It cuts too much bass which would be ok when using omnis but not with church cardioids.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 06:20:18 PM »
I too never use low cut.  I prefer to eq or filter out in post if I have to.....
Remember you can always take out of the recording, but never put back in something that was there to begin with.   peace.  JK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline person

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 07:10:02 AM »
Remember you can always take out of the recording, but never put back in something that was there to begin with.

That's assuming the lows don't cause distortion in your preamps, yes? But low-cut would happen after then i suppose,so you're still screwed.

Offline libfab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 08:40:40 AM »
My experience with R-09 low cut is disappointing too: as other replies said, it cuts too much bass and distorts the sound. It is useful in two contexts though: for open field recording in a somewhat windy weather, or when you have a chance of clipping/brickwalling. That would be the case if you stand very close to a source of massive bass (some techno could do that, or an organ in a church!). The R-09 doesn't clip in normal conditions, but you'll find it useful to check the thread on the issue http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,84587.0.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 05:05:08 PM by libfab »

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 02:58:49 PM »
I would NOT use LOW-CUT filter with your gear!
It cuts too much bass which would be ok when using omnis but not with church cardioids.

That's correct. I never use the Low Cut. There's no point at all. Last Friday I turned the damn switch ON by accident ( my R-09 was hiden in my pocket) and the resulting recording came out awfull. It ruined an otherwise great sounding tape. Stay way from that switch when it comes to live music. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 11:37:32 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone, I'm running the new rig tomorrow night and I suppose we'll see how things come out ;)
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com