Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Foam turns to goo over time  (Read 3090 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Foam turns to goo over time
« on: January 09, 2008, 08:39:03 PM »
Hi--I just wanted to make sure people here were aware that over time (say, 15 - 25 years) the foam commonly used to stuff portable equipment cases turns into a sticky, soupy goo that is EXTREMELY difficult to remove from anything metallic.

The attached photo shows what happened to the Zero Halliburton case in which I left my basset clarinet. The case (with foam inserts) was purchased in 1980. I had to disassemble the clarinet completely and use citrus solvent plus a fair amount of elbow grease to get the powdery gluey stuff off of the wood and the keys. The finish of the keys is pretty much shot as a result.

So people, don't leave stuff in foam-padded cases for too many years unattended--plan to change out the foam every now and then.

By the way, this is also what happens to some kinds of microphone windscreens.

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 08:40:45 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

J.T.L

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Foam turns to goo over time
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:24:19 PM »
Good PSA, Nak users can also chime in on why not to store your shotguns in the original windscreens...nasty stuff. There was a thread a while ago about the static discharge from foam...
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,78025.0.html

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:28:23 PM »
I wrap everything in tinfoil.

J.T.L

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:41:31 PM »

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:30:14 PM »
Hi--I just wanted to make sure people here were aware that over time (say, 15 - 25 years) the foam commonly used to stuff portable equipment cases turns into a sticky, soupy goo that is EXTREMELY difficult to remove from anything metallic.

The attached photo shows what happened to the Zero Halliburton case in which I left my basset clarinet. The case (with foam inserts) was purchased in 1980. I had to disassemble the clarinet completely and use citrus solvent plus a fair amount of elbow grease to get the powdery gluey stuff off of the wood and the keys. The finish of the keys is pretty much shot as a result.

So people, don't leave stuff in foam-padded cases for too many years unattended--plan to change out the foam every now and then.

By the way, this is also what happens to some kinds of microphone windscreens.

--best regards
I would FREAK if that happened to my Clarinet...
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 10:58:33 PM »
foam rubber is weird stuff
Depending on the humidity and chemical make-up it either will eventually become dust or gooey-glop.
All the while it is out-gassing nasties which can negatively affect mic diaphragms and such.

Plastic bags, over time, deteriorate in similar ways, especially in high heat and/or humidity.

There are few options, so change out that foam every decade or so
I also like to keep my caps in fresh plastic bags to minimize the foam's affects.

Thanks DSatz for the reminder!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:00:05 PM by &etc »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 01:29:29 PM »
uuuuuh!!

NEVER, NEVER place Instruments next to foam!!
Even covered by appropriate (natural) materials like felt, I just cant trust any foam-style materials.

Same thing with Microphones. Ever purchased some old MD 421? My last one has had foam particles all over and behind the grill. I just hate foam  >:(

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 02:16:12 PM »
I've had concerns about the foam schoeps packages the individual capsules with for a while...  Does it de-gas? Does it decompose?  What impact does it have on the capsules? Is it ideal for long term storage? Should capsules instead be placed in a foam-free tube with some silica gel?

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 10:16:55 PM »
Freelunch, I have some Schoeps capsule holders (the clear plastic kind similar to what they still use) that are older than the foam in that Halliburton case. They haven't decomposed, but have become a bit discolored. All told I don't think it's a bad idea to replace them every quarter- to half-century or so, if you feel like it.

Schoeps' old (1970s) black rectangular cases, on the other hand, were padded behind the velvet lining with the type of foam rubber that eventually crumbles. I replaced those cases six or eight years ago. Attached are two photos of the type of case I mean (the one shown is a half-width accessory case, but Schoeps used to use full-width cases of this type for CMT-series microphones and the early Colette series).

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:20:03 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 12:07:01 PM »
I think there is a bigger picture here, which is don't store ANYTHING in ANYTHING for and extended period of time without  checking on it every once in a while. I had put a very expensive motorcycle helmet in storage for a couple of years while I was inbetween bikes and not riding once -- damn thing was basically ruined by mildew because I never checked on it even once.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »
I would think temperature and humidity conditions would play an important role in long term storage considerations.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com