Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small Portables: Fostex FR-2LE vs Tascam HD-P2  (Read 5214 times)

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Small Portables: Fostex FR-2LE vs Tascam HD-P2
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:25:43 AM »
Today I was surprised when I learnt about the size of the Fostex FR-2 LE recorder. Wow, it's large!

It measures 77 x 250 x 220 mm, which puts in the same league as the Tascam HD-P2, which is 245 x 188 x 60. In fact the Tascam is even smaller.

In my mind, and as people were comparing the Fostex as an option to the H4 or the R09, it was about their size.

It's not really,  so I am not sure it fits my purposes of finding a small CF recorder that I can stick below or behind a portable HDV camera, on the same tripod head.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Small Portables: Fostex FR-2LE vs Tascam HD-P2
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 08:52:26 AM »
Carlos, I'm also looking into small, portable 24-bit memory recorders with digital I/O. If I'm not mistaken the Fostex unit is about half the price of the Tascam, which may cause some people to forgive certain other aspects of its design. The Sony PCM-D50 might be another item to consider.

I happen to have done a quick test at an AES show of the phantom powering of the HD-P2 as far as microphones that draw 4 - 5 mA per input are concerned; it seemed good. Haven't had a chance to do this for the Fostex yet.

Also haven't had a chance to test for input headroom or equivalent noise at the preamp gain levels I typically use. I'm actually not in the habit of using portable recorders for anything more than a "bit bucket" as people here call them (using a separate, trustworthy front end with a digital output). If by chance a recorder were to have good analog circuitry I might use it in a pinch, but I never expect that; the price competition is too severe, and most buyers and reviewers don't ask the necessary questions.

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 08:57:00 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

stevetoney

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:55:16 AM »
Depend on what you want.  You can't expect miracles in a tiny palm sized package.

The reason the Fostex is called portable is because it's battery powered and able to be taken out into the field.  That doesn't necessarily mean it's tiny enough to strap onto a monopod leg and be transportable...say for on the spot repositioning during a sporting event. 

If you're looking for something that's gonna say fit in the palm of your hand, what you're gonna get is basically a bitbucket, but you'll still need mic preamps, mics, cables, etc.  You hit on your options there...R-09, a new Marantz PMD-620 I think is the model number, Microtrack, etc.

If you want an all-in-one recorder where you need no external preamps or any other hardware, then the Marantz PMD-660 has a smaller footprint than the Fostex, but it's 16bit only.  The Fostex is a little bigger, but it records in 24bit and has a ton of features that the 660 doesn't have.  I can't comment on the Tascam because I've never owned it and don't know the unit much.

I don't know what exactly you're after...it sounds like you want something small enough to be able to kinda attach it all onto your tripod.  However, if you want to run external sound into your camera, it might be tough to rig something up that just pops on and off your tripod real easy.  You'll still have to deal with cables, tape, wraps, recorders, CF media, etc. no matter how you slice it....extra bags, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is some setup regardless, so the advantage of the Fostex or the 660 being an all-in-one box usually is what people like in that it helps to eliminiate extra gear.  All you need is the box, mics and cables. 

Maybe you can rig something up and hang it off your belt or put it in something that hangs over your shoulder.  Just take enough cable that there's plenty of slack so there's no tugging on the connectors.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:04:41 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 09:47:50 AM »
Carlos, Fostex makes two field recorders, the FR2 which has been out for three or four years and the FR2LE which is their most recent field recorder. The dimensions you list above are the FR2s size. The FR2LE is 57 x 206 x 132. While not nearly as large as the FR2, the FR2LE is still a fairly substantial unit. Possible to stealth but not as easy as a MicroTrac.

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:08:59 AM »
Carlos, Fostex makes two field recorders, the FR2 which has been out for three or four years and the FR2LE which is their most recent field recorder. The dimensions you list above are the FR2s size. The FR2LE is 57 x 206 x 132. While not nearly as large as the FR2, the FR2LE is still a fairly substantial unit. Possible to stealth but not as easy as a MicroTrac.

I got the dimensions here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fostex-FR-2LE-CF-Field-Recorder-104478466-i1172347.gc

Maybe it's wrong.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:24:49 AM »
The Guitar Center listing is incorrect. I got the dimensions directly from the owner's manuals. The actual dimensions can be found @ http://www.fostexusa.com/index.php?file=products/pfr/fr2le as well as links to sales brochures and owners manuals.

If I can borrow a digicam, I'll post pics of both units for size comparison. The FR2 is a little larger than the Tascam while the FR2LE is quite a bit smaller.

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
The FR2-LE has a little bit smaller footprint that a cigar box, but it's a little bit thicker.

Hmmm...take a couple of VHS tapes and stack them together, add maybe 1/2 inch to 1 inch to all three dimensions and seems like that's about the right size.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 11:51:47 AM by tonedeaf »

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 11:52:22 AM »
The Guitar Center listing is incorrect. I got the dimensions directly from the owner's manuals. The actual dimensions can be found @ http://www.fostexusa.com/index.php?file=products/pfr/fr2le as well as links to sales brochures and owners manuals.

If I can borrow a digicam, I'll post pics of both units for size comparison. The FR2 is a little larger than the Tascam while the FR2LE is quite a bit smaller.

Yes, you are right about the dimensions. I was about the put that same URL here when I saw yours. 

OK, that's set. Now the questions to quiz on are ruggedness and mic preamps noise. Has anyone made any comparison?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 11:54:19 AM by Carlos E. Martinez »

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 03:14:31 PM »

Yes, you are right about the dimensions. I was about the put that same URL here when I saw yours. 

OK, that's set. Now the questions to quiz on are ruggedness and mic preamps noise. Has anyone made any comparison?

As far as ruggedness, well it's a new product on the market so there probably hasn't been a whole lot of long term field use.  FWIW, it seemed plenty field worthy, but it's not a Sound Devices.  IOW, it's not all metal construction and it wouldn't survive an attack of sorts without scratches to the outter case, which is plastic. 

As far as noise goes, I can't say for sure about the stock model because I bought the one that I had from Doug Oade, so it was modded before it ever came to me.  However, I've read from some folks that say that they were quite pleased with the stock model.  Having said this, any $400 box stock probably isn't gonna sound as good as it could.  If you're really interested in the cleanest, best sounding recordings possible, you should send it out to Busman (Chris Johnson) and for $170 he'll upgrade the electronics to make a VERY quiet and very nice sounding box.  He offers two mods, a warm mod and a transparent mod.  Both have been getting rave reviews amongst those that have his mod.  The only way to get an Oade mod box is to purchase it directly from Oade. 

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 06:47:36 PM »
Now the questions to quiz on are ruggedness and mic preamps noise. Has anyone made any comparison?

Some comparisons can be found here:
http://www.avisoft.com/tutorial_field_recording.htm

And here:
http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com