Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best inexpensive recorder for SBD recording (< $600)  (Read 3404 times)

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
Best inexpensive recorder for SBD recording (< $600)
« on: February 25, 2008, 12:16:45 PM »
I'm wondering what the best inexpensive recorders may be for strict SBD recording. I'm thinking less than $600 (used). By "best," I mean, relatively small, good ADC, and the ability to take a pro line-level signal without any external attenuators. Doesn't have to be 24bit, but that's always a plus.

Does anything fit my requirements? I'd prefer XLR inputs. How about a Fostex FR2LE? Or a Marantz 660?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: Best inexpensive recorder for SBD recording (< $600)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »
Why not just a minidisc recorder?
I was at an event this past weekend and although it was only speaking, a media had minidisc recorders plugged into the board.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:59:22 PM »
Why not just a minidisc recorder?
I was at an event this past weekend and although it was only speaking, a media had minidisc recorders plugged into the board.

MD is out. I don't want to have to deal with a tape flip.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:02:16 PM »
fostex fr2le.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:05:45 PM »
fostex fr2le.

This can take a pro line level signal without a pad? For some reason I was thinking the FR2LE couldn't handle too hot of a SBD signal. I always have attenuators, just in case I can't ask them to turn the SBD output down.

Also, can it do line in with the XLRs, or do you have to go with the 1/4" input for that?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 01:12:55 PM »
fostex fr2le.

This can take a pro line level signal without a pad? For some reason I was thinking the FR2LE couldn't handle too hot of a SBD signal. I always have attenuators, just in case I can't ask them to turn the SBD output down.

Also, can it do line in with the XLRs, or do you have to go with the 1/4" input for that?
i don't know about the signal but you can only do line in via 1/4
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 01:13:18 PM »
What's your beef with running an attenuator?

Hard to beat a $100 jb3... Cheap enough that you won't feel too bad about leaving it unattended. And hopefully boring enough that nobody would want it. They run well on a/c.

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
What's your beef with running an attenuator?

Hard to beat a $100 jb3... Cheap enough that you won't feel too bad about leaving it unattended. And hopefully boring enough that nobody would want it. They run well on a/c.

No beef with the attenuator. I'd just rather not have to worry about that, if possible.

JB3 is definitely an el-cheapo alternative. I could always go to the R-09 too, though I find that to be a little light in the low end.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:18:34 PM by bgalizio »

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 01:37:49 PM »
I'd worry about the r09 getting ripped off because it is so small and cute...  While the jb3 almost looks antique.  One downside of the jb3 is lousy meters and no clip light. You could ask a soundguy to watch for the r09 clip light or even read the meters. But trying to explain those jb3 meters... ::)

As far as the r09 being light in the lowend. Hmm.. That does not match my impressions, even when compared to the 722 (which I don't think anyone would say is LiL). You've probably seen the current r09/722 comp in the recording section.  I'd call the v3 a bit LiL.

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 03:34:42 PM »
I'd worry about the r09 getting ripped off because it is so small and cute...  While the jb3 almost looks antique.  One downside of the jb3 is lousy meters and no clip light. You could ask a soundguy to watch for the r09 clip light or even read the meters. But trying to explain those jb3 meters... ::)

As far as the r09 being light in the lowend. Hmm.. That does not match my impressions, even when compared to the 722 (which I don't think anyone would say is LiL). You've probably seen the current r09/722 comp in the recording section.  I'd call the v3 a bit LiL.

I have listened to that comp, and the R-09 didn't sound to LiL there. I only ran mine a handful of times before getting the MR-1, of course, so maybe I didn't have enough experience with it to comment fully. There's always the line-in jack issue, though I'm very gentle with my gear.

IIRC, the R-09 can take up to a 16dB signal, which should make it plenty fine for SBD recording.

Offline bhakti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 03:49:58 PM »
done a few SBD's with my Edirol and have been VERY happy... i find the 24bit/48kHz recordings to be light years ahead of my 100's of MD tapes... very happy with it... also only for $300 so you spend the rest on another nice piece of gear... [for a matrix recording, you can throw in a CA mic into the mix  ;)]

just my 2 cents...

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 03:57:04 PM »
IIRC, the R-09 can take up to a 16dB signal, which should make it plenty fine for SBD recording.

I think that assumes a trim setting of 1, which is a recipe for badly distorted bass in my experience. So when run at trim 8, the real world signal limit is not as hot. Easily solved with an attenuator.

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 03:59:46 PM »

I think that assumes a trim setting of 1, which is a recipe for badly distorted bass in my experience. So when run at trim 8, the real world signal limit is not as hot. Easily solved with an attenuator.

Ah, true enough. I wonder how hot it can take at level 8... are you equipped to run this sort of test? You've always seemed handy with electronic stuff  ;D

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 08:23:41 AM »
Well, I think I'm going to go with the R-09 (if I decide to do this, that is). It barely takes up any space, and sounds good.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com