Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Flash Recorder recommendations  (Read 1714 times)

Offline bsorocks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Flash Recorder recommendations
« on: February 29, 2008, 11:17:29 AM »
I'm looking to purchase a field recorder to replace my 5 year old minidisc recorder, whose internal battery no longer holds its charge.  At first I was split between the Sony HiMD MZM200 and the Microtrack 2...but the Microtrack 2 isn't coming in till later in the month...and there are some things I want to tape next week.  I use it mostly for taping concerts.

But having gone to B&H I've seen the other flash recorders and am very intrigued.  Now I'm considering either the Zoom H2, (which I think is a bit too bulky for stealth recording), the Edirol R-09 which I know nothing about, and the Marantz PMD 620 (the smallest of the bunch).  I figure it's time to take the leap from MD to flash. 

I would be plugging an external mic into any of these units.  Any advice about preamps, recording quality, recording length, etc on any of these units would be greatly appreciated.  I think the Marantz is the only one with a true seamless split...
I want to make a purchase next week, so. 

Thanks.
-Jeremy

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Flash Recorder recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 03:33:52 PM »
What kinds of things are you wanting to record? I gather since the size is the upmost importance, you want to stealth it. Without knowing much about the R-09 except that everyone here likes it, I think it would be worth searching on this board for. I'd like to buy a new/used one pretty soon and at first I thought it would be the last one I pick but almost everyone here seems to be pleased with it. The MTII has digital in which everyone likes but the r-09 does not. Since you already know about internal rechargeable batteries going out, the MTII may not be the way you want to go.

Just thoughts others will present to you.

< edit: I would even suggest checking this topic out as well
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,98734.0.html >
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 03:36:52 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: Flash Recorder recommendations
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »
First post? Didn't even look around? Use search, lol.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com