Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best AA batteries out at the moment (R-09)  (Read 16481 times)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Best AA batteries out at the moment (R-09)
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 10:33:31 AM »
I think there's probably a reason they've been out a year and nobody has posted having good results with them in taping equipment.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewitem.asp?idproduct=273

I haven't heard of anyone with complaints.

a couple people on Amazon reviews for this Maha 9.6v have complaints:

http://www.amazon.com/Powerex-9-6-230-mAh-batteries/product-reviews/B0002LAKOS/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R2UKKL8T0NY9E7

beyond just remarking that they didn't work and were duds, one guy specifically says the 230 mAh is not nearly enough and that a normal 9v is over 500 mAh, and he recommends the iPower lithium rechargables which are only a few bucks more than the Mahas:

http://www.amazon.com/iPower-Rechargeable-Lithium-Polymer-Battery/dp/B0035HCTZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275252929&sr=1-1

now i'm not sure what to think  ???

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 05:19:21 PM »
Chris Church recommends the Maha specifically for his preamps. He says the fact that it is 9.6 volts has advantages when using his gear and does not recommend 9 volt rechargeable.. The 230 mA is not a problem for Church gear-will still power them for hours. I don't think anyone has had problems with them using Church gear.

Perhaps, from what you say, they might not be ideal for some other equipment that takes 9 volt batteries, but they do require a special charger. Is it possible that using them without such a charger caused some of the reported problems you found?
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2010, 11:20:04 PM »
i'm not concerned about Church gear, i would be using it to power a PS-2.

Offline oudplayer

• Taperssection Newbie
    • musiq.com
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 04:53:36 PM »
I'm getting over 5 hours on my Edirol R09-HD with Eneloops, and I don't even have a Lacrosse charger at the moment (mine was lifted, but I plan on getting a replacement). It's possible I could go longer - I just haven't needed more than 5 1/2 hours between charges! The Eneloops also work great in my Littlebox preamp - I have the version with the 4xaa sled.

Offline HarpDoc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 06:54:44 PM »
I'm loving my Eneloops in my DR-2D and Maha 9.6v in a wireless vocal mic. In the mic, the Maha is better than any others I've tried, but I've never tried it in my CA-9100.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2010, 11:42:36 PM »
Don't forget the importance of a good charger. That seems to be the important, and expensive, part.

Good point. Probably my use of the highly regarded LaCrosse BC-900 charger has more than a little to do with how well my eneloops have performed.

Was thinking about getting one of these, but there are lots of reports of the current model (9009) overheating, melting, batteries exploding...so now leaning towards the POWEREX MH-C9000
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:36:26 AM by yltfan »
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline fmw

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »
Consumer Reports said Kirkland (Costco) alkalines were the best alkilines.  It might be worth a cruise by the library to see what the results of CR tests indicate.  One test is worth a thousand opinions.

I think the Consumer Reports tests related to use in devices more like digital cameras, which have short bursts of high drain interspersed with longer periods of low drain.  This pattern of use is not typical of portable recording gear, where power draw is closer to constant over time. 

And shopping at Costco requires a membership. 

Also, if you look at the actual test results, most alkaline batteries were pretty close together.  In my experience, generic alkaline batteries all do just about as well as brand names.  Whenever I get a new type of alkaline, I monitor the voltage while I discharge one through an 8 ohm resistor to check them out.  So far they've all been pretty similar. 

I've seen good prices on generic alkaline batteries at a local supermarket, at a Harbor Freight Tools location, and at a Big Lots store. 

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 11:52:41 AM »
Also, if you look at the actual test results, most alkaline batteries were pretty close together.  In my experience, generic alkaline batteries all do just about as well as brand names.  Whenever I get a new type of alkaline, I monitor the voltage while I discharge one through an 8 ohm resistor to check them out.  So far they've all been pretty similar. 

I find the lifespan of cheap alkalines is about half that of duracells (or energizer NiMH's) in my R09.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 12:24:51 PM »
The quality of stuff I buy at costco is generally excellent.  I think the kirkland batteries are good - and they are an excellent value.  The price is right, you just have to plan around their longevity.

I am much less inclined to trust other batteries.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com