Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pure i-20 > DAC?  (Read 2672 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Pure i-20 > DAC?
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:25:49 AM »
I just picked up a Pure i-20 to connect my iPod to my amplifier and I'm wondering if there would be an appreciable difference in sound if I picked up an external D/A to run between the Pure and my amp.  I really don't want to spend more than $500 on the D/A.  The Pure has an onboard D/A that is supposed to be fairly decent, but I'm wondering if there would be an improvement if I got an external D/A.

My playback system would be iPod Touch 4g > Pure i-20 > D/A > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > B&W CDM-1SE.  Any assistance would be much appreciated.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline ben_r_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Pure i-20 > DAC?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:07:14 PM »
The Pure i-20 already has a DAC in it... Now, it might not be a good one, but it is still a DAC. Since you are just feeding the signal directly into you AMP any way, you should have bought a more audiophile minding DAC. Check out the Schiit Bitfrost: http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7

Also, look into outputing a lossless file format from your source. The only ones iDevices natively support is Apple Lossless and .WAV. Its for this reason I use my laptop with optical out to a DAC then amp so I can play FLAC files.

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
Re: Pure i-20 > DAC?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:27:42 PM »
Check out Peachtree Audio http://signalpathint.com/index.php/Home.html for High quality DAC's..... They even make several models with the ipod dock built in which I would bet outperforms the PURE. I believe the DACit which is their entry level DAC with USB, Optical, and Coaxial connections is about $450. I think the model with the iPod dock is about $900, but it has an upgraded DAC chip and 2 optical and Coax inputs. I have been VERY VERY impressed with what I have heard from Peachtree. I have auditioned the DACit, the iDAC & the iNova and I am in the process of getting their new Grand Pre which will likely become the preamp in my main system. They are great folks and will reply to any question you may have quickly through their sales contacts on the webpage.
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com