Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: signal degradation (in audio chain)  (Read 2636 times)

Offline simplicisimus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
signal degradation (in audio chain)
« on: April 06, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »
I need some of your professional opinions, regarding signal degradation in audio chain for field recording setup...

I run my mics into RME QUADMIC (mic to line preamp), then I go balanced line in (+4dB) into Korg Mr-1000 AD (and I'm quite happy with that). I was wondering how much noise and actually signal degradation would interfere if I add into this setup a Behringer Ubb1002 portable mixer, somewhere between QUADMIC and MR1000. It would be used only as a mixer handling Balanced line levels from Quadmic, and feeding balanced line out to MR1000.

I understand that preamps on the behringer unit sucks, but that applies only to Mic and Consumer level signals (-10db), and by my houmble thinking, there should be no mayor problems and signal degradation (colouration) when you're operating with profesionally line level signals.

...what you think ?
 ???
any toughts are most welcome!

thanks

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: signal degradation (in audio chain)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
I need some of your professional opinions, regarding signal degradation in audio chain for field recording setup...

I run my mics into RME QUADMIC (mic to line preamp), then I go balanced line in (+4dB) into Korg Mr-1000 AD (and I'm quite happy with that). I was wondering how much noise and actually signal degradation would interfere if I add into this setup a Behringer Ubb1002 portable mixer, somewhere between QUADMIC and MR1000. It would be used only as a mixer handling Balanced line levels from Quadmic, and feeding balanced line out to MR1000.

I understand that preamps on the behringer unit sucks, but that applies only to Mic and Consumer level signals (-10db), and by my houmble thinking, there should be no mayor problems and signal degradation (colouration) when you're operating with profesionally line level signals.

...what you think ?
 ???
any toughts are most welcome!

thanks

Your better off to get your preamp modified so it has output level controls. As soon as you put that berringer thing in your signal path you might as well be using a fisher price preamp. Because all the goodness of your preamp will be robbed by that mixer. IMO There are alot of guys here that can modify your preamp so it has a line output level control. And it should not cost alot of money.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline simplicisimus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:14:19 PM »
thank you so much for your reply.
I'm too far away from nearest 'smart guy' who could do such a modification to my preamp, so I guess it wouldn't be a option for me.

Any other toughts ?

some budget LINE LEVEL portable (batt. pow.) mixer that's not going to ruin my Line signals ?
I would use it only for mixing eg. summin' additional balanced line levels.

Thank you

Offline simplicisimus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 06:04:52 AM »
...no one ?

:(

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 08:56:20 AM »
...no one ?

:(

Here are a few mixers I cant speak about quality but maybe one of them is right for your application.
 My first choice your your application would be a passive mixer that means you dont need any batteries and you dont have to worry about signal degradation they are harder to find it seems but they are out there here are three "active mixers" These can and will to one degree or another change your sound, but for the price they might be worth looking into you can always send these to someone like Bussman maybe he can mod them and make them sound better? I dont know for sure but that might be another option as well.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-OSP-MM-802-4-Channel-Stereo-8-Mono-Mini-Mixer_W0QQitemZ200097551609QQihZ010QQcategoryZ23785QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-NADY-MM-242-4-8-Channel-Stereo-Mono-Mini-Mixer_W0QQitemZ170100618709QQihZ007QQcategoryZ23785QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Electro-Harmonix-Mini-Mixer-nearly-new_W0QQitemZ290104048174QQihZ019QQcategoryZ1288QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline simplicisimus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 11:25:30 AM »
thank you for your efforts!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com