Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Scientists Claim to Invent Urine Batteries  (Read 3815 times)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Scientists Claim to Invent Urine Batteries
« on: August 18, 2005, 06:40:37 AM »
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/wire/sns-ap-urine-batteries,0,7514213.story?coll=sns-ap-world-headlines

August 17, 2005, 8:37 PM EDT

SINGAPORE -- Singapore scientists said they have invented a urine-activated credit-card sized battery that can be used in test kits.

The government-funded Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology said in a statement placed on its Web site that the device was the "perfect power source for cheap, disposable health care test-kits for diseases such as diabetes."

Urine is used in tests for diabetes, kidney problems and pregnancy, and the institute said the battery was ideal for such diagnostic kits.

The battery works once urine is added on a chemical-ready filter paper that sets off the cathode which produces about 1.5 volts of electricity.

"While researchers around the world race to produce ever smaller and more effective diagnostic biochips that can be mass produced cheaply, they have been unsuccessful in finding a power source that is as small and as cheap to fabricate as the detection technology itself," the statement continued.

Singapore is striving to be a regional center for bioengineering.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: Scientists Claim to Invent Urine Batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 09:24:25 AM »
who's gonna build the first depends stealthing battery???

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 09:27:05 AM »

that would (1) solve the problem of not being able to pee while stealthing and (2) add extra battery power.  awesome!
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 09:30:07 AM »

that would (1) solve the problem of not being able to pee while stealthing and (2) add extra battery power.  awesome!

and a place to pack in stealth gear...no door guy is gonna question you wearing an adult diaper.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 11:17:20 PM »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 10:05:48 PM »

Sadly, I'm the only one on this board old enough to get away with this.    :-\

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 10:03:19 AM »

Sadly, I'm the only one on this board old enough to get away with this.    :-\

Plenty of us geezers hanging around in disguise.  Talk about real stealth.

Jeff

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 02:52:21 PM »
some kid was asking me for stealthing tips once and how to get in gear.  i actually told him to put his gear in a bag in his jock and just wet his pants a little bit in the front...no security gaurd is gonna touch you if you look like you peed your pants.  granted, i was suggesting water from a water bottle, but this thread kind of adds a new spin on the story.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 03:54:56 PM »
I've been waiting for someone else to make the first 'you can recharge it in the shower every morning" comment given the resurrection of that thread.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 08:29:20 PM »
looks like this one can almost be powered by farts

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4480/

New Portable Methanol Fuel Cell System

(link to this article)

August 24, 2005 UltraCell Corporation has announced a new fuel cell power source for portable electronic devices that has twice the energy density of lithium batteries. UltraCell's reformed methanol fuel cell (RMFC) technology uses a revolutionary micro reformer to generate fuel-cell-ready hydrogen from a highly concentrated methanol solution. This new portable power system has the power density of a hydrogen fuel cell but uses readily available, low cost methanol fuel in a convenient, compact package. Weighing just 40 ounces, the power unit is about the size of a paperback novel.

This new technology has already been developed by UltraCell as a prototype for the military. This original system, the XX90, was designed for up to 45 watts of continuous power. Subsequently, the U.S. Army's Communications-Electronics Research, Development and Engineering Center (CERDEC) awarded UltraCell a contract to accelerate its development of a more compact portable system to run at 25 watts. This new power source is being developed for commercial use as the UltraCell25(TM) and will be available in 2006 for professional, industrial and mobile computing applications. Its name for the military will be the XX25.

UltraCell's micro reformer technology is designed to work in a user-friendly package that, with the push of a power button, self starts and feeds power as needed. The system's spent fuel canisters can be instantly "hot swapped," as needed, to provide continuous power in any remote situation. Whether for a soldier on mission or for the on-the-go laptop user, mobile executive, emergency first responder, researcher in a remote location, industrial video maker, or remote electronic monitoring, this means a nonstop supply of power anywhere, anytime. For greater flexibility, the system can even support batteries by serving as a portable recharging power supply.

The complete UltraCell system includes fuel processor, fuel cell stack, control system, balance of plant and easily replaceable fuel cartridge. Based on proprietary control algorithms, the control system manages a steady flow of power by adjusting pump and compressor settings. The revolutionary micro fuel cell generates no excess water, and consequently does not need a water management system, saving size, weight and cost versus alternative micro fuel cell systems. In addition, the UltraCell system uses a high temperature membrane assembly (MEA) from Pemeas in its fuel cell stack, resulting in high tolerance to CO and impurities.

"The major advantages of our system are the result of key advances by UltraCell and partners, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, Pemeas and others, yielding a breakthrough in fuel reformer technology," said Jim Kaschmitter, CEO of UltraCell. "UltraCell's novel fuel reformer converts methanol fuel to hydrogen efficiently and in a very compact package. Our technical team solved several key engineering challenges in thermal design and packaging to achieve this breakthrough. Our system provides a significant performance advantage over competing fuel cell and battery solutions for portable power users."
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 02:36:11 PM »
i love that this thread is going strong  >:D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com