Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: affordable remote mics for zoom H2  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Denes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Mr. Charlie told me so
affordable remote mics for zoom H2
« on: May 17, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »
I got a zoom H2.  I really like the sound it records as-is.  However, it is hard to see and adjust when on a stand.  Would really like to find a set of mics for around $100.  Non-powered would be preferable.  1/8" stereo is the mic input.  Dual mono with an adapter would work.   Directional mics are prefered.

I know most of you guys have some fancy stuff.  I only go to 3 festivals a year or so, a furthur show or two, and a handful of local bands at bars.  The more I spend on equipment, the less I record.

I am completely OK with used stuff.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:46:31 PM by werewolves-of-wormtown »
The side stage is my rigs main stage.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: affordable remote mics for zoom H2
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 05:52:48 PM »
You could put an ISO in the yard sale for a set of Church Audio cards and battery box.  Probably would be a little over your budget but might be able to get within reasonable range.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 06:34:29 PM »
I'd look in to cables for patching at the Furthur shows...lots of good microphones to patch out of at that type of show

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
I'd look in to cables for patching at the Furthur shows...lots of good microphones to patch out of at that type of show

I have to agree here.  Much simpler.  And, you could patch at festivals too.  If you're set on mics try and get a used pair of  Church mics.  Or, you can spend a little more and maybe get a set of ATs.
Classical rig - Mics:  DPA 4006, MH ULN2, Marantz PMD 671, Mac Book Pro

Small rig (under construction) - Neumann 184, PSP, Sony PCM D50

Playback - EAR 534, Spendor 3/5, LAT Axiom

Transfer - Mac mini, Bias Peak XT, MH ULN, Focal monitors

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 08:42:44 PM »

Personally, I don't see the reason to patch at a show like Furthur.  Unless you like the process of tracking a show, I don't see the point when its obviously going to be online.  A festival I can sort of see since not a ton of sources usually show up or maybe a stage that isn't well covered, but I think, as most would probably agree, a lot of the fun is actually using your own rig.

I guess if the mentality is that the process really takes a back seat to the finished project, then patching could be the way to go, but then that doesn't really cover the few local shows either.  I guess if OP is happy enough with the H2 then its not a huge deal. 

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 09:28:33 PM »

Personally, I don't see the reason to patch at a show like Furthur.  Unless you like the process of tracking a show, I don't see the point when its obviously going to be online.  A festival I can sort of see since not a ton of sources usually show up or maybe a stage that isn't well covered, but I think, as most would probably agree, a lot of the fun is actually using your own rig.

I guess if the mentality is that the process really takes a back seat to the finished project, then patching could be the way to go, but then that doesn't really cover the few local shows either.  I guess if OP is happy enough with the H2 then its not a huge deal.

Actually, as much as I hate to admit this...I don't even take my rig to Furthur shows (arena) anymore.  I know I can get a good copy online or I can just buy the SB.   There is the fun of taping, but the aggrevation of getting my gear in, then having some moron ruining my tape because they stand there and "woo" through entire show is gone.  Now, I can just go get a seat, hang out with my non taping friends, have a beer and enjoy the show. 

Now festivals, are a different story.  Outside, the other tapers have a little more control over who gets into the "area". And, I don't have to worry -as much- about that moron "wooing" the whole time.  Or at least as close to my mics.  And, yes the fun is using your own rig.  Sometimes I don't care what I tape.  It is just the quest of getting a good tape. 
Classical rig - Mics:  DPA 4006, MH ULN2, Marantz PMD 671, Mac Book Pro

Small rig (under construction) - Neumann 184, PSP, Sony PCM D50

Playback - EAR 534, Spendor 3/5, LAT Axiom

Transfer - Mac mini, Bias Peak XT, MH ULN, Focal monitors

Offline climbingbear

• Taperssection Newbie
  • shut up & DANce
    • my recordings on lma:
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »
here's what ive been using for 6 years.  i love the compactability.  pocket size taping rig.
http://www.core-sound.com/mics/1.php
minimalism - its the least you can do.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 05:08:55 AM »
here's what ive been using for 6 years.  i love the compactability.  pocket size taping rig.
http://www.core-sound.com/mics/1.php

CoreSound Binaurals are not too popular here. I'm sure they sound fine, but there are many alternatives just as small or nearly so which cost less and probably sound even better. I would go with Church Audio CA-14's (or Sound Professionals' mics that use Audio Technica 853 caps if you want the option of being able to interchange caps).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:56:23 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »
Church Audio CA-14 + battery box (new price: $150 for the package) is the move in your price range. If most of these festivals are outside, get the omnis; if inside, get the cardiods.

I think you'll find them a big upgrade on the Zoom :)  Also, Chris can make you longer cables since it seems you want to use them on a stand.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Denes

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Mr. Charlie told me so
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 08:22:17 AM »
I gave church an email a few minutes ago.  Thanks for the replies.  I actually have (2) H2's to feed.  I am no pro audio guy and I have some beat up ears from playing with loud cars and working in a factory setting.   However, I have made some really great recordings with the H2.  The only times I get poor sound are inside tents or smaller sized buildings when the sound is way up.  Not sure what to do there.

I love these H2's.  I set them at the festival stages and forget them.  Let them run all day long.  I made a homemade battery box for them.  Just a 6 D-cell battery holder with plug.  I have used the battery for 2 festivals, one furthur show, and two bar bands.  Still 25% life on the 6 D-cells.  IF the batteries die, then the zoom will still run for 4-6 hours on the internal AA batteries.  If they got stolen, I'd porobably be more upset over loosing the sound then the rig itself.

I put the mic gain on low, usually set the recording level to 75% or whatever I need to get the peaks to about -8 to -6.   I shut off the compression and any other digital gizmo the zoom has.   If it is a calm acoustic set and I am well isolated from crowd noise, I get it to about -3db peaks.  I then divide the show into songs, then use the zooms normalize feature to adjust the level.  I rarely do anything else with the sound.   I wish the recordings were a touch louder.  Especially because I listen to them mostly from my MP3 player through a FM converter and then into my car.  The FM converter looses a bit of signal.  I have a niuce factory bose' system in my chevy blazer.  I turn up the the sound about 3/4 to 7/8's.  However, the car has close to 200k miles and offroad tires or studded snows in the winter, so the car has more background noise That is the biggest reason I am looking forward to a new car next year, a aux input jack!

I prefer to record stuff no-one else gets.  Those small side stages where 50-100 people are hanging out.  I prefer smaller festivals over big commercial stuff.  I love rocking out to Reverend Tor, Juggling Suns, Max Creek, Flipper Dave, Deadbeats, and other Northeast / NYC/NJ jam bands.  Now with the 2 zoom rigs I can not run to another stage to get the setup running before the next band.  Or have to choose which band to record.  About 1/2 the time I do record a dead show just because I can say I taped a dead show.  Phil has been making me upset though.  His bass is up too high.  Instead of 15 minutes to get a show fixed up, it's been taking me hours.  I also cheat sometimes and blend someone else show into mine.  Seems like a waste of time to me, but it's good practice when blending mics with board.

Stealth would be a nice option,  however, I never did stealth yet.  IF it's not taper friendly, then its probably not my cup of tea.  However, I'd love to go to the ringo star show and tape this summer.  With Levon Helm dying, I got to thinking I should see my favorite 60's bands.  I getting allmans and Santanna again and hearing a Beatles band member.

I was on the fence about buying a tascam that could record 4 channels, both mics and board together.  I am happy I passed this year.  I needed some decent light stands first.  I only paid $120 at B&H for the second zoom H2.  The 6-D battery enclosure was $1.70 and the plug is $2.50.  My wife sews up some patchwork to make a good fitting bag for the battery case.  I will be making a battery monitor for it sometime this summer.  I'd be glad to share the project in the forum.

Offline TAlderson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 06:41:19 PM »
I gave church an email a few minutes ago.  Thanks for the replies.  I actually have (2) H2's to feed.  I am no pro audio guy and I have some beat up ears from playing with loud cars and working in a factory setting.   However, I have made some really great recordings with the H2.  The only times I get poor sound are inside tents or smaller sized buildings when the sound is way up.  Not sure what to do there.

That's where a battery box will help you out. The mics will get power from the battery box, and then you can input them as "Line" rather than "Mic," which means the signal will be quieter going into your recorder.

-Tyler

Offline Denes

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Mr. Charlie told me so
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 09:58:02 PM »
I'm still waitng for church to get back to me.  Any other options out there, possibly used.  I can bump up the price a bit too.  Just trying to thin out $$ between my hobbies.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »

That's where a battery box will help you out. The mics will get power from the battery box, and then you can input them as "Line" rather than "Mic," which means the signal will be quieter going into your recorder.

-Tyler

The battery box will power the mics, but the signal will still be at mic level, not line level. You would still want to use the mic input in that case.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com