Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie C4 mic question...When to use which caps?  (Read 5847 times)

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
Re: Newbie C4 mic question...When to use which caps?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 11:38:26 AM »
I'd stay away from any of the AKG 1000's and 3000's. If you really want to be on team AKG look for 480's which are similar to the 300's in that they have swappable capsules.

As for what AKG's most folks tape with I'd say:

300's
414's
480's

Really anything else has a specific use and might not be optimal for field recording.

If you get 300's you are definitely going to want the 93's caps (hypers) for indoor. I like the 91's outdoors ORTF.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Gr8ful98

• Swamp Funk Junkie
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Harps & Drums
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2005, 08:30:42 PM »
So....would y'all recommend using AKG 300's with cardiod caps  instead of C4 mics?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41466&item=7312812250&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Or should I just save up & wait for a pair for AKG 460's or 480's to show up on ebay?

any suggestions would be appreciated....I wanna know if I should bid on those AKG 300's with cardiod caps
Namaste,
John Dude

AKG 481's>HYDRA Silver XLR's>Dmod UA5>JB3
Hat>OadeBros Micro Binaural>9vBattBox>JB3

<<<<iso CK62/63's>>>>

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 12:49:51 AM »
Question for you, a month ago you just bought the c4's and now you're already looking to upgrade to another set of mics? How much have you run the c4's? Did you like them? What didn't you like?  Just courious, that's all.  ???

Offline Gr8ful98

• Swamp Funk Junkie
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Harps & Drums
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 08:28:13 AM »
I actually really like the C4 mics, however I'm a totally obsessive/compulstive personality.  So...while I've recorded 16 shows with the C4's and I'm happy with them all...the shows I've heard recorded with 480's sound WAY BETTER.  Just lookin' for feedback on 300's vs. C4's since they are cheaper than the 480's. Guess I outta learn more about what I'm doing, rather than just start buying new stuff.
Just over excited about taping & I'm kind of a spaz.

I don't know much & trying to learn as I go.
 Anybody got a suggestion where I can read about "bass roll off", when to use it & what settings are right for what situation?   The C4 mics have a little switch on them with 3 settings, I honestly don't know what setting to use & when.  Is that a "bass roll off" switch?  I can't seem to find info on that.

Thanks.
Namaste,
John Dude

<<<<iso CK62/63's>>>>

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 11:54:57 AM »
I actually really like the C4 mics, however I'm a totally obsessive/compulstive personality.  So...while I've recorded 16 shows with the C4's and I'm happy with them all...the shows I've heard recorded with 480's sound WAY BETTER.  Just lookin' for feedback on 300's vs. C4's since they are cheaper than the 480's. Guess I outta learn more about what I'm doing, rather than just start buying new stuff.
Just over excited about taping & I'm kind of a spaz.

I don't know much & trying to learn as I go.
 Anybody got a suggestion where I can read about "bass roll off", when to use it & what settings are right for what situation?   The C4 mics have a little switch on them with 3 settings, I honestly don't know what setting to use & when.  Is that a "bass roll off" switch?  I can't seem to find info on that.

Thanks.

The switch on the C4 is a combination of bass rolloff or level pad.  The top setting is neither.  Use this for shows that are not too loud nor too bassy.  The middle setting is bass rolloff (-6db gain per octave starting at 250hz).  Use this at shows where the sound is very bassy.  The bottom setting is for level pad (-10db I believe).  Use this setting for shows that are super loud or when you are recording close to the PA so that you don't brickwall your pre-amp.

Offline Gr8ful98

• Swamp Funk Junkie
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Harps & Drums
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »
muchos gracias mi amigo  ;)
Namaste,
John Dude

<<<<iso CK62/63's>>>>

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com