Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Pro Batt Box Roll-Off results  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Sound Pro Batt Box Roll-Off results
« on: March 25, 2005, 04:33:50 PM »
This is my rig:

sp-cmc-4(card)>sp-spsb-7>jb3

I recently taped a motorhead show rolling the bass at 95hrz and all the opening bands came out with some mild bass distortion while motorhead turned out fine.  I also just taped black label society rolling bass at 160hrz and the bass guitar is not as pronounced as i'd desire.  Now tommorow I am taping Dope at a very small venue, a large bar most likely (haven't been there before) and am not sure exactly what bass roll-off to choose.  Any suggestions?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sound Pro Batt Box Roll-Off results
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 04:56:13 PM »
This is my rig:

sp-cmc-4(card)>sp-spsb-7>jb3

I recently taped a motorhead show rolling the bass at 95hrz and all the opening bands came out with some mild bass distortion while motorhead turned out fine.  I also just taped black label society rolling bass at 160hrz and the bass guitar is not as pronounced as i'd desire.  Now tommorow I am taping Dope at a very small venue, a large bar most likely (haven't been there before) and am not sure exactly what bass roll-off to choose.  Any suggestions?

you'll always be subjected to possible distortion becuase of your mic powering. it's not the mics, but the batterybox.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 05:15:48 PM »
Apparentlly the SP boxes are based on 10k input impedance so you'll need to divide the rolloff frequency by 3.7 to accomodate the JB3 input impedance.

e.g. the 95 Hz rolloff works as a 26 Hz rolloff.

I doubt what you've heard as differences are a result of the rolloff - probably just your location and the sound at the time.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 05:28:40 PM »
makes sense.  so running the 160hrz isn't gonna thin out the bass too much on me.  thanks.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 10:33:13 PM »
barely audible.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Fisherking

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 04:10:31 AM »
I have those mics as well and have never had any problems with bass. I never used the bassrolloff on my box. Lower the recording level abit and hopefully you will be fine.
DPA 4061/SPcmc4->SP SB1/AD20->SonyD100/JB3

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 05:51:31 AM »
It's not a problem relating to the recording levels at all, just too much bass for the mics.  The levels are fine.  I record LOUD metal shows which sometimes have shit tons of bass in comparisson to the mild sound at these hippie shows most the folks here tape at.  I guess I need to get a phantom setup if I have any more trouble.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com