Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best hand-held digital recorder?  (Read 3862 times)

Offline bardo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best hand-held digital recorder?
« on: May 22, 2008, 09:08:53 AM »

I'm looking to purchase a hand held recorder. Any recommendations, given what's currently available?   :)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best hand-held digital recorder?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 09:45:47 AM »
Budget?
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 11:50:26 AM »
"Hand held recorder" covers a pretty wide range of gear.  It would help if you could describe what types of recording you intend to do, whether you prefer to use external mics or not, and what your budget is. 

That way we'll know if you're looking for a sub-$200 recorder you can take moshing, or a $2500 machine for mastering CDs of the sounds of poison dart frogs in the Costa Rican rainforest. 

Flintstone

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 02:16:23 PM »
a $2500 machine for mastering CDs of the sounds of poison dart frogs in the Costa Rican rainforest. 

Flintstone

Actually, poison dart frogs don't use CDs, which are way too big for them.  They use minidisk.

Jeff

Offline bardo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 03:42:59 PM »
Thanks, I'll be more specific. I already have a Tascam HDP2 which I use for recording my band. I want a hand-held recorder for capturing song ideas on the fly and listening back. So ease of use is important. I'd also like the possibility to capture field sounds, ie: my 1 year olds singing, birdsong etc at the highest quality possible in case I want to role it into a composition... Budget: $600 max, less even better.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 05:51:46 PM »
Thanks, I'll be more specific. I already have a Tascam HDP2 which I use for recording my band. I want a hand-held recorder for capturing song ideas on the fly and listening back. So ease of use is important. I'd also like the possibility to capture field sounds, ie: my 1 year olds singing, birdsong etc at the highest quality possible in case I want to role it into a composition... Budget: $600 max, less even better.

To recap a quote in another thread by Mr Flintsone...

A few stealthy recorders to consider.
Flintstone

less than $200
------------------------
Zoom H2

less than $300
------------------------
Tascam DR-1
Zoom H4
M-Audio Microtrack 2
Edirol R-09

less than $400
------------------------
Sony MZ-M200 (HiMD)
Olympus LS-10
Edirol R-09 HR
Yamaha Pocketrak 2G  (coming in May)
...also known as Xacti ICR-PS285RM
Marantz PMD620

less than $500
------------------------
Sony PCM-D50

more than $500
------------------------
Korg MR-1
Nagra ARES-M II

I think they are all pretty good. A little reserch with google and the individual threads here wor each of the above decks, and you can probably find which one appeals most to you. Perhap another Tascam if you are happy with your HD P2.  ;D

And of course if you want something used, you can check the Yard Sale.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline bardo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:05:17 AM »
Thanks Dalman

That's a useful list

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 02:52:25 AM »
Thanks Dalman

That's a useful list

BTW: the Zoom H2 makes the best internal-mic recordings of any recorders < $500. So if you want to record from the internals, it's the only way to go...does surround recording too.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:42:48 AM »
Thanks Dalman

That's a useful list

BTW: the Zoom H2 makes the best internal-mic recordings of any recorders < $500. So if you want to record from the internals, it's the only way to go...does surround recording too.

digifish

With that said ( and I tend to agree) is there any recording quality to be gained by buying low end < $200 priced external stereo/binuaral mic& preamps?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:21:50 AM »
Thanks Dalman

That's a useful list

digifish

I'd have to disagree on that one. I've owned both the H4 and the H2, and I returned the H2 to the store.

IMHO, the H4 made a much better recording with less self-noise, using its internal mics.

Phillip
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 03:59:11 PM »
pdaudio is a bulletproof option under $400, and serves double duty as a PDA, which can do ALOT of things
[/quote]

I'd have to disagree on that one. I've owned both the H4 and the H2, and I returned the H2 to the store.

IMHO, the H4 made a much better recording with less self-noise, using its internal mics.

Phillip
[/quote]
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Best hand-held digital recorder? Not PD-Audio!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »
Well, I'll tell you UNLESS you have a PDA that will take the SDHC-my current PDA (H5555) will only go as high as 4 gb- that is a HUGE limitation-unless you want to 'swap' out the card during a show- forget about stealth-even with the ability thanks to Gordon's great software, for stealth purposes, that is huge limitation. As an example, I went to a show recently where it was a very dark theatre and was heavy on the no electronics of ANY kind (emphatic with that several times- they will literally YANK them out of your hand) anyway, as a result of having to start the show early enough to go in lo-pro, I ran out of 'media' through one of the best songs of the set! I was pissed- anyway, that's a limitation that you won't get from the Core Sound site- as they puff up how great it is compared to anything out there. I just picked up the Edirol R-O9 HR and have 8 gigs- even with 24/96 (which is my 'native' format) I get 3 hours and 50 mintues to that card. Anyway, just my feedback to the PD-Audio thing- it was great in concept and poor in delivery for me- other posters here or on PD Audio's group can post about their 'success'.

pdaudio is a bulletproof option under $400, and serves double duty as a PDA, which can do ALOT of things

Phillip
[/quote]
[/quote]
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com