Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)  (Read 105445 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 08:07:32 AM »
The Petrol PS617 (one of the recommended bags on the FAQ page) is currently selling for $79 at B&H and qualifies for free shipping. It normally sells for about $270.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/902128-REG/Petrol_ps617_Lightweight_Audio_Bag_Large.html

Still haven't worked out a bag yet. Anyone running one of these with the 70D?

I use an earlier version of this one: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/speed-changer-v2.aspx

Top shelf quality, just enough padding, and a nice fit for the DR-70 with enough room for spare batteries, etc. Top access only, so if you want to operate the unit while in the bag you'll need right-angle XLRs. New only $50+, or used on fleabay for $20-30.

Dave

I still love my little Amazon Basics bag.  I can fit the 70D, M10, FP24, external battery, 4 shockmounts, 4 mics (though mine are really small) battery charger for 4 AAs, superclamp, posi-lok clutch, and miscellaneous accessories.  When the shocks are removed for use, I have plenty of room to run the 70D with 4 mics plugged in, as long as I use the stubby cables.  The only thing it doesn't hold are my mic cables, which I've since gotten a small accessory bag for.  My interest in the Petrol bags was in the hope I could fit everything in one reasonably-sized bag, cables and all.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Large-Gadget-Orange-interior/dp/B00CF5OHZ2/ref=pd_cp_p_0/177-0194371-0303366
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 08:13:49 AM »
Firmware update requests:
- Allow slate tone to be disabled.

YES! I would not like to break off the button, but if I get one recording ruined by a slate tone, and there's not a firmware fix, I can pretty much tell you what's gonna happen...  :facepalm:

I think you're far more likely to accidentally bump the REC button than the SLATE button, since REC sticks out a bit and SLATE is more flush with the front panel.  If you're worried you're going to hit something...  that's why these things have HOLD switches.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 08:46:04 AM »
I wonder if putting the SLATE function in "AUTO" mode might disable the button?

As long as you get all of your take - Im ok with the tone.

Might be a best "just in case" practice to set the slate tone level at its lowest, -36db

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 10:19:18 AM »
I thought you had to press and hold the slate button to get a tone?  I suppose you could glue it open.

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
To Tascam/Tom: I don't suppose it'd be possible through firmware to give an option to change the Slate into a 'T' mark function (like on the Sony M10)?

Dave
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:32:26 AM by groovon »

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2015, 10:29:30 AM »
I thought you had to press and hold the slate button to get a tone?  I suppose you could glue it open.

The settings for AUTO imply that in automatically inserts a slate tone at the beginning (or beginning and end) of each take.

I just tested this and it does seem as if the SLATE button is NOT functioning in AUTO mode.

BUT - there is a small pulse on channel 3 if you do press it...perhaps a bug?

EDIT: Rethinking this a bit - the small pulse I see in the levels is from the sound of me pushing the slate button with internals which I had active and leveled up.

With levels all the way down - you still get the auto slate tone,

but otherwise SLATE has no effect if pressed in AUTO mode.

So - by using the AUTO slate feature - you can disable the button. (at least in theory!)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:43:45 PM by Life In Rewind »

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »
Yes, I use the PS617.  I'll try to remember to take a picture.  Only gripe is you can't securely close the top - it only has the clear flap attached by velcro.  Not a deal breaker for me.

The Petrol PS617 (one of the recommended bags on the FAQ page) is currently selling for $79 at B&H and qualifies for free shipping. It normally sells for about $270.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/902128-REG/Petrol_ps617_Lightweight_Audio_Bag_Large.html

Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »
Yes, I use the PS617.  I'll try to remember to take a picture.  Only gripe is you can't securely close the top - it only has the clear flap attached by velcro.  Not a deal breaker for me.

Thanks, Craig. The flap wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me either.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »
Great, so the solution to me not wanting to contend with accidental slate tones is to deliberately put slate tones on every single file I record? Kinda takes a little fun out of listening back to masters as I go to sleep...

Oh, yes, the miraculous HOLD feature, that locks out your input level controls, and if you accidentally move one of THEM, and come off hold to attempt to make an adjustment, Crazy Level Jumping takes place, I assume? (guess I should experiment with this!?)

The settings for AUTO imply that in automatically inserts a slate tone at the beginning (or beginning and end) of each take.

I just tested this and it does seem as if the SLATE button is NOT functioning in AUTO mode.
(snip)

So - by using the AUTO slate feature - you can disable the button. (at least in theory!)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »
Great, so the solution to me not wanting to contend with accidental slate tones is to deliberately put slate tones on every single file I record? Kinda takes a little fun out of listening back to masters as I go to sleep...

Oh, yes, the miraculous HOLD feature, that locks out your input level controls, and if you accidentally move one of THEM, and come off hold to attempt to make an adjustment, Crazy Level Jumping takes place, I assume? (guess I should experiment with this!?)

(snip)

I think you're blowing this way out of proportion.  I have never once accidentally hit the slate button.  You really have to press and hold it in for it to activate.  Yes, you're right about the hold switch behavior with the gain pots (see the FAQ), and I don't agree with that design choice but I understand why they did it that way.

For me, I'm more worried about accidentally hitting the record button and interrupting my recording, which is why I engage hold as soon as I know my levels are good.

I don't think the auto tone solution is necessary here.  Just don't hit the button!  If you really are worried about hitting the slate button, set it to its lowest level as already suggested.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »
I think you're blowing this way out of proportion.
(snip)
 If you really are worried about hitting the slate button, set it to its lowest level as already suggested.

Absolutely, I am being melodramatic, but if I get ONE recording with a bleepin' BLEEP substituted for content (low level or high level, I don't care, if it's throwing away my bits!) I'm busting out the butterknife/ mini-pry-bar.  :o
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2015, 08:22:38 PM »
I think you're blowing this way out of proportion.
(snip)
 If you really are worried about hitting the slate button, set it to its lowest level as already suggested.

Absolutely, I am being melodramatic, but if I get ONE recording with a bleepin' BLEEP substituted for content (low level or high level, I don't care, if it's throwing away my bits!) I'm busting out the butterknife/ mini-pry-bar.  :o

Depending on what you're recording, that 1kHz tone might just mix in nicely with the music. :P
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2015, 09:30:48 PM »
So excuse my ignorance but I see the slate button on my DR-70D and really have no clue what it's for if one DID want to use it. Anyone care to explain?
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline voltronic

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2015, 09:48:02 PM »
So excuse my ignorance but I see the slate button on my DR-70D and really have no clue what it's for if one DID want to use it. Anyone care to explain?

Reference tone for level matching external cameras and recorders.  Also marking takes if doing video work.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2015, 10:24:09 PM »

Reference tone for level matching external cameras and recorders.  Also marking takes if doing video work.
how would one go about using it for level matching?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com