Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good day ya'll. Sony PCM-M10 related  (Read 5526 times)

Offline EWizard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Good day ya'll. Sony PCM-M10 related
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »
Good day everyone!
I just got my membership authenticated today and wanted to share my thoughts about the Sony PCM-M10 that I purchased a couple of days ago.
I bought this unit for a combination of live sound recording as well as digitizing my vinyl collection of things that I do not own in digital format already.
In the late 90's I used to do similar types of things with a portable Sony DAT machine, and this new unit seems to blow it away.

First impressions are this thing is dynamite in a small package.
The first thing I used it for was doing needle drops on some vinyl that needed to be digitized, recorded via the Line In from my Phono Preamp in 24bit/96k.
Sounds great, but maybe a tad bit sizzly on the top end.  I have been trying to keep the recording level down to where it peaks at -12db.  Does this sound correct?

Regarding live sound recording, I have been reading here that a great pairing for this unit is the church-audio stuff.
I plan on getting some CA-14 cards at some point, and probably a battery box or preamp from them as well.

Anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this little product.

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Good day ya'll. Sony PCM-M10 related
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 12:41:09 PM »
Regarding live sound recording, I have been reading here that a great pairing for this unit is the church-audio stuff.
I plan on getting some CA-14 cards at some point, and probably a battery box or preamp from them as well.

Welcome to Taperssection. If you are quick you might just catch the best bargain ever ...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=173300.0
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline EWizard

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:20:15 PM »
Jon,
Are you saying that I should be setting my levels to -3db peaks?
That makes sense, as I had to use the "amplify" effect in Audacity to bump the levels.
Thanks for the link Adrian, looks like a killer deal there!

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 04:54:52 PM »
Yes, the M10 gets a lot of love around here. Great recorder.

For live recording when sound levels can fluctuate, -12db target is a good safe choice but as Jon points out you can be a little more aggressive if the source is less dynamic like when you're digitizing vinyl

There are a lot of threads about the M10 if you look back through the recorder section of the board. Welcome!

Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 07:30:08 PM »
^ Depends on who you ask...  -12 db is a common level around here but I know DSatz has pointed out on at least one occasion that it's a bit overly safe.  -6 db is probably safe enough and even a soft clip most likely will not be noticeable.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:48:11 PM »
There are a lot of threads about the M10 if you look back through the recorder section of the board. Welcome!

Current thread for general discussions about the M10 is http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170179.0

Offline achalsey

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 10:37:16 PM »
Right.  But, even for rock shows peaking at -12 is pretty conservative.

As to the OP, the green lights on the M10 activate at -12 dB's.  The red ones at -6.  Setting peaks towards -6 dbs is perfectly safe IMO.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 03:02:09 PM »
Ha!  That's a good point about the opener/main act.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 12:47:08 AM »
An Lp can't have more than 14 bit resolution! You can run -12db down running at 24bit, normalize in post and you should have no more noise than running hot.

There's no need to do this, of course. As others state, you'll soon find the max level of your phono preamp.

Leave a little headroom, but no need for more than -3db or so. And at that point, why not just record at 16bit?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 07:59:45 AM »
An Lp can't have more than 14 bit resolution!

Yes, but there's the surface noise (clicks hiss and rumble) to take into account if you are doing any restoration work - in which case higher spec recording can be worthwhile.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 09:20:39 AM »
  • The right amount of headroom is whatever is necessary to avoid going over 0dbFS.
  • What value the peaking meter should indicate when setting levels prior to recording totally depends on the source and the situation.
  • A PA amplified rock show is probably one of the least dynamic live recording situations, generally requiring less headroom than other live recording situations.
  • The main act is usually louder than the opener.
  • You never know for certain, that's what makes it live.
  • A record or tape transfer is not live.  The highest signal level can be determined beforehand, or if an over happens, the transfer can be redone at a lower level.  So minimal headroom is required, technically none if you can find and measure the highest peak.  But its no fun redoing things and a few dB prevents having to do so.

An Lp can't have more than 14 bit resolution!

Yes, but there's the surface noise (clicks hiss and rumble) to take into account if you are doing any restoration work - in which case higher spec recording can be worthwhile.

What's your thinking there?  The transfer recording needn't have any higher dynamic capability than that which will contain the full range of the source.   If one consideres the surface noise to be signal just like the music, it doesn't take any more dynamic range to capture it.   Any restoration or sweetening work can be done at a higher bit-depth and/or sample-rate if the software tools perform more accurately and with less error that way, regardless of the bit-depth/sample-rate of the transfer recording, or the final file output.   
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 12:31:44 AM »
What's your thinking there?

Trouble is, I'm going back a few years to when I used to do, and read about, that sort of stuff.  My recollection is that there are good reasons, when doing restoration, to start with a higher resolution recording than the original material would appear to merit.  This is because restoration software can better identify unwanted clicks and scratches if recorded at 24/96 than at lower specs.  However - google isn't immediately throwing up a supporting reference.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 12:34:40 AM »
Gutbucket wrote:

- The right amount of headroom is whatever is necessary to avoid going over 0dbFS.

That.

Headroom in the design of recording equipment--the ability to handle high signal levels gracefully--is a definite virtue. But this is a different meaning of "headroom". When you're setting the levels on a recorder, and you deliberately cordon off 6 or 10 or 12 dB from ever being used at all--that is sheer waste, and decreases the quality of the recording.

I'm only criticizing the mistaken idea that an optimal recording will have peak levels substantially below 0 dB, and that people should strive for that outcome. Of course you allow some margin of safety when you're not sure how loud things are going to get. But the goal and the hope should be for absolute peak levels to approach (but never quite reach) 0 dB, not some lower level, and especially not some much lower level such as -12 (or I've even heard -16).

--best regards
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 04:04:40 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com