Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY: dead rats  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Nedhead

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
DIY: dead rats
« on: September 02, 2015, 09:26:01 AM »
what kind of material, and where might i find?

I bought some windtechs for my Nak CP4's. Tested them out this past weekend @ NedFest. obviously not enough for the day time mountain winds. I was planning on taping the Phish Dicks run, but w/o the extra screen, there's no point, imo. get's breezy on that Dick's floor.

Thanks

Night Time NedFest Sets. no wind.

Hard Working Americans
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=582043

Chris Robinson Brotherhood
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=582025
DiGiHoArDeR - #1

AKG c414xls
Nakamichi CM100/CP1, 2, 3 & 4
Audio Technica 4041
Sound Devices MixPre3ii
Tascam DR100-mkII

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: DIY: dead rats
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 11:24:52 AM »
Faux fur...available in boulder at joann? fabric store (end store in mall on 28th next to safeway). Bought maybe 10 dollars worth of black faux fur material and they had it in stock. Wife and I got out the thread and needle...Made at least 6 dead rats for medium to small size mics from it and still have some left. Still run windscreens with dead rats over them. Some people just run those huge shure windscreens.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:31:51 AM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline Nedhead

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 11:40:03 AM »
thanks.

I'm going to Jo Ann Fabrics, this afternoon, to check it out. Hopefully I can get something made in time...

thanks again, and how did your NedFest caps turn out?
DiGiHoArDeR - #1

AKG c414xls
Audio Technica 4041
Sound Devices MixPre3ii
Tascam DR100-mkII

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »
thanks.

I'm going to Jo Ann Fabrics, this afternoon, to check it out. Hopefully I can get something made in time...

thanks again, and how did your NedFest caps turn out?

From discussions that I have read on TS it is the AIR around the mic that is important ...so do not make the Dead rats too tight around the wind screen. Snug and not too loose. Have a way to close them off...some use velcro or a rubber band can work too.  There is usually a seem in the faux fur so be careful where that is in the dead rat.

There was slight wind during HWA at NF. During CRB there was no wind or hardly any at all. That being said. Think being on the other side of the SBD tent may of helped me due to blocking that north wind. During HWA I as at end of SBD tent and think it actually sounded better then when I moved up 15 feet for CRB set. When I got home could not believe how good the HWA set sounded. Both set of mics were very clear. CRB did not sound as good on the recordings. Not saying it sounded bad just that HWA sounded so good. Had to order something from sweetwave audio and they ran sound for NF and asked lauren and she said the Nash did sound for HWA. That set was really dialed in.

Did you notice the HWA set sounding different then CRB in your recordings?

PS: This guy wanted to beat me up for saying to GF please be quiet...he was so drunk...he kept bumping into me trying to get me to fight him...you know what I look like and my age...Wow just WOW...Did not have a good night at all after that...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:55:11 AM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline Nedhead

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 01:50:42 PM »
wow that sucks. I was in the back, w/ the wife and kid, majority of the time, thought it sounded good everywhere. minus the wind shifts.

http://i.imgur.com/MTbd25Z.png

top track is HWA, bottom is CRB. I was shocked at the difference. But as I type, I recall hearing about noise complaints. so maybe they turned down the last acts....?

i hope this stuff works. it's all they had.

http://i.imgur.com/NPFVx6b.png

DiGiHoArDeR - #1

AKG c414xls
Audio Technica 4041
Sound Devices MixPre3ii
Tascam DR100-mkII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com