Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Image management for RAW Images for use on a PC  (Read 1923 times)

Guide Pup Raiser

• Trade Count: (0)
Image management for RAW Images for use on a PC
« on: June 12, 2006, 08:41:05 AM »
Hey there.. I asked this question a bit ago in the Open Forum.  Then got to thinking it would be wiser to ask here..

Just bought a new Dell laptop -- and want to begin to make images in the RAW format... (I shoot with a Rebel, and up till now -  had not used the RAW feature.. )

Do any of you have any suggestions for good image management software for a PC?  Again, it must support RAW image files...

UP till now, I've usedIphoto, but it does not support RAW, and besides, I no longer have a Mac... Any advice you could offer would be appreciated.  With the new baby in the house, it's all but impossible to make the time to do serious research on this subject. 

Thanks in advance..

Gina in South Florida

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:44:16 AM by Guide Pup Raiser »

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: Image management for RAW Images for use on a PC
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 09:57:48 AM »
I use Capture One for Raw Conversions.  there is also a raw converter that comes with the software bundle of the rebel, as well as a built in raw converter if you are running photoshop CS2.  I prefer c1, i like the interface better than photoshop and i seem to get better results (but that could be because i have gotten used to its controls as i have been uisng it for a couple of years).  the one advantage of the raw converter bundled with the canon is that canon does not release camera profiles so the companies that put out 3rd party raw converters have to reverse engineer camera profiles for them.

you can also use google's picassa for basic file management (it can view the Raw files which actually surprised me).  my fundamental problem with picassa is that the folder view does not appear to support a directory tree view feature which i find frustrating because of the way i create directories.  i create a directory for each round of RAW files i pull off my camera, then create a sub-directory called "developed tifs" for each one to place the raw files processed into tif files, then another sub for "edited tifs", then "resized tifs",then "jpgs for printing.".  because picassa simply lists the directories either in order of date of creation or date of last modification, i often see like 5 or 6 directories of the same name in the directory view in picassa.  :-\

as an fyi, RAW files take up a ton of space, be organized from the outset in how you deal with and manage them, burn them off to archive discs from time to time and keep your disc defragmented.  it's another step in the editing process, but believe me, it's easily the most important step in getting much much more out of your images.  you can incredible flexibility in shooting images.  it's the first step toward learning really advanced processing techniques.  good luck and feel free to ask any other questions you have, here or by PM.

Offline adubphoto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • What happened?!
    • www.boymangodshit.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 11:34:43 AM »
I use breeze browser pro. you can batch convert, batch rename, apply noise reduction filters and other usefull features. I find it much more usefull than RAW conversion on PS  CS2.

http://www.breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/
Ret. Audio: Rode NT5's(rodents) > Omnistudio USB > Gateway5300> Cubase
Visual: Canon 30D // Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 // Canon 50mm f1.8 // Canon 70-200mm f2.8 // Canon 580EX

Aquarium Rescue Unit Flickr photo set | FLips Flickr photo set | GRAB Flickr photo set

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 10:12:16 PM »
bibble pro
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com