Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661  (Read 135675 times)

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661
« Reply #270 on: June 21, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »
I was running digi into the 661 last night, and got the message on the screen "Can Not..." 
My recording came out just fine thankfully because it was some HOT shit on them files!
Anyone ever seen this before or know what this might mean?

Is that the entire message:  "Can Not..." 

Just those two words?

I just looked it up in the manual....  "Can Not..."  =  "Command Invalid"

Still not sure what that means or why it appeared multiple times. 
This message appeared during a first set, so after the end of the set I powered the 661 off.....  turned it back on for the next set and never saw that message again. 
Any guesses to why this happened??

I think you have a card problem. After you copy off the files from the card, take out the batteries for a few minutes with the card still out, and then reinstall the batteries. Put the card back into the unit and push the "list" button, and then "edit" and delete each file off one by one, and make sure it only has the MPLANG folder, and don't delete that one. Then, reformat the card. If it still gives you problems, go out and buy a Lexar card that is at least a class "4" and you should be fine going forward.

Good luck !!!
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #271 on: June 21, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »
Thanks Brad...  I'll do that. 
I'm using a SanDisk Ultra, class 4, 32GB, 15MB/sec. card.  This deck and card are fairly new to me, so I'm not totally sure about the specs of it...........   but I would hope that this card is just fine for this unit.   
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #272 on: June 21, 2010, 06:41:16 PM »
were you using the digital input?  if so, the "can not..." message pops up whenever the gain knob is moved.  absolutely nothing to worry about, just a little reminder that the knobs on the deck don't control the levels when using the digital input, because all levels must be set upstream on your pre and/or A/D converter...

edit to add:
yup, I just re-read your post about this, and you said you were running digi into the deck.  so probably the level knob got bumped a little and the message popped up.  nothing wrong with your card, and nothing to worry about :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:42:56 PM by JasonSobel »

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #273 on: June 21, 2010, 06:48:13 PM »
I did a "livingroom Test" last night running My R-44 (AC power) with V3 24/96 (off the Tekkeon @ 6v) and the PMD661 24/96 with Phantom ON & Mics (off the Tekkeon 5v USB Plug).  The tekkeon had 2 lights missing and it powered the V3 & the 661 for 6+ hours.

Did you power it from the Tekkeon USB out?

OK, so I ran my PMD-661 for the first time on Friday.  Love it!  Nice size, easy controls and great meters.  I ran it digi in from my Lunatec V3 at 24/96 with AKG 463's and it sounds excellent!

One major problem though.   For some reason it did not start a new file at 2 gigs.  The first file saved at 3.72 GB (3,999,997,462 bytes).  Now I can't open the damn file up in sound forge because it is bigger then 2 gigs.  I used 16 gig PNY class 4 sdhc that I have use with my r-44.  I can't remember if I formatted the card before using it in the 661.  I assume that is probably the reason but wanted to put it out there to the group.

In addition I would love to get some advise on how to proceed with this 3.72 gig file.  I figure I could do a "live" digital transfer from my r-44 to the the 661, but I am hoping there is a easier way.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #274 on: June 21, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »
I am confused about the transferring of files between the 661 and my computer, per your discussion with MBHOTAPER above. I understand that it is fine to use a large card to record many shows over many days, but I do not understand what you mean by "not recommend deleting files with your computer on the card". So far, I have only transferred one of my cards to my computer - via a card reader - and when I double clicked on one of the two .wav files on that card, my iTunes program opened and transferred that file into iTunes. Then when I quit iTunes, I apparently lost the entire file which I did not previously click on. I need to open the files in a program where I can track the recording, and boost levels, etc, correct? That may, in my case, be more of a discussion in the Mac OSX thread, since I use a Mac Mini, running v.10.4.11, w/a 1.5GHz Power PC G4 processor.

Harold

Harold,

I don't ever use a Mac, and I've never used iTunes, but I think I can answer your question.
When you put the card in your card reader, and then double click, it opens the files straight from the card (in iTunes).  It doesn't actually copy the files off the card to your hard drive.  That's why the files are no longer there when you take the card out, because you never copied the files in the first place.  So that's the first step, just copy the files from the card to your hard drive.  Once they are on your harddrive, there are many programs you can use to track/edit/post-process/whatever.  but I can't give you good recommendations for a Mac.

what I meant when I said "not recommend deleting files with your computer on the card" was this:
After you've copied the files from your card onto your computer and done whatever you need or want to do with those files, you are now ready to tape another show.  I would recommend against putting the card in your card reader, and using your computer to delete the files from the card.  Instead, when you are ready to clear the card to get ready for your next show, put the card in the deck and format it there.  That will clear the card and it'll be ready to go.

That said, as I think I clarified above, it's no problem at all to tape multiple bands/sets over several days or whatever on the same card, and of course you don't have to re-format the card before each set (because you would lose all the previous recordings on that card).  but in a situation like this, you are not deleting things off the card with your computer, so it's just like slowly filling up the card, which is no big deal.

hopefully this clears some things up.

- Jason

Jason,

Thanks a lot. Yes, I think that does clear up the issues I was having. I dropped & dragged the files from the folder that came up from the card reader onto my desktop. So, they have been copied now. I still have not found the time yet though to figure out which Mac program to use on them for tracking/editing... Thanks for the explanation on clearing the card for use the next time out by formating the card again in the 661 (after I have copied the files to my hard drive).

Harold
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #275 on: June 22, 2010, 12:26:17 PM »
were you using the digital input?  if so, the "can not..." message pops up whenever the gain knob is moved.  absolutely nothing to worry about, just a little reminder that the knobs on the deck don't control the levels when using the digital input, because all levels must be set upstream on your pre and/or A/D converter...

edit to add:
yup, I just re-read your post about this, and you said you were running digi into the deck.  so probably the level knob got bumped a little and the message popped up.  nothing wrong with your card, and nothing to worry about :)

That's it Jason!  You da man....  thanks for clearing up my confusion.........  I did some testing and the message "Can Not..."  definitely appears when the gain knob is adjusted while using the digital input.  Glad it's not some major issue.....  thanks y'all!!!

And, just to mention............   I'm really diggin the 661.............  it's grown on me quickly!

Offline martygene

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661 with LSD2
« Reply #276 on: June 24, 2010, 10:48:30 AM »
does anyone have any experience using the OCM PMD661 and the Studio Projects LSD2? I don't want to have the problem that i am reading about called brickwalling. Should i set the LSD2 to -10db AND set the 661 to -18db to prevent brickwalling or is that going to be overkill?? any help would be much appreciated.
thanks

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Re: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661 with LSD2
« Reply #277 on: June 24, 2010, 12:45:05 PM »
does anyone have any experience using the OCM PMD661 and the Studio Projects LSD2? I don't want to have the problem that i am reading about called brickwalling. Should i set the LSD2 to -10db AND set the 661 to -18db to prevent brickwalling or is that going to be overkill?? any help would be much appreciated.
thanks

I was the one that posted this in another thread, though I was using a stock 661. Brickwalling is when there is distortion caused by overloading the mic input, even though the deck's meters show good levels. It has been reported elsewhere that if you must turn the dial below "4" to keep recording levels from going too high, you are probably going to get brickwalling.

I had the LSD2 running into the 661 with the mic pad off and the deck set to the -18 setting. The opener was louder than I had expected, and I was getting the red leds lighting up and the dial was set just below "5". Fortunately, I did not get brickwalling, or clipping. I am not sure when the red led lights up, but my file peaked at -0.5db or so, even though the red leds came on. For the next act, I engaged the pad on the mic and kept recording. Keep in mind that it was a small club and I was not that far from the PA. I wouldn't necessarily hesitate to engage the -10 pad on your mic, but I would also experiment where you normally record to see if the pad is even needed. If you don't have a 661 yet, see if you can borrow one to try out.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline martygene

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #278 on: June 24, 2010, 12:53:39 PM »
i did get the 661 and the lsd2 but haven't been to a show to try them out and wanted to know how to set them so i don't get brickwalling if possible.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #279 on: June 24, 2010, 07:30:54 PM »
the settings on the deck (-18, -12, -6, and 0dB) are gain settings, not an attenuator setting.  so it's best to set it as low as possible that will still give you good levels.  So I'd start with the deck at -18dB and no pad on your mic.  personally, I always run my deck at the -18dB setting, and I also always use the -15dB pad on my mics.  However, I think the beyerdynamic mics are more sensitive than the LSD2, so you might not need to use the pad on your mics.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2010, 11:20:04 PM »
The Oade concert and warm mods both increase the headroom of the preamps significantly over the stock unit, while lowering the noise floor at the same time. The super mod is for nature recording, so with the increased sensitivity of that mod, you would face the same issue as the stock unit has with headroom. I always run an outboard preamp in front of my warm mod, going into the 661 XLR line in, and have yet to have a too loud input source create any brickwalling problems. Have not tested it much as an all-in-one, though......
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #281 on: June 26, 2010, 11:41:01 PM »
The attenuator is nothing more than a gain setting.  In my experiences, it's best to keep it as low as possible (-18db) provided you're still able to get levels in the -6 to -3db range.  Only during super quiet performances (regardless of indoor/outdoor) do I even consider the thought of increasing the preset gain.  Your microphones, of course, will have some influence over this as well depending upon their sensitivity.

Are you referring to using mics direct into the 661 when using -18 db? I ran my OCM 661 direct from my ho's w/-12 db and it sounds pretty good with no brickwalling.

When I ran my mini-mp in front of it I was @ 0 db and it sounds great! Just want to clarify when to use the -12db or -18db is for just running straight into the 661. If not does the OCM or OWM provide enough head room that the -12db or -18db is not needed?

Thanks,
mbhotaper

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #282 on: June 27, 2010, 01:52:19 AM »
Anyone know if when the headphone volume is turned up (with NO headphones plugged in)....   does the headphone amp draw power?

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #283 on: July 17, 2010, 01:25:45 AM »
the settings on the deck (-18, -12, -6, and 0dB) are gain settings, not an attenuator setting.  so it's best to set it as low as possible that will still give you good levels.  So I'd start with the deck at -18dB and no pad on your mic.  personally, I always run my deck at the -18dB setting, and I also always use the -15dB pad on my mics.  However, I think the beyerdynamic mics are more sensitive than the LSD2, so you might not need to use the pad on your mics.

I've been running mine @ -18dB for best results. -12dB if it's a smaller club, but never less than that. I've been running a V3/MP-2 in front as well.
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #284 on: July 21, 2010, 07:09:40 PM »
Has anyone had any problems after updating to the latest version released 05/19/2010?  Details and link for the update below.  I have a break from recording and am looking to do the update now.

Marantz PMD661 Firmware Update Version A1.17 

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4405&Tab=FAQ

PMD661 v.1.17 Firmware Details:

1.   When unit is restored after abnormal termination, data's chunk might not be correct.
2.   Malfunction might occur when using an SD card that is formatted by PMD661 in other equipment.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com