Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rockbox status update  (Read 11233 times)

Offline petur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
Rockbox status update
« on: June 29, 2008, 10:38:24 AM »
Maybe some of you know we're having a Rockbox developer conference right now in Berlin (ending in about an hour I think), and I figured I'd post a status here about the recording related stuff.

The general consensus is that recording has been looked upon as not really a priority in the past, and that we will take it a bit more serious. The recording screen will get its transformation to the viewports system and then the remainder of the REP will get added in again.

Don't expect this to happen tomorrow already, but at least there will be no more internal discussion about it when somebody wants to commit it ;)

More info on the developer conference can be found here.

And many greetings from Berlin!
Peter

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Rockbox status update
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 09:41:50 PM »
Good luck to you guys, T+!
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:26:17 PM »
Wow!  You guys are like a corporation, Steering board and everything.  That is wild.  The pictures really put into perspective how much dedication and organization there is around Rockbox.  +T Petur.  Even ordering pizza is high tech for you guys.  :D
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:28:02 AM »
ordering pizza by showing the selection with a beamer was just a practical thing to do ;)

I now also have an h120 for testing  8)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 08:21:49 AM »
You know, all the major audio manufacturers that make portable players and recorders should hire the rockbox team...you guys are incredible.  +T
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 06:17:31 PM »
The general consensus is that recording has been looked upon as not really a priority in the past, and that we will take it a bit more serious. The recording screen will get its transformation to the viewports system and then the remainder of the REP will get added in again.

Well its about time you slackers did something worthwhile. Gosh, I mean my iriver 120 can't do 96K recordings yet!
haha

just kidding.
I've only had my 120 for a couple months and I am absolutely amazed at the dedication the rockbox team has put into making software for a device 90% of the population can identify for a small portion of the population (tapers).

Keep up the great work!

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 12:27:01 PM »
I thought I would chime in some thanks for the work on Rockbox and Petur's exceptional taste in beer as well.  I scanned through some of the conference highlights {glad to see so many devs with Iriver H1X0 devices!} but I didn't see any iphones.  Are you guys going to do a Rockbox app you could sell?  I would pay for flac playback on an iphone.  I suppose that wouldn't be in the spirit of open source, though.  I never got to play with the REP in previous versions so I'm looking forward to seeing those features in future builds.

Either way thanks to all you devs for the hard work us regular folk around the globe can enjoy.
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »
just throwing in my thanks to Petur and the rockbox guys!! ;D
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 03:28:00 AM »
I thought I would chime in some thanks for the work on Rockbox and Petur's exceptional taste in beer as well.  I scanned through some of the conference highlights {glad to see so many devs with Iriver H1X0 devices!} but I didn't see any iphones.  Are you guys going to do a Rockbox app you could sell?  I would pay for flac playback on an iphone.  I suppose that wouldn't be in the spirit of open source, though.  I never got to play with the REP in previous versions so I'm looking forward to seeing those features in future builds.

We have a GSoC (google summer of code) project running to create a 'Rockbox as an application' build. I don't know about iphones, but it will run on certain smartphones.

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »
Status Update:

I just committed a first redesign of the recording screen. It now uses the user font and is split between a fixed top part and a list below.
This means bigger fonts and peakmeters :)

To try it, just install the 'current build'.

Comments, suggestions,... are welcome

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 07:34:19 PM »
I loaded it onto my h120 and found the gain controls all wacky.  They aren't fluid.  It would jump like 5db up or down, then go in incriments of .5 fluid, then jump like 10db again.  I will visit the Rockbox site for more info on this build and how to make the peak meters bigger.  I am still using an old REP build from Oct. last year which has yet to fail me and don't see a whole lot of reason to upgrade. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:57:01 PM by rsimms3 »
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 09:23:24 PM »
Great news, petur! Great news about the REP being incorporated too. Thank you, so much petur! The Rockbox developers are incredible. +T's on this thread!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 03:32:09 AM »
I loaded it onto my h120 and found the gain controls all wacky.  They aren't fluid.  It would jump like 5db up or down, then go in incriments of .5 fluid, then jump like 10db again.  I will visit the Rockbox site for more info on this build and how to make the peak meters bigger.  I am still using an old REP build from Oct. last year which has yet to fail me and don't see a whole lot of reason to upgrade. 

The peakmeters now have the same height as the font, so if you increase the font size, they will grow as well. I'm still looking at a way to make the peakmeters variable height, partly because I already got one complaint that they are too big now ;) Can't please everybody it seems :)

Regarding the gain change: I'll have to test this on my h120, it works quite as it should on my h320

Offline batchain

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »

The peakmeters now have the same height as the font, so if you increase the font size, they will grow as well. I'm still looking at a way to make the peakmeters variable height, partly because I already got one complaint that they are too big now ;) Can't please everybody it seems :)

Regarding the gain change: I'll have to test this on my h120, it works quite as it should on my h320

From time to time I still use my H320 for recording so I'm am thrilled to finally see the system fonts you set show up on the Recording Screen. Thanks petur!
Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »
I loaded it onto my h120 and found the gain controls all wacky.  They aren't fluid.  It would jump like 5db up or down, then go in incriments of .5 fluid, then jump like 10db again.

Just tried on my h120 and I can't reproduce this. Are you keeping the joystick left/right or nudging it for each increment?
For some reason the gain doesn't update if you keep it pressed too long - it only updates again when you release. If that is your problem, I'm checking it ;)

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 06:59:19 PM »
I loaded it onto my h120 and found the gain controls all wacky.  They aren't fluid.  It would jump like 5db up or down, then go in incriments of .5 fluid, then jump like 10db again.

Just tried on my h120 and I can't reproduce this. Are you keeping the joystick left/right or nudging it for each increment?
For some reason the gain doesn't update if you keep it pressed too long - it only updates again when you release. If that is your problem, I'm checking it ;)

Sounds more like what you said, it is doing it but you aren't seeing it do it until you let up on the stick.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 12:23:49 AM »
Certainly no offense intended whatsoever (as I really appreciate your team in everything you do), but if you are taking comments, suggestions etc, here's mine:

while recording, the font size is waaay too small. Meaning the MegaByte counter that increments (to show you that you are recording and the file is getting larger) is a bit on the small side.

2) and on the same matter, instead of having a megabyte counter increase (again when recording),  can you have an actual time counter instead?

3) of yeah, the font is too small.   ;D

My gear:
h320 (with modded 4gig CF card) running on a early June 2008 build. Haven't tried that new build yet

Status Update:
I just committed a first redesign of the recording screen. It now uses the user font and is split between a fixed top part and a list below.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 02:07:03 AM »
Certainly no offense intended whatsoever (as I really appreciate your team in everything you do), but if you are taking comments, suggestions etc, here's mine:

while recording, the font size is waaay too small. Meaning the MegaByte counter that increments (to show you that you are recording and the file is getting larger) is a bit on the small side.

2) and on the same matter, instead of having a megabyte counter increase (again when recording),  can you have an actual time counter instead?

My gear:
h320 (with modded 4gig CF card) running on a early June 2008 build. Haven't tried that new build yet

Status Update:

...this thread is about the LATEST build with updated recording-screen  ;D...........we already know that older builds like yours from June have small peakmeters etc.

I just upgraded to the latest build and the recordings screen is much easier to read now.
There is some small issue with the gain-setting not being dynamically updated after it´s been altered.
Am sure you will realize this on your H120 too.
;)

Thanks a lot Petur!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 02:23:10 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 09:30:49 PM »
I know this is NOT the place for it petur, but it is the most active area to put this question and I don't want to go to the RB forum to put it up or search for the thread, I'm lazy.   Was 96k confirmed to be accurate on optical recordings?  My set up is going to be Mics > UA5 > EEE PC 24/96 and the h120 on optical as back up.  Recording shows 96k.  Is there a way I can confirm it really is 96k or has it been done?  Thanks.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 05:13:29 AM »
I know this is NOT the place for it petur, but it is the most active area to put this question and I don't want to go to the RB forum to put it up or search for the thread, I'm lazy.   Was 96k confirmed to be accurate on optical recordings?  My set up is going to be Mics > UA5 > EEE PC 24/96 and the h120 on optical as back up.  Recording shows 96k.  Is there a way I can confirm it really is 96k or has it been done? 

How about recording a bit and checking the file in an audio editor? ;)

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 05:15:53 AM »

Well my latest changes actually fix all that, so if you would care to actually try it out...

As for the time counter: it has always been there

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 08:08:36 AM »
I know this is NOT the place for it petur, but it is the most active area to put this question and I don't want to go to the RB forum to put it up or search for the thread, I'm lazy.   Was 96k confirmed to be accurate on optical recordings?  My set up is going to be Mics > UA5 > EEE PC 24/96 and the h120 on optical as back up.  Recording shows 96k.  Is there a way I can confirm it really is 96k or has it been done? 

How about recording a bit and checking the file in an audio editor? ;)

I did, the h120 showed 96k when recording and when I loaded it in Audition it showed 96k as well.  Is there a specific thing I need to do to make sure it is true 96k?
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 02:07:09 PM »
I did, the h120 showed 96k when recording and when I loaded it in Audition it showed 96k as well.  Is there a specific thing I need to do to make sure it is true 96k?

afaik, if it records optical you get the bitstream as it was received. So it records what you throw at it, and when it doesn't complain it should be ok.

Is there any specific reason you doubt it?

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 02:47:11 PM »
The FAQ here says it had only been confirmed up to 88.5k and I couldn't even find a reference to optical recording past 44.1k on the Rockbox site.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline Chuck

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 03:08:47 PM »
I thought I read that it can do 20 bit, but not 24 bit.
That's why people have generally just used it for 16 bit, 44.1kHz or 48kHz recording.

That's interesting if it can do higher sample rates that 44.1kHz or 48kHz. I don't know if there's much point in recording 16 bit at higher sample rates then 48kHz anyway ???

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 04:47:14 PM »
A fellow dev confirmed to me that rockbox will record up to 96kHz on the optical input. 16bit only.

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 03:38:08 PM »
A fellow dev confirmed to me that rockbox will record up to 96kHz on the optical input. 16bit only.

:thumbsup:
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 08:33:32 PM »
if i could make a suggestion, could we possibly have some sort of large indicator (possibly at the bottom of the screen) that shows the iriver is recording.  basically i'd (and i'm sure others out there as well) would like to be able to take just a glance at the screen, see that the large indicator is there to make sure it's recording and continue doing what we're doing.

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 07:33:55 AM »
if i could make a suggestion, could we possibly have some sort of large indicator (possibly at the bottom of the screen) that shows the iriver is recording.  basically i'd (and i'm sure others out there as well) would like to be able to take just a glance at the screen, see that the large indicator is there to make sure it's recording and continue doing what we're doing.

Yes, I'm aware of the need for this and have been hit myself by it (ie missing part of the show because I thought I was recording)
It is on the to do list.

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 05:12:47 PM »

Sounds more like what you said, it is doing it but you aren't seeing it do it until you let up on the stick.

This is now fixed in the latest version :D
(that is, the one that will be available in about 5 minutes after this post as the buildservers are still making it, get it while it's fresh)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 05:43:13 PM »
Its beautiful! Not mistaking when you are recording and when its in pre-record mode.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2008, 05:10:31 AM »
New features will have to wait a bit as we will soon be entering a freeze period in preparation of the release of Rockbox 3.0

Until then we are in a bugfixing state, so if anybody knows of a bug that we don't know of or that we may be forgetting, do let us know :)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 12:58:39 PM »
I found one error with one of the themes. well, after searching all the themes, I can't find which one it was that was displaying gibberish.

What theme do you people most use?

just found it. It is called circleskin. Maybe its only my H120, though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:00:11 PM by rastasean »

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 04:38:19 AM »
circleskin is not an official skin (as far as I know)

apart from that, our webserver has crashed quite hard and is in the process of being repaired. Forums and download servers are ok:
forums.rockbox.org
download.rockbox.org

Server back online. Disk had crashed, backup system showed that it worked perfectly :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 03:02:13 AM by petur »

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2008, 10:06:42 AM »
recent change in rockbox: when recording a stereo signal in mono, you can now specify if you want L / R / L+R

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2008, 12:36:34 PM »
recent change in rockbox: when recording a stereo signal in mono, you can now specify if you want L / R / L+R

just grabbed this. that is a very nice idea!

peace

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 05:07:19 PM »
Since yesterday, the histogram code is in SVN. It only adds histogram, no balance/battery/disk. Enabled on h3x0 and h1x0.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 05:27:58 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the update. I still use my iHP-120/140's for 16 bit recording. I love them!
Is the balance meter a possibility in the future?

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 03:25:47 AM »
maybe... I tried it shortly but couldn't make any sense out of what it was displaying... Is it really that useful?

The next step will be to start separating the different items on the display as 'widgets', and introduce skinning. Then you will be able to have peakmeters and histogram in any size you want ;)

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 05:30:07 PM »
maybe... I tried it shortly but couldn't make any sense out of what it was displaying... Is it really that useful?

The next step will be to start separating the different items on the display as 'widgets', and introduce skinning. Then you will be able to have peakmeters and histogram in any size you want ;)

:thumbsup:
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline Chuck

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 07:26:16 PM »
The balance meter in the REP is a feature I haven't found in any other recorder that is as reliable as a RockBoxed iHP-120/140. For me, it has become indispensable.

I find even minor L/R bias in concert recordings annoying. Using the balance meter makes it so easy to correct any L/R level differences while recording, rather than having to do it in post production.

To me the histogram is not that useful...  :-\

Anyway, Petur, I really appreciate the effort you have put into this.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.482 seconds with 65 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com