Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Final decision: SP-CMC-?  (Read 9565 times)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Final decision: SP-CMC-?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 03:24:23 PM »
Standard cable is easy to stealth, save yourself $20.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 03:28:26 PM »
I had the leight-weight-cables cut at 1m10cm instead of standard 1m80cm(6 feet).
Never needed the extra 70cm.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 04:03:41 PM »
This battery box should always be used, even when taping silent concerts.

;D

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »
Why the BB over a SP 3 wire pre?
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 04:16:40 PM »
Why the BB over a SP 3 wire pre?
because his budget is limited.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 04:30:47 PM »
I had the leight-weight-cables cut at 1m10cm instead of standard 1m80cm(6 feet).
Never needed the extra 70cm.

This is a good point.  I also had my CMC-4 sent in for the low sens mod and asked them to chop off the cable to 4 ft.  They can definitely adjust them for you BEFORE they ship it to you since they have to cut the cables for the low sens mod anyway.

nameloc01

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 06:33:29 PM »
The cmc8s do not benefit from the low-sens mod. Save your money.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »
Well, I think this is it. ;D I'll get a 943 pair. Based on what I`ve been reading, no low sens mod for me.
I love my HLSC-1 ( which can tape a jet engine taking off , no sweat), but I think the SP-CMC-8 provides a more robust bass. Not much, but more.
I do not tape ( and never will)  metal type music - or any other genre for that matter- in huge, large arenas. The sound is usually terrible. I usually go to small and medium size clubs ( electric blues, blues-rock, jazz, instrumental music in general). Granted, very loud music, but not mind freaking bass and kick drums.
You guys think I would be fine?  ???
Thanks very much in advance  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 04:15:54 PM »
Well, I think this is it. ;D I'll get a 943 pair. Based on what I`ve been reading, no low sens mod for me.
I love my HLSC-1 ( which can tape a jet engine taking off , no sweat), but I think the SP-CMC-8 provides a more robust bass. Not much, but more.
I do not tape ( and never will)  metal type music - or any other genre for that matter- in huge, large arenas. The sound is usually terrible. I usually go to small and medium size clubs ( electric blues, blues-rock, jazz, instrumental music in general). Granted, very loud music, but not mind freaking bass and kick drums.
Yes, for small jazz-clubs the low-sens-mod is not needed...otherwise(with the low sens mod) you would have problems using line-in of your R-09HR...without an external preamp.
Same happened to me with my former R09 and my dpa4061s....mic-in ok-signal but line-in.....even max. 30 gain resulted in peaks at max. -20 on the levelmeter at loud rockshows.
I even had my former HSLC mics distorted at big indoor arena shows with loads of SPL coming from the stacks(especially low-frequencies).

Thats why i use low-sens-mics only now ;).

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 04:34:08 PM »
Yes, for small jazz-clubs the low-sens-mod is not needed...otherwise(with the low sens mod) you would have problems using line-in of your R-09HR...without an external preamp.
Same happened to me with my former R09 and my dpa4061s....mic-in ok-signal but line-in.....even max. 30 gain resulted in peaks at max. -20 on the levelmeter at loud rockshows.
I even had my former HSLC mics distorted at big indoor arena shows with loads of SPL coming from the stacks(especially low-frequencies).

Hey, my friend. Good talking to you.  :coolguy:
So, without an external preamp I'll have problems to achieve good levels running the low sens mod SP-CMC-8, right?
Is that what you're saying?

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 04:38:10 PM »

Hey, my friend. Good talking to you.  :coolguy:
So, without an external preamp I'll have problems to achieve good levels running the low sens mod SP-CMC-8, right?
Is that what you're saying?
YES ;)
NOT if you are using mic-in on your edirol :), then low-sens modded mics are great aswell on the r09.

With standard sensitive sp-cmc-8(no low-sens mod) line-in is no problem on the r09.

Offline Mr.Scully

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »
Dede2002 - so do you think the SP-CMC-8 is better than MM-HLSC-1?

Arni99 - I've just browsed this forum a little more and Chris (CA) claims that his mod is NOT useful for the AT943 mics, in fact it can worsen the sound.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 04:55:31 PM »

Just my opinion as I own both that I have preference for the MM-HLSC1's.  To me, the sound is more detailed and I honestly think the MM's give more bass response.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »

Arni99 - I've just browsed this forum a little more and Chris (CA) claims that his mod is NOT useful for the AT943 mics, in fact it can worsen the sound.
Thats what I meant yesterday when I said "some say yes and others no......" others reported distortion using the at943s.......
I had the sp-cmc-8 before and now have the low-sens modded version.
No difference in sound.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 05:50:16 PM »

Hard to tell. I don't have the SP-CMC-8. But I can tell you one thing about the HLSC-1: it sounds awesome to my ears. Like other  members said before, it`s very detailed and warm sounding ( I don't know if more detailed than the SP-CMC-8) . Maybe my pair has a problem right now. Latelly they are sounding tinny, thin and hollow. Maybe its a coincidence and/or bad luck with some venue acoustics. Maybe I got used with the sound of my MM-HLSO-micro (omni). To my ears, nothing beats a good omni pair under the correct conditions.
Anyway, I'm not that excited about the SP-CMC-8 anymore  :-\. I'm not crazy about the idea of having a mic than might or might not perform OK depending of the SPL. In my exeprience, with a BB and running Line In, you only have distortion with the HLSC-! if you are taping a tornado  ;D\ Anyway, I don't think I have too much card options being a stealth taper.  ;) ;) ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com