Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: just getting started ?????  (Read 3570 times)

Offline weigh102

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
just getting started ?????
« on: December 19, 2008, 07:06:15 PM »
I was looking at the M-Audio II and some Nak Cm300's for mics what else would i need for a good rig or any other suggestions for a good start up rig that would produce good quality recordings.   Thanks for you time i know you guys get alot of these type of questions. peace
anthony

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: just getting started ?????
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:43:43 PM »
How silly are you willing to let your wallet be?  That is the one parameter we really need to know.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline weigh102

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 08:02:32 PM »
I would like to spend about a 1000 on a total rig

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 10:12:20 PM »
You can get a nice rig for $1000. I got two for less than that! ;D

I'm partial to the R-09 (now R-09HR), but a lot of folks with vouch for the Microtrack. If you want a deck that can handle XLR input, the Fostex FR-2LE is nice and affordable.

I'm sure you will get many responses and recommendations. Check them all out and see what fits the type of recording you'll do the majority of the time (open or other). Take your time and always check out the yard sale for good used gear.

Have fun and if anyone tells you to check your wallet at the door, believe them!  ;) But you can get out cheap.

MSTaper

Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:51:16 PM »
Look into some of the busman mics and the FR-2LE.

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 07:26:48 AM »
1)  Search the history of this forum.  You'll find this question has been asked many times.  I'm not saying that to be a smart-ass but to help you out so you don't have to wait for people to respond with many different opinions.

2)  Hone in on a rig that you think might meet your budget, then go to www.archive.org and search for 5 samples of the same rig and decide if you like the sound.

3)  Generally, you can indeed get a very good rig for $1000.  Another prime consideration, in addition to budget is whether you prefer to record in a open manner with larger gear and the mics flying on a stand or with gear that has a lower profile.  This of course has a large impact on your options...you mention nak mics, so it appears that you are considering open taping.  The options are probably greater with open taping than low profile.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »
I was looking at the M-Audio II and some Nak Cm300's for mics what else would i need for a good rig or any other suggestions for a good start up rig that would produce good quality recordings.   Thanks for you time i know you guys get alot of these type of questions. peace
anthony

Inexpensive and small:
Microtrack II $225
Church Audio 9100 Version 3.3 Preamp $139
Church Audio CA-14 Cardiod $99
Church Audio CA-14 Omni $99
Total: $564

More Advanced:
Oade Warm Mod FR2LE $635
http://www.oade.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=OBA&Category_Code=FOSFR2LE-WMOD

or ask Busman if he will sell you one directly when you inquire about the microphones below:
Busman Microphone Set (includes Cardiod, Subcard, Omni, and Hyper capsules) $450
http://www.busmanaudio.com/bsc1.html

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 02:35:40 PM »
There's a pair of AT4041 in the yard for $300.  Those are very underrated mics and would be quite good to start with.  Then add an FR2LE and you're still only around $700-750ish total (depending on if you buy new or used).

That leaves you another 2 bills or so to buy the other necessities (batteries for the deck, stand, cables, flash cards, etc).

Even after all that, you'll probably still have enough left for a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant too...
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 06:57:16 PM »
Look into some of the busman mics and the FR-2LE.

Seconded. I can vouch that this rig makes some very good recordings. All for $1,000.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 08:58:18 PM »
There's a pair of AT4041 in the yard for $300.  Those are very underrated mics and would be quite good to start with.  Then add an FR2LE and you're still only around $700-750ish total (depending on if you buy new or used).

That leaves you another 2 bills or so to buy the other necessities (batteries for the deck, stand, cables, flash cards, etc).

Even after all that, you'll probably still have enough left for a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant too...

I agree if you want to go will a full size rig IE not stealth and you have $300 the best bet is the 4041 mics I freaking love these mics I have used them lots of times great mic and yes I 100% agree totally undervalued and underrated.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 09:03:44 PM »

I agree if you want to go will a full size rig IE not stealth and you have $300 the best bet is the 4041 mics I freaking love these mics I have used them lots of times great mic and yes I 100% agree totally undervalued and underrated.

Chris

I think your mics are underrated, Chris. In fact I never once used your mics for stealthing and made great open taping recordings.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 10:13:24 PM »

Chris

I think your mics are underrated, Chris. In fact I never once used your mics for stealthing and made great open taping recordings.

Thanks I appreciate that.
Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline weigh102

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 01:10:13 AM »
thanks to you all for the great information. would those AT mics work well with a MT II or is the fostex or something of that nature the best way to roll. If I were going to use The MT II with the AT's or busman's cards what other equipment would i need. Thanks agian for all your time answering my question.     anthony

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 06:22:03 AM »
The reason people are recommending the FR2LE is because it's a great 24 bit all-in-one.  That means that it has the pre-amp, ADC, and recording functions all in a single unit.  An alternative would be the Marantz PMD-660 but it's a 16 bit all-in-one.  The difference between 16 bit and 24 bit is mainly that 24 bit provides addtional headroom to prevent clipping, but if you monitor levels closely when recording in 16bit, it's plenty fine for getting great recordings (we did so for many years before 24 bit came along).  The 660 stock is fairly raw when it comes to recording live music, so most people have had pro mods done on it to bring it up to sound standards for our use.  The FR2LE also gets modded alot, but there's been alot of discussion lately about how the FR2LE sounds pretty nice stock (without any mods).  A third option is that there are a brand newly announced low profile all-in-one hitting the market as we speak...or shortly into 2009...the Martantz PMD661.  This is similar to the 660, but is 24bit, smaller sized, and uses SD cards instead of CF cards.

With the microtrack, you'd need a preamp of some kind, which whould also provide phantom power for the mics.  Just like mics, preamps come in all sizes, flavors, costs, and qualities. 

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 09:03:43 AM »
thanks to you all for the great information. would those AT mics work well with a MT II or is the fostex or something of that nature the best way to roll. If I were going to use The MT II with the AT's or busman's cards what other equipment would i need. Thanks agian for all your time answering my question.     anthony

You wouldn't *need* to buy anything else if you bought the MTII and a set of mics.  You may find that you *want* a better preamp at some point, so you may add an external or maybe even get an entirely different deck.  Still, the MTII can provide phantom power so you can pick up most any condenser mic pair and run them straight in without the need to add anything else into the chain.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com