Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do any handhelds record via USB?  (Read 10687 times)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Do any handhelds record via USB?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 07:19:44 AM »
This would suit the group here (if you like the A/D)...

http://www.bluemic.com/products/icicle

Interesting concept - but this is mono only?! That would require the sound editing software accepting two simultaneous input signals from two USB ports?! I don't think it exists, does it?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 11:13:12 AM »

This would suit the group here (if you like the A/D)...

http://www.bluemic.com/products/icicle

Sort of a stripped down mono UA-5 ... onna stick (for you Pratchett fans).
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 11:23:35 AM »

Interesting concept - but this is mono only?! That would require the sound editing software accepting two simultaneous input signals from two USB ports?! I don't think it exists, does it?

That's my question too but the audio software is usually talking to a driver, not straight to the device. I once tried to hook up both a UA-5 and a MobilePre I have to my laptop running Audacity and it didn't like that at all. But that was invoking two different drivers, this unit says it is driverless. I actually doubt that, I bet they mean the driver is built into the unit and supplied on demand across the wire like many other USB devices. Whether you can hook up two or more units probably depends on either the driver being able to handle multiple devices or the program/OS being able to handle multiple instances of the same driver.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 11:41:17 AM »
RE: handhelds
As some have mentioned the issue with a portable device being able to work with a device like the UA-5 is the USB host capability. To follow the USB host spec the device would have to provide power also to the client device.

To me, the ideal handheld device would have SPDIF input and be able to store the data on SD cards or via USB to a flash drive.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 02:08:05 PM »
RE: handhelds
As some have mentioned the issue with a portable device being able to work with a device like the UA-5 is the USB host capability. To follow the USB host spec the device would have to provide power also to the client device.

To me, the ideal handheld device would have SPDIF input and be able to store the data on SD cards or via USB to a flash drive.

Exactly!  This would be great.

By the way, I think there are two types of USB devices:

- "smart": these accept a *standard* "usb-audio" type driver, in the linux world, and an ASIO type driver in the windows world.  Example: UA5, Maudio Duo.

- "stupid": these need software loaded when connected.  Once this SW is load, the device operates as above. Example: Maudio Transit, some newer devices.  More devices tending this way because it reduces cost *just a bit*... so everyone does it as is typical in PC world.

To understand these devices, think "winmodem" as stupid and regular modem as "smart".  Not as extreme in SW involved but a similar distinction.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 08:39:55 PM »

That's my question too but the audio software is usually talking to a driver, not straight to the device. I once tried to hook up both a UA-5 and a MobilePre I have to my laptop running Audacity and it didn't like that at all. But that was invoking two different drivers, this unit says it is driverless. I actually doubt that, I bet they mean the driver is built into the unit and supplied on demand across the wire like many other USB devices.

ASIO4ALL often allows you to select multiple input drivers and use several devices in the one program. The software must be ASIO compatible tho. I don't think Audacity uses ASIO.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 08:48:40 PM »
BTW: This one will work in stereo with their drivers...

Complimentary Software Downloads for MicPort Users

* CEntrance Universal Driverâ„¢ allows for recording in stereo with multiple MicPorts

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0r2Du_1r8VE <-- this guy is annoyingly happy BTW :)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:50:27 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 04:13:28 PM »
Sorry I should be clearer - I really mean - hooking something like an ipod or even a JB3 up to a UA5 via USB...

Lots of handhelds have USB for file transfer - but - apparently, not recording.

The ikey seems be sort of the idea - but only two channel 16/44...
http://www.ikey-audio.com/ikeyplus.htm
When you mentioned the Ipod, it got me thinking about these two. Not strictly USB, since they work over the ipod interface, but maybe this is the closest you can get what you're wishing for?!

Alesis Pro Track and Belkin GoStudio, both discussed earlier here on TS, but I don't recall seeing any IRL field reports.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
BTW: This one will work in stereo with their drivers...

Complimentary Software Downloads for MicPort Users

* CEntrance Universal Driverâ„¢ allows for recording in stereo with multiple MicPorts

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0r2Du_1r8VE <-- this guy is annoyingly happy BTW :)

I have a pair.  I still haven't been able to install the MicPort drivers in a way to get both USB inputs active at the same time.  I had some email traffic with their support, and it looks like you have to install the drivers in a precise sequence or it flops.  I ran out of time before the trip where I was going to use them, so that project (among others) fell by the wayside.  Maybe I'll take another crack at it this week.  Sound quality seemed to be OK with my 460s+ actives.  I was running them into my ASUS EEE 901, and I do have some concerns that at full potential resolution (24/96) the pair of data streams produce more data than the EEE can handle (it uses relatively slow SD and SSD storage).   

Regarding USB, to reiterate what Kevin T said, the big problem is that somewhere in the USB chain you need the USB "master" that is controlling the data flow, called the "host".  Just because a device has a USB plug does not mean it can act as a host - and I believe it's a hardware issue.  For example, the USB host has to be able to provide 5v power.  Your normal USB device simply isn't wired to output power to the USB port and no software fix will change that.  I believe there is other hardware required as well to provide USB hosting services.

Mike

AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 06:51:51 PM »

Shure have one btw...

Video here...

http://www.shure.com/NewProducts/X2u/index.htm

http://www.gearwire.com/shure-x2u-wnamm09.html <- Video...ANNOYING video, as you will see :)

Frequency Response
20 to 20,000 Hz +/- 1 dB

Power Requirements
USB-powered, 500 mA, maximum

Digital Noise Floor (20 Hz to 20 kHz, A-weighted)
Minimum MIC GAIN setting: −81 dB FS
Maximum MIC GAIN setting: −78 dB FS

Sampling Rate
up to 48 kHz

Bit Depth
16 bit

Peak Signal Indicator (Tri-color)
OFF: −30 dB FS
Green: −30 to −12 dB FS
Yellow: −12 to 0 dB FS
Red: >0 (digital converter clipped)

Adjustable Gain Range
40 dB

Headphone Output
3.5 mm (1/8 inch)
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 11:01:26 PM »
Now wouldn't it be cool if one could have a little device with a USB input which would take the output from one of those and record it to a memory card?  But that's where we came in, of course... 

Hey, wait, how about doing away with the thing that has a mic input and USB output, and have a little device into which you could plug the mic direct, and it would record that, doing away with the USB bit altogether - everything in one box?

Oh...  so we've already got a slew of those devices on the market already.  Well, nevermind.  ;)

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 07:15:36 AM »
Now wouldn't it be cool if one could have a little device with a USB input which would take the output from one of those and record it to a memory card?  But that's where we came in, of course... 

Hey, wait, how about doing away with the thing that has a mic input and USB output, and have a little device into which you could plug the mic direct, and it would record that, doing away with the USB bit altogether - everything in one box?

Oh...  so we've already got a slew of those devices on the market already.  Well, nevermind.  ;)

There is a recorder built into a mic. I can't remember the make & model. It didn't appeal to me but I could see one day where maybe they would have a linked pair (or more) with a remote control panel. Instead of sending the audio signal down a cable to a recorder, it would stay in the mic/recorder. What would come down the cable would be less sensitive outputs of levels & monitoring and a return of control signals. After all, one draw back of those USB mic adapters is that often for us the controls would be 12' up in the air.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 12:52:15 AM »

There is a recorder built into a mic. I can't remember the make & model. It didn't appeal to me but I could see one day where maybe they would have a linked pair (or more) with a remote control panel. Instead of sending the audio signal down a cable to a recorder, it would stay in the mic/recorder. What would come down the cable would be less sensitive outputs of levels & monitoring and a return of control signals. After all, one draw back of those USB mic adapters is that often for us the controls would be 12' up in the air.

The other solution would be to spit a SPDIF signal down a conventional mic cable? The you could have a A/D XLR connector on one end and a bit-bucket (with monitoring) on the other.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 01:20:59 AM »

The other solution would be to spit a SPDIF signal down a conventional mic cable? The you could have a A/D XLR connector on one end and a bit-bucket (with monitoring) on the other.

digifish

Imagine this, a setup where you could either daisy chain mic/recorders together and be able to have more than one chain plug into a remote control/monitoring/bit bucket box. That way you could say, have a Decca tree in the air and some spot mics elsewhere all controlled by one box on the ground but with all the analog signals staying contained in the mic/recorders and only the digital signals coming to the control center.  Well, one can dream ...
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 01:48:50 AM »
MADI is in essence multiple SPDIF, I believe.  Perhaps one day there will be a recorder with no analog inputs but madi only, taking input from a remote stagebox converting analog to MADI.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.271 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com