Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help hanging microphones in an auditorium  (Read 1461 times)

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
Help hanging microphones in an auditorium
« on: January 11, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »
I work at a university in the music dept. and we are starting to make some changes in the way we setup microphones in our auditorium. In the past we just put them up on stands for each performance, but I would like to hang them. I've got an idea of how to do it, but was hoping somebody might be able to set me straight. Anyways, we've got a Neumann AK50 active setup with an ORTF bar. XLR's are already in place dropping down from the ceiling near the front of the stage. In the house we have a catwalk about 1/3 of the way back from the stage. The thinking I had was run string/fishing line down from the catwalk and then just connect the XLR's somehow. Maybe use fishing line again to run to each side of the catwalk for making minor adjustments to the left or right. One important factor is that we are able to raise and lower them easily because sometimes we need to use a projector and don't want them in the way. Any better ideas?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: Help hanging microphones in an auditorium
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 04:50:29 PM »
I've always seen them literally hung in an active configuration with a wire to direct the capsule at the source.  I would imagine it works well for overhead omnis, but maybe not so much if you are shooting for a single point stereo configuration and need to be able to control azimuth. 

I wonder how a long fiberglass or carbon fiber pole would work?  Think of a really long fiberglass pole from a dome tent but without the ability to be broken down with the cable run internally maybe.  Could you attach it to the gear to fly curtains in & out or do you have that? 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com