Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do mics in a hat still need windscreens when outdoors?  (Read 2015 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Do mics in a hat still need windscreens when outdoors?
« on: June 08, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »
I'll be recording some shows outdoors this summer, in some cases with AT U853 cardiod mics, where I'll probably have them in an acoustically transparent hat (due to no-stands, rather than no-taping policies).  It logically follows to me that if the hat itself is acoustically transparent, it is probably not blocking out wind noise either and thus, that I should put the windscreens on anyway.  Any thoughts?  I also have omnis that I will use in situations where I can get close enough, but I want to consider all the options.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline chrisnubar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Do mics in a hat still need windscreens when outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 05:49:42 PM »
i would stand in front of a fan w headphones on to see how windy it needs to be to require the screens, if it's a nice day, you probably don't need them. got any pics of the hat??
Beyer M160 Ribbon Mics
Minifon P-55 Wire Recorder

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 06:14:32 PM »
Screens are not real stealthy,especially with those mics. And covering them with a hat or something like that could cause some noise also, if the caps are getting brushed or rubbed. SP sells "Shure locking type" windscreens that fit those mics and they are the smallest that I've seen..I'd recommend those and making friends with your shirt collar.

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 06:24:47 PM »
You do if you use a mesh "trucker" style hat. I used the same mics in a mesh hat last year for an outdoor show, and while there are no actual rustling sounds from the wind, there are a few spots where it sounds like it's phasing i.e. moving my head around when actually I wasn't.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 06:32:59 PM »
I use a 'bamboo' style Kangol that has a pretty fine mesh that blocks out most mild wind but not moderate wind.  I always use some small windtech windscreens though on top of my MK4 caps which has been sufficient for more moderate wind conditions.  For heavy wind, the hat and windscreens are not enough, and forget about stealthing the big @$$ shure windscreens in a hat...  :P

Offline doodee

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 01:57:46 AM »
Get a big fur pimp hat and you can hide some dead rats up in there with no one knowing the difference...
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com