Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Superlux ORTF mic  (Read 9104 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Superlux ORTF mic
« on: March 18, 2010, 01:30:23 AM »
Nothing on the web about it other than this pdf.  Page 10.
Looks like a Schoeps knockoff.  Trippy.

http://www.superlux.com.tw/new/html/Suerplux_brochures/2009_new_products_final_lq.pdf

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Superlux ORTF mic
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 02:17:41 AM »
probably a 1/8 of the price...but how will it sound.....tis that is the question..
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:26:49 AM »
they look like mbho caps....

and that portable pre looks like a dead ringer for a sd mixpre
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 06:05:27 PM »
And the mixer looks like a Wendt and those speakers are JBL's and I wonder how much else is cloned stuff?

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:16:12 PM »
And the mixer looks like a Wendt and those speakers are JBL's and I wonder how much else is cloned stuff?
From what I hear Chinese companies make a lot of clone gear, but it is not exported.  I can't imagine something that looks so close to the SD mixer being exported (North America, Europe) without a lawsuit. Besides, the quality is likely to be pretty poor -- no Lundhal (sp?) transformers in this one.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »
clone or not looks like it could be interesting...
may be some reviews may show up
has promise for a good entry ORTF mic for some depending - on performance and price point of course...
and maybe some mods  ;)

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

kirk97132

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
Just traded e-mails and none of the pre or mixers were ever imported and the USA people are not even sure it was ever made with Superlux branding. 

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »
It isn't the cosmetics.  Look alike ≠ sound alike.       8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 10:10:04 AM »
Is this available in the US? It's not on the distributor site. Depending on price, I would try it. I had some of the SMK mics years ago and they were great for the price ($100/pair). If this thing were under$250 it would be well worth a try IMO.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
From what I hear Chinese companies make a lot of clone gear, but it is not exported.  I can't imagine something that looks so close to the SD mixer being exported (North America, Europe) without a lawsuit. Besides, the quality is likely to be pretty poor -- no Lundhal (sp?) transformers in this one.

Richard

Maybe it's made for Superlux by SD? That's what they did for the Shure model correct?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 02:16:03 PM »

AKG 701
AKG 240m (600 ohm)
AKG 240DF

kirk97132

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 03:00:17 PM »
Is this available in the US? It's not on the distributor site. Depending on price, I would try it. I had some of the SMK mics years ago and they were great for the price ($100/pair). If this thing were under$250 it would be well worth a try IMO.
None of that stuff is available in US and US distributor is not sure there were even any production runs overseas.  I remember seeing stuff before  about an AKG 414 clone from  another company in china but it never made it into production AFAIK.  Superlux is Taiwan company.  I tried e-mailing them but no response yet.  It looks like that SD contracted a companies to make their parts then assembled them in US "Built with parts from suppliers worldwide, Sound Devices products are assembled in Reedsburg, WI, in a defined, repeatable process. Our skilled assemblers believe in the products and the company."   And this sure shoots a big ass hole in the theory some people have of "I buy the SD stuff cause it made in america".  In reality it no different than a company like ADK who has parts made in china and assembled here.  I never knew that till now. 

So it is possible that they are the manufacturer of the units originally and could be identical to the SD units.  It does say what the contain IE transformers etc.  But it sure looks exactly the same.  But if that is the case I'd guess that SD would have a non competitive clause in the contract baring sales in US.     
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:03:48 PM by kirkd »

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 02:29:18 AM »
kirkd.

You are making a hen house from a feather.
Parts are an international business. Resistors, transistors, IC-circuits, harddisk, LCD-displays, audio transformers and so on are manufactured and traded globally.

All of the Superlux catalogue seems to be "ripoffs" or blatant copies of other designs. Nothing original. This makes me believe that they are focusing on outside, not on inside. Sort of like fake Rolex watches. And to compare with those, some might actually work past the famous three step warranty. ( Once you have walked three steps away from the sales man the warranty is void ) .

There are a lot of fakes out there. According to what I hear in Europe every year a lot of fake Shure SM58 microphones are found. These are not made in the same factory as the the real thing, but they are so close in assemblance that it takes an expert to separate them. Very closely copied outside, box and broschure material. All made to fool the unwary.  Some of them actually sound quite decent, making you wonder why they could not be sold under their own brand instead. Cudos to those factories that go under their own brands.

// Gunnar
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:33:13 AM by ghellquist »

kirk97132

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 11:53:53 AM »
Gunar, All I said it was possible or plausable not that they were the same.  Way back when I was a much younger man working in purchasing we would contract with the companies that built things.  In this particular example it was a Teac receiver.  We had it built with branding that had nothing to do with Teac.  But it was exactly the same internally and looked the same externally but did not say Teac.  In fact is said "Logic" and was made for a company that long since gone out of business.  So is it a clone? Well yes.  Is it inferior? Well no.  Are the mixpre units the same guts as the SL units, I have no idea.  But it is possible.  It is also Possible that they have cheap plastic parts and the only thing the same is the case.  I think another good example of this type of copying would be the Shure FP32(I think that's the model number).  But Shure produced an EXACT clone of the mixpre that in no way ever said it was the same as the mixpre, yet it was an exact copy inside and out.  What about if I said that this box was an exact copy of the Shure piece?  Is ti a shure clone or a clone of a clone?  I'm not saying you are wrong.  But it is possible that the unit is exactly the same.  The only way to be sure is to open it up.  So, I'd argue that it is possible someone else has done the same thing that Shure has already done.   

Is it an attempt to rip off or ride piggy back on SD's reputation.  That is also a possibility.  Are they the same company that built the panels and or the various parts internally? That is also a possibility.  Is it a cheap ass piece of crap? That is also a possibility.

And as I had also pointed out no one even thinks it went into production or ever got beyond the prototype for a catalog picture.  Maybe they approached SD and asked but SD said no, maybe this maybe that maybe so maybe not.   My other point is and I agree with you that at the transistor level and such for parts  it is a global economy.  Which I guess leads us to where do you draw the line for "made" in the USA?  But that could be another discussion for another time. 

Added as an after thought.....It leads me to wonder who does make a lot of the parts for Sound Devices.  And where they come from, after all lets face it manufacturing costs are a lot cheaper out of the US. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:32:31 PM by kirkd »

Offline nOrD

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • 3LEAVES
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
Just bought this mics and look for a shockmount which I could use them in the field. I have a CineCity for shotguns, but because of the S502 T-bar design I cannot put it into properly. Any idea?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com