Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just Curious . . . Why Re-Sample  (Read 6858 times)

Offline piperedworm

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Email - piperedworm@yahoo.com
Just Curious . . . Why Re-Sample
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:50:24 AM »
Hello my friends

Just curious, I record everything in 24/48.  If I am not going to be ripping CD's . . . Why Re-Sample to 16/441?

Is there some advantage to doing this?

Sorry if this is a stupid question

Jeff
Mics - Neumann skm184, Busman BSC2 Actives
Pre - SD Usb-pre2
Recorder - SD744

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Just Curious . . . Why Re-Sample
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:58:25 AM »
Hello my friends

Just curious, I record everything in 24/48.  If I am not going to be ripping CD's . . . Why Re-Sample to 16/441?

As long as you have the space and equipment that will handle 48khz files where ever you want to use them, I don't see that you gain anything by resampling down to 44.1. If you listen to stuff in your car and the stereo system you have won't do 48khz, that would be an example where resampling would come into play, but otherwise I'm pressed...
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline piperedworm

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Email - piperedworm@yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:03:05 AM »
For the car I usually take the 24 48's and rip them into 320kbs MP3's and throw them on my IPOD (I know  . . . ughh MP3's)

Mics - Neumann skm184, Busman BSC2 Actives
Pre - SD Usb-pre2
Recorder - SD744

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:05:40 AM »
Only 1 reason for me: Sharing via Bit Torrent for people that don't want/need 24 Bit.

I listen to my recordings in 2 ways. At home I listen to the 24 Bit source via my media server. In the car I listen to V0 MP3's because my car plays MP3's (but not FLAC).

RE: MP3's in the car. I don't see ANY reason to listen to 24 Bit in the car (if it's moving). First of all not many of us (including me) have super high end systems in the car, and most importantly...road noise.

I don't ever listen to the 16 Bit FLAC's, although I do keep them archived.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:25:34 AM »
Only 1 reason for me: Sharing via Bit Torrent for people that don't want/need 24 Bit.

I listen to my recordings in 2 ways. At home I listen to the 24 Bit source via my media server. In the car I listen to V0 MP3's because my car plays MP3's (but not FLAC).

RE: MP3's in the car. I don't see ANY reason to listen to 24 Bit in the car (if it's moving). First of all not many of us (including me) have super high end systems in the car, and most importantly...road noise.

I don't ever listen to the 16 Bit FLAC's, although I do keep them archived.

yeah, it's all about what's the goal/need. For my portable, I'll do highbitrate ogg files (cause it's gapless and smaller), and at home, I've got 16bit flacs. Since I keep the raw recording (in 24bit), and I can't hear a difference, I don't see a reason to burn the space for 2 24bit sets compared o 1 24bit and 1 16bit.

I also share the 16bit files so I have a dual reason, but if you don't, then it's back to the hardware requirements.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:21:46 PM »
The biggest reason I can think of (and the reason I do) is because I want to make it easy for the people I share my music with to enjoy it without having to jump through hoops.  Most downloaders barely know how to get bittorrent to work, let alone doing the dither/resample so they can burn CDs.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 02:49:21 PM »
Yeah, 16/44.1 mostly just satisfies downloaders who'll bitch at you.  I usually record at 24/44.1 because I'm not worried about syncing to video and don't care about the extra bits, and figure the downsampling will be "easier" on the computer.  But eventually, I suspect I will stop doing it, mostly because I don't care about the CD format.

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »

No advantage if you are not going to burn to CD. No reason to re-sample.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »
For bands that are on LMA, I upload both 24/48 and 16/44.1 versions as a courtesy to people so they can pick which they want.  On average, I'd estimate that downloaders pick my 16/44.1 versions with about 2 to 3 times the frequency as the 24/48.  It's interesting though that I've seeded some shows where the 24/48 version has more downloads than the 16/44.1. 

For archiving purposes, after I share the 16/44.1 version, I get rid of it and I only keep the 24/48 version.  If I were living only for myself, I have no need for 16/44.1 anymore.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 12:39:15 PM »
For bands that are on LMA, I upload both 24/48 and 16/44.1 versions as a courtesy to people so they can pick which they want.  On average, I'd estimate that downloaders pick my 16/44.1 versions with about 2 to 3 times the frequency as the 24/48.  It's interesting though that I've seeded some shows where the 24/48 version has more downloads than the 16/44.1. 

I've got a theory that 60% of the "downloads" we see on the LMA are streams.  Then 30% of the people download one or more MP3s, and only 10% download flac files.  The extension of this theory is when you see more downloads on the 24bit source, it's because more people are streaming or downloading mp3s, and most of them don't know or care what "24 bit" means.

If anyone ever sees real figures about this, please post.

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 01:54:19 PM »
yeah, ONE single play counts as a full download on the 16 bit. you can't stream 24 bit so unless people are really into getting 24 bit, the majority will just download mp3s. I was recently downloading FLACs with downloadthemall but that plugin doesn't work in firefox beta and I don't really care to start each FLAC download manually.

I think uploading 16 bit FLAC to LAM is a good idea so it can be streamed. Nothing is worse than downloading a 24 bit show which, for one reason or another, sucks.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 11:18:49 PM »
so if you download a 24 bit recording, how do you downsample all songs to 16bit? My music player can't play 24 bit files unfortunately.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »
The biggest reason I can think of (and the reason I do) is because I want to make it easy for the people I share my music with to enjoy it without having to jump through hoops.  Most downloaders barely know how to get bittorrent to work, let alone doing the dither/resample so they can burn CDs.

What he said...

Pretty much, I do it for other people...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 11:27:42 PM »
For the car I usually take the 24 48's and rip them into 320kbs MP3's and throw them on my IPOD (I know  . . . ughh MP3's)

This is what I do... 

Its so easy, why would you not do it???  And with road-noise, who can tell the difference???

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Brennan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 02:14:50 AM »

What he said...

Pretty much, I do it for other people...

Terry

^^^
What they said...for others to download and easily listen to / burn.
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com