Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MiniMe heat in a bag  (Read 3234 times)

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
MiniMe heat in a bag
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:21:14 AM »
I'm just rigging up my "new" MiniMe in a bag between dividers.
I ran it and babysat with it last night in the living room and noticed that after about 4 hours it was just a wee bit warm.
Is there any concern about heat with these units?  I'll probably just move the dividers to give it a little bit more breathing room.
I'm running it vertically and in the process of figuring out a method of short stilts to keep weight off of the connectors, (but it's already tall!)
I've seen the racking systems on here, but would like something more on the lines of V3 stilts.  I'm thinking of a rectangular collar that the unit could sit in.  I use it in my home studio too and so want something that is removeable.

ideas?

Thanks
Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MiniMe heat in a bag
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 02:36:23 PM »
Apogee's run...um...warm ::)  I seem to recall that there was this wooden box type enclosure back in the day, that some folks ran which ensured good ventilation around the units.  I run an AD1K with an AC powersupply.  What I did was use a rack and made the legs slightly longer than the unit is high.  Mounted the AC portion to the bottom, the AD portion to the top.  This way there is circulation under the bottom unit and circulation between the units because thew rack allows air between the two.  But like you said they are long units.  so it will depend on what your bag can handle.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 03:09:15 PM »
The predecessor to the MiniMe, the AD-1000, ran very hot and required a wooden enclosure when run in a bag.  The MiniMe may get a bit warm, but that is the extent of how hot it gets.  I never felt the need to have an enclosure when I ran mine.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
for me, I run a "non-standard" taping bag.  It is actually a bag for a a LCD projector.  I don't do much if any OTS type stuff.  But I can stand the bag upright believe it or not and everything stays put as long as I keep the top partially zippered.  I use the velcro strap when I'm carrying it but normally at shows it's all the way off.  I guess once things are dialed in I could strap it back down. And you can't tell from the pictures but there is about 1/2" of space under the bottom AC adapter of the AD1K.  This set up allows plenty of air to circulate but as noted this thing gets very warm.   There is a pocket as big as the bag on the flap that is opened where I put batteries and any other shit that I think I need that night.   I'll soon be replacing it with a new Sound Devices USBPre-2 and that will really free up some space. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 05:57:46 PM by kirkd »

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 09:57:32 PM »
The predecessor to the MiniMe, the AD-1000, ran very hot and required a wooden enclosure when run in a bag.  The MiniMe may get a bit warm, but that is the extent of how hot it gets.  I never felt the need to have an enclosure when I ran mine.

Yep, I'd say that my minime runs warm, but not HOT like a AD-1000.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:48:41 AM »
Heres my Minime with a V3 in a bag. runs warm, not hot.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com