Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: 16/48 DAT Dump Suggestions  (Read 5993 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
ISO: 16/48 DAT Dump Suggestions
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:57:45 PM »
Looking for an inexpensive DAT Dump - a device I can hook up to my DAT for bitperfect Xfers...  I used to use my JB3, but it isn't supported anymore.  Currently I use my HD-P2, but that a lot of money for a "soundcard".  Is there something relatively current, that still work with PCs, and has SPDIF/Tolsink input??? 

If not, suggestions of soundcards (internal or external) would be great, so I can Xfer to my PC...

Thanks,

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: ISO: 16/48 DAT Dump Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:31:51 PM »
Looking for an inexpensive DAT Dump - a device I can hook up to my DAT for bitperfect Xfers...  I used to use my JB3, but it isn't supported anymore.  Currently I use my HD-P2, but that a lot of money for a "soundcard".  Is there something relatively current, that still work with PCs, and has SPDIF/Tolsink input??? 

If not, suggestions of soundcards (internal or external) would be great, so I can Xfer to my PC...

Thanks,

Terry

I would stick with your Tascam. Why would you want to tie up your PC making real time DAT transfers when you can just do it the easy way into your P2, and go from the CF card to your computer and transfer the files in minutes? When I got my 24bit recorder, I kept my 16bit PMD670 just to archive DATs this way. I would save your money and stick with the P2. It's not like you can wear it out.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:24:10 AM »
Actually, its for someone else...  I do use my HD-P2 for my own transfers, and it freekin' works great.  However, I doubt Ifthir (he's here on TS) could convince his wife to shell out the loot to go that route... 

I'm thinking an iRiver...  optical input, 16/48, USB to PC...  I need to read the FAQ on this...  The other idea is the good old Audiophile 2496...

I'm just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, or maybe wanted to sell me there "dump" for cheap???

Thanks,

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline ifthir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Sharin in the groove
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:22:33 AM »
Terry is sadly right, I just can't pay for the HD-p2, I just bought a Korg MR1000 for analog transfers and can't justify buying another recorder just yet.

So, I've got the Tascam DA-40 and want to transfer DAT's from this, to my PC.

I was thinking of connecting the M-audio 24/96 soundcard, via PCI to my computer.

It's notes say "Record digital audio signals from your DAT, MiniDisc, CD, or external A/D converter via the coaxial S/PDIF input located on the break-out cable. "

I would connect this via coax. The only fear I have is that my PC is Windows XP Professional 64bit. Does anyone know if I would have compatibility issues with the soundcard and my OS?

Offline ifthir

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sharin in the groove
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »
So it looks like the m-audio 24/96 doesn't work or has iffy functionality in XP Pro 64 bit OS. From their website...

Windows XP 64-bit Support

Q: Are Avid M-Audio Products supported under Windows XP-64bit?

A: No.  Avid M-Audio resources are invested in recent and upcoming 64-bit operating systems such as Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7, and Mac OS X Snow Leopard.  Due to our developmental focus, we are not planning any updates to our current XP 64-bit drivers.  If 64-bit operation is essential, we recommend that users migrate to one of these operating systems for ongoing support.

Windows XP 64bit drivers for the Delta 44, Delta 66, Delta 1010LT, Delta 1010, Audiophile 2496, Audiophile 192, and Delta 410, FireWire 410, FireWire 1814, ProjectMix I/O, FireWire Audiophile, FireWire Solo, NRV-10, Ozonic, ProFire LightBridge, Revolution 5.1, and Revolution 7.1 can still be downloaded from the respective Public Beta Forums (see links below).

So I guess I am looking for another solution someone might recommend :(

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 10:43:35 AM »
IMO the best way to xfer DAT's to the PC is using DAT2WAV and a DDS drive.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline ifthir

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sharin in the groove
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:01:16 AM »
IMO the best way to xfer DAT's to the PC is using DAT2WAV and a DDS drive.

Let's say I wanted to stick with the soundcard option. What PCI or PCI Express soundcard is compatible with Windows XP Pro 64 bit and has digital inputs? Would a USB one work?

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
What's you working budget for this?

I would have said pick up a PMD661, but that's $600. So far, that's the fastest, most accurate way I have transferred DATs after years of practice the old way.

Just curious, DAT2WAV and a DDS drive is impossible with a macintosh, correct?
I always have a few old macs doing nothing, but 've never found a decent way to use them for transfers.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 01:36:47 PM »
Just curious, DAT2WAV and a DDS drive is impossible with a macintosh, correct?
I always have a few old macs doing nothing, but 've never found a decent way to use them for transfers.

You just need to get DATXtract (a free program that runs on I believe OSX 10.2 and above), an Audio compatible DDS drive, and a MAC compatible SCSI controller (I have used the Ratoc Firewire to SCSI controller successfully in this setup with Snow Leopard on a Macbook Pro)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 02:14:27 PM »
Spend $50 and buy the original Microtrack and a big flash card.   Use external power and a SPDIF from your DAT to the MT.   Not much :ducks: to screw up on one of them when plugged in and only recording at 16bit.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 03:30:50 PM »
Spend $50 and buy the original Microtrack and a big flash card.   Use external power and a SPDIF from your DAT to the MT.   Not much :ducks: to screw up on one of them when plugged in and only recording at 16bit.

I thought of that, but didn't want to invest in a MicroCrapper...  I was actually looking at an iRiver, or maybe re-furbing my JB3...

Ifthir went with a AP2496 soundcard...

Terry

Offline datbrad

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »

I thought of that, but didn't want to invest in a MicroCrapper...  I was actually looking at an iRiver, or maybe re-furbing my JB3...

Ifthir went with a AP2496 soundcard...

Terry

I was going to suggest the microtrack also. I guess computer systems have come along way in a few years. With my PC, when I am dumping data to it via firewire from my video camera, the import process ties up the entire PC until it's done. Can't even check email.

I was told this used to be the case with PCM digital streams into a soundcard, and I like to have access to my PC and would hate having to wait 2 hours for a real time DAT transfer to complete. To each his own, I suppose.........
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Offline ifthir

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sharin in the groove
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »
I was going to suggest the microtrack also. I guess computer systems have come along way in a few years. With my PC, when I am dumping data to it via firewire from my video camera, the import process ties up the entire PC until it's done. Can't even check email.

I was told this used to be the case with PCM digital streams into a soundcard, and I like to have access to my PC and would hate having to wait 2 hours for a real time DAT transfer to complete. To each his own, I suppose.........

I think this is a legitimate worry. Thankfully I have multiple PC's to offset this being an issue. That said, should I really expect a quad core with 64bit os and 8gb of ram to not be able to handle digital recording via the SC without slowdown? That seems odd.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 12:53:50 AM »

I think this is a legitimate worry. Thankfully I have multiple PC's to offset this being an issue. That said, should I really expect a quad core with 64bit os and 8gb of ram to not be able to handle digital recording via the SC without slowdown? That seems odd.

I guess I am thinking back to when spdif soundcards were the only way to dump DATs to wave before file based recorders were around and DAT transfers done with the most confidence of bit accuracy required that the computer be dedicated to the task for the length of the tape. From what you say this would not impact you with the PC you have, which is great.

Good luck with the DAT transfer project. It's daunting no matter how you go about it. I just knocked out about 30-40 DATs this past summer, and only have 400 or so more to go,  :P

Offline ifthir

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sharin in the groove
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 09:04:10 AM »
Update: the m-audio 2496 does have drivers for XP Pro 64 bit. I am able to get it accepting the digital feed from my DA-40 and I've confirmed the card is bit accurate as well.

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 10:19:45 AM »
Update: the m-audio 2496 does have drivers for XP Pro 64 bit. I am able to get it accepting the digital feed from my DA-40 and I've confirmed the card is bit accurate as well.

This is very good news!

Terry

Offline ifthir

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sharin in the groove
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 10:22:31 AM »
Yeah it sure is Terry, thanks for your input on this.

Now I just need about 43 years to go through and transfer these 3 different collections.

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 10:26:20 AM »
Yeah it sure is Terry, thanks for your input on this.

Now I just need about 43 years to go through and transfer these 3 different collections.

No problems...  Sorry I wasn't much help per the PC part... 

And yeah, I need about 43years just to get through the batch the Ian Stone sent me! 

Terry

Offline MULETAPER

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ~Find Love Thru Music and Share It~
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 10:41:26 AM »
Terry Im using a m-audio 24/96 now its easier to run out of a AD>PC

Im running my dat thru my UA5 for the bitmapper>COAX OUT>thru my pc and with wavlab can record at any bit rate I want 24/88.2.I do however have the SBM on the dat deck but im passing thru it just running out put.

or I can go DAT>UA5>PMD661 and then pull files and edit.
Beyerdynamic MC930's>Neumann KM184s>Tascam DR-680

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.132 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com