Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V2 > DR-07  (Read 5900 times)

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • recordings
V2 > DR-07
« on: May 05, 2011, 04:41:30 AM »
I was running two rigs tonight at New Deal. My usual and then a borrowed rig of ADK TLs > V2 > DR-07. I was running Line In on the DR-07. The levels during the show were at about -16 on the DR-07, and the V2 I had @ 30 for both channels. The outcome? Not pretty. Very distorted low end and a wav file that has zero peaks. I'm used to running my 661 and have no prior experience with a DR-07. I'm running it again tonight @ E-Factory.

HELP!

"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
Re: V2 > DR-07
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:31:56 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Mark. I've only ever used that unit with the CA-9100 or battery box. I'm not familiar with the V2. Do you have to run the same gain on all the outs? Do you have any headphones to monitor with? Maybe test it with MIC IN and switch the menu-based gain setting on the DR-07 to low and crank the wheel down as much as possible.

The small tascams do have sensitive input. I've had success with the DR-07 and DR-05 running from SBD to line in with recording level on the unit set way low. But I was able to adjust the gain from the board in those cases. Hope you can find something that works. But then you know you may have to mix down those 4 channels. ;)
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 08:39:54 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Mark. I've only ever used that unit with the CA-9100 or battery box. I'm not familiar with the V2. Do you have to run the same gain on all the outs? Do you have any headphones to monitor with? Maybe test it with MIC IN and switch the menu-based gain setting on the DR-07 to low and crank the wheel down as much as possible.

The small tascams do have sensitive input. I've had success with the DR-07 and DR-05 running from SBD to line in with recording level on the unit set way low. But I was able to adjust the gain from the board in those cases. Hope you can find something that works. But then you know you may have to mix down those 4 channels. ;)

HA...........do I REALLY want to run 4 channels? The levels weren't peaking on the 07 at all, but the wav file was useless. I have three more soundchecks this week to get it dialed. not worried! 1st all nighter of the week.

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:41:28 AM »
Just a guess, but I think you probably overloaded the DR-07's (sort of sensitive) line input.  In the manual, Tascam says the max line input is 6 dBV (~ 8.2 dBu).  The TL has a sensitivity of 10 mV/Pa, so (if I did the math right) it would be outputting about -22 dBu at 110 dBSPL.  Add in the 30 dB of gain from the V2, and (I think!) you'd be distorting around that point...

Maybe the reason the levels looked OK on the recorder is that the recorder gain is in the digital domain, so you were dropping the levels of an already clipped signal (brickwalling)...

Might be worth trying the V2 with less gain?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »
Just a guess, but I think you probably overloaded the DR-07's (sort of sensitive) line input.  In the manual, Tascam says the max line input is 6 dBV (~ 8.2 dBu).  The TL has a sensitivity of 10 mV/Pa, so (if I did the math right) it would be outputting about -22 dBu at 110 dBSPL.  Add in the 30 dB of gain from the V2, and (I think!) you'd be distorting around that point...

Maybe the reason the levels looked OK on the recorder is that the recorder gain is in the digital domain, so you were dropping the levels of an already clipped signal (brickwalling)...

Might be worth trying the V2 with less gain?

aaronji's spot on with all of his thoughts. I agree, run the V2 with about half the gain you have been. For example; my 930s are aproximately 8db louder at the cap then yours. I can put in aproximately 17-20db of gain before clipping on either the sax or the 722, so thats around +20dbu and the mics would be just over 0dbu. So based on the tascam's low input max of aprox +8dbu and mics that are cooler then mine, I'd reckon you're looking at a V2 gain of aproximately 10-15db. If I'd known you had the V2 cranked that high, I would have said something, sorry.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:18:12 AM »
You guys are the best.  :-*

Ill post results at 2am.

Thanks aaron, we'll see how she purs tonight!

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:42:14 AM »

Ill post results at 2am.

Be careful with her. She's never taped that kind of music before. She may have been a little scared. She's very sensitive you know.

And I actually have had that happen with the DR-07 once before now that I think about it. I was plugged into a patchbay and levels looked fine. Got home and found I had a distorted mess. I wasn't monitoring with headphones, which  I do now. Wouldn't have helped in that situation as I had no control over the gain knob, but at least I could have pressed stop and saved batteries and time.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on LMA

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 11:10:24 AM »

Ill post results at 2am.

Be careful with her. She's never taped that kind of music before. She may have been a little scared. She's very sensitive you know.

How would you know she's never taped that kind of music before? She seems to get around the block without you.  :-*

And I actually have had that happen with the DR-07 once before now that I think about it. I was plugged into a patchbay and levels looked fine. Got home and found I had a distorted mess. I wasn't monitoring with headphones, which  I do now. Wouldn't have helped in that situation as I had no control over the gain knob, but at least I could have pressed stop and saved batteries and time.

It's the shining reason to get an M10 or D50.

The max input of the tascam is like +8dbu
The max input of the sony M10 is like +23dbu or something like that.
The 722 has a max in of +26dbu for comparison

The max out on the V2 (balanced outs) is a whopping +27dbu IIRC.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »
I have a D50. I got the DR-07 'cause it was cheap and suits my needs most of the time. Mark didn't get any offers in the loaner thread for a D50 or a 661, so I gave him what I could spare. If I wasn't taping this weekend I'd have loaned him the D50.

And last night was her first night with a stranger. I should have warned him just how sensitive her inputs are  ;D.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on LMA

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 11:50:18 AM »
Page, does the m10 and D50 handle the same input level??
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
Page, does the m10 and D50 handle the same input level??

AFAIK. I'm looking at picking up the D50, but someone here said that they are comparable as far as line-input tolerances are concerned.

I have a D50. I got the DR-07 'cause it was cheap and suits my needs most of the time. Mark didn't get any offers in the loaner thread for a D50 or a 661, so I gave him what I could spare. If I wasn't taping this weekend I'd have loaned him the D50.

fair enough, I've been there, work with what you have, not what you want.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »
Yeah, I'd run the V2 at 10/15db ;)

Yet another reason why I LOVE my M10 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 05:18:34 PM »
aaronji's spot on with all of his thoughts.

There's a first time for everything, I suppose!  :)

Ill post results at 2am.

Good luck!  I am curious to hear how it goes...

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 08:38:51 PM »
All is well! Ran the V2 @ 15 and pushed the 07 as far as I could (steady -6), sounds fantastic. TLs > V2 is a GEM! Thanks for all the help. Ill try to have the show up before 10 tomorrow am.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 06:18:32 AM »
^^^ Excellent!  Glad to hear it worked out; can you post a link when the show is up? 

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 11:54:55 AM »
TLs > V2 is a GEM!

I want to hear this tape!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »
Yeah, WTF mterry? It's Gary Cooper time and we got squat.   :P
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.156 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com