Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: USBPRE2 question  (Read 6166 times)

Offline AB52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
USBPRE2 question
« on: June 19, 2011, 04:05:50 PM »
Do these pres really sound as good as those on an SD 744T ???
Anyone actually compared the two.  I do not understand how a pre running on 5 volts can do this. 

Also, do you think it would run off of a keyboard USB port, such as on my Fusion 12?

THANKS for the help everyone,

Best,
AB

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: USBPRE2 question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »
Do these pres really sound as good as those on an SD 744T ???
Anyone actually compared the two.  I do not understand how a pre running on 5 volts can do this. 

Also, do you think it would run off of a keyboard USB port, such as on my Fusion 12?

The preamps should mimic the 788's IIRC. For reference, the 744 can run on 7v, and it has a hard drive and CF card slot.

Second, I doubt it will power off of your keyboard, my apple keyboard wouldn't do it when I tried. If it did, I'd think about latency of being daisy chained.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

kirk97132

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »
If you are ONLY after power then try it it might work, or page already has got the answer to that. I also think page could be right about a latency issue if you are trying to use it as computer interface.  BUT if it is only an input device then latency might not be an issue to you

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:23:38 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I have a mixpre-d and usbpre2 arriving on Friday - so I can compare both.  I also ordered a USB battery device as I do not think my keyboard port will work - the specs on it do not work.

What I like I will keep.  What I do not will be returned.  It will be interesting.

Best to all.  I really like this forum and the people on it.
AB

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:26:06 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I have a mixpre-d and usbpre2 arriving on Friday - so I can compare both.

:o :o :o

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:51:06 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I have a mixpre-d and usbpre2 arriving on Friday - so I can compare both.  I also ordered a USB battery device as I do not think my keyboard port will work - the specs on it do not work.

What I like I will keep.  What I do not will be returned.  It will be interesting.

Best to all.  I really like this forum and the people on it.
AB

It may be hard to say no to both since you bought both at the same time but do keep us updated!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:13:15 AM »
Hmm, thats a question of transformers then.

Using this for concert taping or quiet stuff? Long cable runs from the preamp or standard tapingsection-style recording where everything is near you?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 11:51:31 PM »
No long cable runs.   The mixpre-d went back.  The USBpre2 stays. 
I am impressed it so far.  I use an Isound power max to power it.   
It will run a long time off of that unit and it was inexpensive compared to some other options.  I am not looking to mix in the field. 
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766258-REG/ISOUND_DGIPAD_4544_Portable_Power_Max_16000.html

I am looking to record and have a couple of backup channels from my Zaxcom Fusion.  (If only the fusion would run off the Isound power unit!)

By the way, this was a difficult decision.    The mixpre-d has some great features the usbpre2 does not (like internal batteries, ms recording, aes dig out)

If I was wealthy, I would have both.  (and of course a whole bunch of more field recorders and microphones, etc.

But I can wholeheartedly recommend the USBPRE2 - it was up there with the Fusion pres - using a pair of Sennheiser 8070s.

Thanks, everyone.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:56:05 PM by AB52 »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 11:55:01 PM »
I am impressed it so far.  I use an Isound power max to power it.   It will run a long time off of that unit and it was inexpensive compared to some other options.

I am not looking to mix in the field.  I am looking to record and have a couple of backup channels from my Zaxcom Fusion. 

By the way, this was a difficult decision.

That makes sense then. The mixpre is best in adverse conditions (long cable runs, high RFI environments) since it has isolating transformers on the inputs, you lose some dynamic range IIRC, but it's not much.

Glad you're happy with the unit.

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 11:58:15 PM »
It would be nice to have a unit where the transformer can be bypassed.  I would pay another $300 for all the features of the mixpre-d and USBpre2 - all in one unit!

I am impressed it so far.  I use an Isound power max to power it.   It will run a long time off of that unit and it was inexpensive compared to some other options.

I am not looking to mix in the field.  I am looking to record and have a couple of backup channels from my Zaxcom Fusion. 

By the way, this was a difficult decision.

That makes sense then. The mixpre is best in adverse conditions (long cable runs, high RFI environments) since it has isolating transformers on the inputs, you lose some dynamic range IIRC, but it's not much.

Glad you're happy with the unit.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 11:56:57 AM »
The USBpre2 stays. 
It will run a long time off of that unit and it was inexpensive compared to some other options.  I am not looking to mix in the field. 
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766258-REG/ISOUND_DGIPAD_4544_Portable_Power_Max_16000.html

How long can you power the USBPre 2 from the Isound power max?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:22:04 PM by Dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 04:45:04 PM »
 Not sure.  I guess I could leave it on for a week and write back.  It is suppose to be many, many hours.   :)

The USBpre2 stays. 

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 08:48:25 AM »
Not sure.  I guess I could leave it on for a week and write back.  It is suppose to be many, many hours.   :)

Do you think you could run it for 24 hours with phantom on?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 10:59:51 AM »
The USBPre 2 draws a max of 0.5 amps.  The battery in question is rated for 16 Ahr.  16 Ahr / 0.5 A = 32 hours   So the battery should last for 24 hours.

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 11:49:08 AM »
This sounds correct.   As I left it on last nght, and now it is about 12 hours, and one of the four lights has gone off on the ISOUND.  If it really lasts about three more of the lights on the unit (It has a four light display for indicating power left) - then at most this would be 48 hours.  But who knows if the USBpre2 would really run well with the last two lights.  So I think 24 hours is probably a fair assessment of reality.

The USBPre 2 draws a max of 0.5 amps.  The battery in question is rated for 16 Ahr.  16 Ahr / 0.5 A = 32 hours   So the battery should last for 24 hours.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com