Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Basic question: 2 mics or 1 for seated interview?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline grapefruitvendor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Basic question: 2 mics or 1 for seated interview?
« on: October 13, 2011, 12:38:04 PM »
I'm interested in doing oral histories in the homes of friends. I have no gear and am starting from scratch.

I don't want to hold a mic or pass it back and forth, but I do want my questions recorded. So, do I have a setup with two desktop mics- (one facing each person)  or 1 interview mic between me and my interviewee? I don't think I want to record using the onboard mics of whatever portable recorder I buy.

I'm having a hard time finding concrete advice about this online...

Thanks!! 8)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Basic question: 2 mics or 1 for seated interview?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »
Just use two mics if you're unsure about using 1.  You can record the questions on one channel of a stereo recording deck, and the "answers" on the other channel.  Mixing them down to mono is very simple using any audio software.  You also may want to consider having the interviewee wear a lavalier mic, depending on the setting.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:11:35 PM »
If your questions are to be included in the final edited program then 2 mics would be best.  One facing the interviewee and one facing the interviewer, each on separate channels. 

If you just want to hear your questions for yourself and are editing them out then a single omni interview mic would be fine.  The single mic would be facing the interviewee with interviewer close enough to be picked up by it but don't speak over the subject.

Typical single mic interviews work by the interviewer standing/sitting next to interviewee, the interviewer controls the mic holding the stick mic and pointing it at each talker in turn.

Omnis are typically used for interview mics as they are less susceptible to wind/handling noise and will pick up some of the surrounding atmosphere/ambience.  They are also more forgiving of positioning as you are moving/pointing the mic during conversation.  If you interviewing in a noisy environment the mic will need to be positioned closer to the mouth of each speaker and in extreme situations like sporting events or factory floor etc. cardioid mics would be better suited.

Bear in mind it can be beneficial to record some atmosphere/ambience separately while on location, which could be useful for smoothing out your edits and the sonic flow of your interview.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:22:41 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 11:05:16 PM »
my advice still stands, keep it simple.

I would recommend the sony m10 or possibly the tascam dr2d (although I have not used it, i have read its nice from people here) because these are ~$200 records that have been used a lot by people on this board. Two mics would be nice but I'd rather have one good quality mic than two okay mics. Handling noise will be an issue with any mic if you're not monitoring the recording. Since this is audio only, wear headphones and hold the mic firm.

What's the budget for recorder and mics?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com