Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP NEEDED PLEASE-Firmware update for pmd 661(fixed thanks)  (Read 10569 times)

Offline MULETAPER

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ~Find Love Thru Music and Share It~
    • Global Moderator
HELP NEEDED PLEASE-Firmware update for pmd 661(fixed thanks)
« on: November 30, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »
I was intructed NOT to update the firmware myself from Doug Oade.He says I can mess up the whole unit. anyone update thier own and if so did ya have any problems installing 2.03

im now running 1.3 I believe and keep getting card errors and clicks in recordings.... he says its not the unit but the firmware running it...

you tell me if ya can... he'd rsather me send it to him for the 15 buck update that costs me 40 in shipping(been there twice) SOFT WARE NEVER UPDATED SINCE NEW.

he also explained that all these new cards read differnt and act different so im a little confused... (as cards update so does the way it runs the data??)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:01:05 PM by MULETAPER »
Beyerdynamic MC930's>Neumann KM184s>Tascam DR-680

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: HELP NEEDED PLEASE-Firmware update for pmd 661
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »
I was intructed NOT to update the firmware myself from Doug Oade.He says I can mess up the whole unit. anyone update thier own and if so did ya have any problems installing 2.03

im now running 1.3 I believe and keep getting card errors and clicks in recordings.... he says its not the unit but the firmware running it...

you tell me if ya can... he'd rsather me send it to him for the 15 buck update that costs me 40 in shipping(been there twice) SOFT WARE NEVER UPDATED SINCE NEW.

he also explained that all these new cards read differnt and act different so im a little confused... (as cards update so does the way it runs the data??)

I have an Oade warm 661, and after losing a show and 2 "card errors," I went ahead and did the update to 2.03. I didn't know that Doug was cautioning against it, but smooth sailing ever since. I should admit that I am formatting the card more often as well, but I'm also using a card that wasn't originally supported. My 2 cents, save your money and do the update yourself.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:19:13 PM »
how did you do the update can you walk me thru it?

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:20:57 PM »
I'm running a stock unit with F/W Version A1.17 and don't have any card problems.  I downloaded the A2.03 version which is supposed to improve card compatibility but have never installed it, afraid it might introduce card issues for me, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  I've attached the F/W update instructions and could send the v1.17 F/W bin file if you are interested in trying that one.  The attached update instructions are the same for v1.17 and v2.03...

PMD661 v.1.17 Firmware Details:

1.   When unit is restored after abnormal termination, data's chunk might not be correct.
2.   Malfunction might occur when using an SD card that is formatted by PMD661 in other equipment.

Previous firmware versions resolved issues below:
1.   By using pitch control, the unit locks up at audio files recorded at 24 bit 96 kHz.
2.   EDL marks corrupt file date created properties.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:29:52 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:28:22 PM »
thanks im going to try the upgade

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »
Please report back with how v2.03 update worked for you. 

btw-what cards are you using that are giving you issues?
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:35:01 PM »
san disc and PNY doug told me the new sonys are the best

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »
Good luck! FWIW, I formatted the card in the deck before I transferred the firmware to the card, and then did the upgrade. Perhaps an extra step, but it worked. Like I said, smooth sailing ever since.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 01:50:45 PM »
I just formatted the card too, that was my fisrt step now ill do the update ...keep ya's posted

and again..thank you!

(insert staples "that was easy button")

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 02:16:59 PM »

I'm using 16GB PNY Optima class 4 SDHC and never had an issue.

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 02:17:56 PM »
First of all "thank you both"

update tok 5 mins,and now is working fine... I will know more later since I have 12 dats to convert. so far.... so good...

This is one of the reasons I LOVE TS,good people and someone always has the answers to stupid questions...

my grandfather told me 45 years ago...

The most stupid question in the world is the one you never ask....

thnaks again I will post any problems if they occur here later but so far working well. thnaks for posting the links digigal!! you rock GIRL!

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 02:20:13 PM »

I'm using 16GB PNY Optima class 4 SDHC and never had an issue.

I burned one of these up in this machine- doug says hes never seen it happen I will post a pic of the burned SD card later... a hole right thru it.

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 02:29:18 PM »
got 8 mins of record time and got a digi in error....and stopped. seems to happen when machine gets warm.

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »
yeah tring to record digi in- all I get is an error message and wont record... have to hook up my mics and see if it work that way.... coming coax out of DAT>661 coax in is not working now at all... only get an error message....

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 02:52:23 PM »
got 8 mins of record time and got a digi in error....and stopped. seems to happen when machine gets warm.

Bummer. Sounds like (maybe) a voltage regulation problem. Hope it's still being covered by the Oades!!!
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 02:54:53 PM »

Ut-oh, wonder if the Oade Mod makes this unit run at higher temperatures lending a new meaning to the term [warm mod]?  Really hope Doug can fix it for you!!!

I never noticed my stock unit get warm and I run it in the Marantz case.  Was shocked when you mentioned a card that got a whole physically burned through it.  That doesn't seem at all normal for the 661, does Doug know that this happened with your unit?

Good luck!!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:35:00 PM by DigiGal »

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 03:50:28 PM »
no Doug refuses to do anything..... hes says hes bent over backwards for me and was quite pompous on the phone.I REFUSE to do business with him EVER again.Hes quick to say hes never the cause or solution to any problem.Hes very agro to try to talk to always being defensive. As a businessman im appauled... because I bought this unit from a TS'r who had it a month,he says the warranty is void. he does not stand behind his products,he just here to take our money. I met him over 30 years ago,seems old age is setting in.... not the "old" doug who would WANT to find and FIX your problems.... Ive told him that the battery tray is not the only issue. the unit has a slight burnt smell when it warms up although it does not seem to get hot. so what the hell is heating up and cause SD card to burn a hole in the same spot.seems like a grounding problem to me... Oades mods are really good and have spent copious amounts of money on his gear. he just refuses to really look at the picture.

digi gal yes he knows exactly what has been done he says "never seen that happen to a 661" well duh thats why your suppose to be a technician.... even I have a VAST education in building electronics,fixing cb and ham radios and even digi modded my own UA5. (but what do I know??) I just cant type worth a crap :-)

this is why people go to busman,hes on the ball.

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »
BTW it might have 45-50 hrs on it....Even Z-man Has seen foir himself the troubles ive had at 2 xmas jams in a row. thank god i never sold my 16 bit rig ive used it more then ive ever used this ,this year alone... Ive has issues for 2+ years with this anchor,and bad luck with getting anything done by doug... he has no problem charging a bench fee. Ive spent 110 in shipping to him on a 600.00 machine... and have LOW hrs on it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:57:14 PM by MULETAPER »

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »
Just finished reading through the thread. What issue are you having with the battery tray? I only read about card/firmware stuff on this thread. I did the firmware update prior to 2.03 but have not done this newest one.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »
this is why people go to busman,hes on the ball.

Ahh, now I remember you posting about your battery tray/Oade problem in the Team PMD 661 thread.

Too bad Oade is not taking care of this for you.  I've had no experience with Doug myself but I have with Busman and yes he is great and stands by his work.  Perhaps Busman can fix it for you for a fee even though he didn't do the mod, it would be worth asking him.

no Doug refuses to do anything..... hes says hes bent over backwards for me and was quite pompous on the phone.I REFUSE to do business with him EVER again.Hes quick to say hes never the cause or solution to any problem.Hes very agro to try to talk to always being defensive. As a businessman im appauled... because I bought this unit from a TS'r who had it a month,he says the warranty is void.

Did the previous owner admit to having any problems with it? 

Marantz doesn't endorse the use of external batteries, stating only their external supply should be connected to the DC input.  Does it overheat with an external battery, the Marantz external supply or both?  When the battery tray burned up was it connected to an external source or just running with the internal batteries?  Perhaps the internal supply was damaged by something connected to it somewhere in it's history, ie: over voltage or reverse polarity, this scenario would not be Oade's fault but someone should still be able to fix it outside of warranty.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:30:34 PM by DigiGal »

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »
usually run on AC, but in the field was using internals till it crapped out. Now im using a tekkon3450 external with no heat issues DC in.

I have no Idea how to get in touch with busman,any help appreciated.

im going to play my stereo and try my mics tommorrow and see if it still works that way.(let ya know). if no problems Ill run if for 15-20 hrs and see if I get issues... if it runs ok that way im fine with it.

Im just doing my DAT tranfers COAX>AP24/96 directly. just so I can get them done and the tapes back to owner.it was quicker with the 661,but at this point times really no concern.

there will be an R4-or 44 or a SD-788t coming soon as a replacement,not that I want to spend the coin but I will probably throw this up with a ceveat in yardsale or for the MOD/parts. or someone else can fix it.Im To upset over this to deal with it any more been 2 years back and forth with OADE. enough to piss anyone with a good mind off. ::)

If Busman will look at it,Ill send it!! >:D as someone I once looked up too,OADE aint shit! :o hes proved this... and his shit still does not stink...I think its flavored! ;D

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »
Here is Busman's contact info for you...

http://busmanaudio.com/contact.html

R44 / R4 / 744 / 788  are all good choices but DR680 is playing roulette.

Some folks have had power problems similar to yours with their R44's after applying power incorrectly, these units use tip as (-) and sleeve as (+) just like the UA5's and many Edirol/Roland products.

DR680 is not reliable at all when using an external battery according to several user reports.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:52:42 PM by DigiGal »

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 09:15:54 AM »
Now I recall the battery issue from the team thread. I called DMPro last year asking about that because I was concerned after reading it. They told me the issue they had heard of from their service dept was when batteries were ever inserted reverse polarity in the sled. It can break the contacts as well as damage the electronics adjacent to the batteries due to heat. It's not hard to do in a rush, I almost did it a few times myself. Not saying this was the cause for your issues, but unlike the 680 that seems to have many problems for a lot of owners, the mod 661s seem to be just as solid as the mod R44s. Sounds like you must have the one lemon 661 which is too bad. I've had mine since March '09 and never had any issues that were not user error, so I guess I count myself lucky. Sorry you had a bad experience.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 10:29:18 AM »
I went from an ACM671 to an ACM661 for size reasons, and the soundstage/image is almost as good!

I did the firmware update right when I got the deck, I have had zero issues with a Lexar Pro 16gb card. I have no experience with the old firmware on the unit.
I am sorry about your issues with Doug. I have known him personally for over 27 years, and his service to me has been nothing but excellent.
I have had zero battery issues with this deck as well, as opposed to the ACM671.
I only use rechargeable AA batteries in this deck, no DC external powering.
I have to think you may have bought a "lemon" deck :(
It seems you bought your deck second hand, correct? This may be why any "mod" person would be hesitant to deal with the deck. Who knows how it was used/treated before you got the unit.

Good luck with your issues, I hope you can work them out and make some nice recordings :)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:30:56 AM by Since85 »

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »
the deck was a month old when recieved and used for a project. Never once put batteries in wrong only ran it on batterys 4-5 times before the issues started.Like Ive said Ive treated this and ALL my electronics with care. this unit was vertually NEW at purchase... Bought from JTL here on the board. I had sent him a email 2 years ago wanting the warranty info and no response since hes changed his name here on TS. All bought on good faith from another team dirty south member.He never mantioned having any problems but selling a deck thats a month old is questionable... ???

either way there is nothing I can do but scrap it at this point,or sell it for parts.... :-\

just the way it goes. I actually cancelled my order with doug to buy this since it was NEW!

my fault anyway, never buy used gear...."its like a box of chocolates,you never know what your gonna get- (Forrest Gump)

Offline Diogo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: HELP NEEDED PLEASE-Firmware update for pmd 661(fixed thanks)
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 09:48:55 PM »

Guys ,know the topic is old, but I found the FirmWare A2.03, if this is useful to someone , I'm happy, sorry my bad english I'm using translator.

Link:     https://mega.co.nz/#!ppgVFaAQ!Uy4SiR0tPP0Tl3jiwDI-Yj41IxJohJSNRP9Bn-lLTCE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com