Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Urgent Help Request - Edirol R-09HR Line In issues  (Read 2149 times)

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
Urgent Help Request - Edirol R-09HR Line In issues
« on: May 01, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »
Been ages since I've been here, but always come back for troubleshooting.

Mid way through taping a 5 night stand of New Order (done Manchester x 2, Birmingham and tomorrow head to London for 2 x Brixtons).

Thing is I've a line in problem with the old Edirol.

I'm running my mics through a BB into the Edirol - into the line in socket.

Thing is, I started getting drop outs on the left channel listening back to the Birmingham show I recorded Sunday night.

I noticed that the static and drop outs occurred in line with when I pulled the rig out of my pocket to check the levels.

I've ran some tests tonight and have a brand new SP-SPSB-8 BB which I have ran instead of my trusted other sound professionals BB.

The SP8 seems a snugger fit and doesn't seem to have the same drop out issues that I have encountered with my regular BB.

However, I wondered whether the issue is truly the BB jack, or are the R-09HR's prone to line in glitches and problems?

Posting here and being cheeky enough to ask for help as I have New Order live again in less than 24 hours.....

Help me Obi-ones - you're my only hope.

Any help / knowledge / opinions would be welcome.
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Urgent Help Request - Edirol R-09HR Line In issues
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 05:02:18 PM »
Try cleaning the minijacks/plugs as described by guysonic on his website. The guysonic method had helped a lot of tapers. It has worked for me.

Clean & recondition noisy mic. jacks with 91 - 99% pure isopropyl alcohol.  Repeatedly insert a headphone type plug soaked to the point of dripping (filling the alcohol bottle cap and dipping only the metal part of the mini-plug works well) into the mic jack until any connection noise disappears.  Monitor the progress with a set of headphones while the deck is in a record function.  Rotating the microphones plug should not produce audible noise with cleaned and conditioned contacts.   Applying a contact conditioner to already cleaned plug and jack metal parts.

You would need to do this with both the battery box jack and the HR  line in jack. Use the microphone plug and battery box cable as the plugs so you clean them too. If this doesn't work, and I suspect it will, there is something wrong mechanically with one of the components.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:04:29 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 02:55:06 AM »
Thanks for the prompt response on this.

In a rush this am as bags packed etc for London, but will give this some consideration.

Any idea where I can buy the ' 91 - 99% pure isopropyl alcohol' you mentioned?
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:21:10 AM »
I believe most major pharmacies should have it-just go in and ask. I forget where I bought mine, but a quick Google check shows that CVS has it in the US.

It's rubbing alcohol, but the 91% or 99% pure is recommended rather than the 70% pure. I think the 70% would probably work in a pinch.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 09:57:34 PM »
I think it is your cord. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com