Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 7)  (Read 114529 times)

Offline Dave_Scream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 7)
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
dogmusic & audBall
thanks for advices. In Russia 220 to 120 adapters are hard to find - only ebay. But ebay is bad because too long and ~10% of shippings are lost, so I cant buy original adapter from sony or 120-220 converter.

I read some internet, and found, that Power supply must be _stabilized_ so if I set 3v, it have 3v.  I think I buyed not stabilized adapter, so it maked with mind that with some consumption it voltage will go down from 6v to needed 3v. But I scare to try it, so will buy stabilized AC power.
Sorry for my bad english. Im from Russia, Rostov-on-Don.

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2013, 03:02:14 PM »
I'm considering switching from Edirol R-09HR to Sony PCM-M10.

First of all, this seven-part discussion is HUGE. Where should I start reading? Or have some of the conclusions been summarized somewhere?

I'm a blind guy, so have a couple questions that may have not come up yet.

Does the M10 have menus and do they rap around? I plan on setting things once, i.e. turning down the display, setting things to record in 24-bit and a particular sampling rate, and just leaving them for good.

The menus in the R-09HR don't rap, so once I had made notes of the order of options and available choices, I could predictably set things by counting button presses. Very handy.

I've read that the input gain on the M10 is a dial.  Does this dial have any tactile feedback as it turns, such as detents, clicks ...
Or, if turning it while monitoring through headphones, can you hear distinct changes up or down that could be counted? I'm just wondering how to accurately set levels to something near unity gain, and then taping the knob down so it won't budge.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2013, 03:36:12 PM »

Does the M10 have menus and do they rap around? I plan on setting things once, i.e. turning down the display, setting things to record in 24-bit and a particular sampling rate, and just leaving them for good.

I've read that the input gain on the M10 is a dial.  Does this dial have any tactile feedback as it turns, such as detents, clicks ...
 I'm just wondering how to accurately set levels to something near unity gain, and then taping the knob down so it won't budge.

Thanks,
Chris

The main advantage of the PCM-M10 over the Edirol is battery life. There are partisans for both the new Edirol R-05 and for the Sony PCM-M10. I have the PCM-M10 and just love it.

The Sony has a main Menu, which does wrap by hitting the Forward or Reverse arrows. The choice that comes up when you turn it on is Record Mode. I've forgotten what the factory setting is, but you could count to 24-bit .wav from that.

Within the main menu list is a Detail menu with things like the clock, the LED timeout and, most important for me, the Limiter, which I turn on but hope never kicks in. Again, you could count to each of these, but it would take some close reading of the manual.

You sound very self-sufficient, but these are one-time, set-it-and-forget it options--a sighted friend could help you with these once and you'd be done.

The input level dial doesn't click or send sound through the headphones. But it does have ridges on its edge, like a gear, with a slightly higher ridge at each number.  4 is unity gain, and even if you didn't tape it down at that level,  your fingers are probably sensitive enough to easily feel the raised ridges for the numbers.

Offline Dave_Scream

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »
Hello Chris,
I try to add somethink.
Like earmonger previously sayed, record gain wheel dont have fixed positions. But it approximately turns on 340 degrees so you can turn it down to zero and then set half or what you need.
I dont know if you need manual mode, because this recorder have auto gain mode, so all you need is to find microphone sensitivity switch in upper-right corner of device from behind, and when in monitoring mode you hear some distortions then switch microphone gain to low (bottom switch position). REC gain wheel in auto mode is not affecting anythink.

On top device have two microphones, then screen. Under the screen it have 5 buttons. Buttons are good for fiding with hands because center button have different relief, you can easily find center button and then 2 buttons left and 2 buttons right.

This 5 buttons from left to right are:
Folder (show list of folders), Menu, Delete, A to B (for repeating), and Display (switch display mode when recording or playing).

then go main controls button (one button up other button down)
two buttons on left side is FF and FR
two buttons on center is Pause and Stop
two buttons on right side is Rec and Play / enter
most right button is T Mark to make markers on current recoring file (maximum 99 markers on one file)

First is Folder button. It shows the contents of memory. It is good because all you need to do is press stop button few times to exit from everywhere you are and then press folder button. It will show contents of memory and last folder you was in will be selected with cursor.
Then you can list folders up and down with FF and FR buttons. Folders listing is looped so if you rich the upper folder, for example and press up again it will be on the last folder. But you can press Stop button to exit folders list and then again press folder button to re open folders list - the last folder you recorded or played will again in focus.

The folders are flat. So if you put folder called voices in to folder called music, on the device this folders will be showed on the same list. so folder menu show all subfolders and folders and subsubfolders in one list.

The menu button. When you in record mode or in stop mode, menu have different amount of menu items. In record mode you allowed to edit only two paremeters
first - when you press menu button you are on LCF (Low cut filter) option and second (one button down) is Detail menu. In detail menu you have only one option is Limiter. Limiter works only if you working in manual recording mode. If you switch auto recording mode on (right bottom side of device switch to down position) and try to go in limiter menu, device will show a screen for a 5 seconds that limiter works only in manual mode, and then will show parameters on or off.

Setting the parameters in menu are not so good. Usuallu menu items have only two parameters - on and off. When you go in some parameter, cursor automatically focused on previously activated position, for example on. if you press down it will select off. if you press down again in will loop and cursor will be on "on" again. So you cant go in option and press few times down button to 100% switch it off. You can only go in option and press down one time to toggle it. Only toggle the parameter, because menu looped from up to down.

In stop mode all menu items are allowed.
When you press Menu button you always on REC mode (quality) if you go into this - current rec mode will be selected. and items are looped too. But if you forget position and current quality you on, you can make step down and record somethink then again step down and record until you find definely new quality. it is because items are going PCM 96 kHz 24bit and then MP3 64 kbps. So when you go from LPC 96kHz to MP3 64kbps you will understand that now you are switched to MP3 by listening to quality.

menu items from up to down are:
1 REC Mode (its for quality)
2 Low cut filter (on and off)
3 Speed control (slower faster)
4 Effect (3 positions Bass1 Bass2 (for more bass) and off)
5 Key Control (tonality up and down)
6 Easy search (on and off) if on then you can rewind with big amount of time fast.
7 Play mode (6 positions are repeat folder, repeat all, play one and stop, play folder and stop, play all, repeat one) items are looped as in other places and current item in focus when you go in to menu.
8 Detail menu (will describe later)
9 Divide (2 positions are divide current position (it another menu it allow fine tuning of current position a little backward or little forward and listen preview) and second is  divide all t mark) thats all in 9 divide.
10 Delete
11 File Copy
12 Add "TAKE" (to mark files you like with this string in name)
13 Protect (to avoid delete)
14 Memory (I dont have memory card so I dont know. I think here you can select to use some one type or cross memory mode)
15 here you again on REC MODE.

Detail menu have
1 clock
2 LED (on off - lights that are build in buttons)
3 backlight (10 seconds, 60 seconds, always on, off)
4 Language
5 Level meter in playback (just visual screen mode on and off)
6 Battery settings (alkaline battery or  Ni MH battery dotn know what it do)
7 LIMITER (on off)
8 PRE Rec (on off) prerecording is 5 seconds. you press record button and then pause or play to start record.
9 Audio Out (2 modes: headphones you allowed to control volume with hardware switch on left center side  or second mode - Line Out you not allowed to control volume it always on maximum - very loud)
10 Plug In Power (on off)
12 cross memory recording (on off)
13 Format (to format memory card)
14 here you again on Clock menu item

you can exit any menu with stop button or press menu button again to go level upper.

I dont know why but device have hardware Speed control switch. Left upper side of device If it will be turned off, then selected in menu speed control settings are not affected to playback. I think its maybe because of some extra power consumption - so you can switch off speed control processor so it will not eat batteries.

Device loose time and date settings if no batteries for 5 minutes. so when switch on it will ask you enter year month day and so on.

It have build in speaker in bottom center side of device. it not so loud, so you cant listen it in another room. bass is very bad. speaker is small.

Device have item to attach rope on bottom right corner

REC gain wheel is on right side

Hold / power switch is on right side under rec gain. If device is in hold mode you can continue use REC Gain wheel. Hold / power switch have 3 positions. Center position is usual work position. If you want hold mode then go upper position, if you want switch off slide it for few seconds down. Device have auto sleep mode so I donot turn it off never.

As I understand, it have so good battery life because it switch off phones/line out amplifier. I found that when playing is stopped, after few seconds small noise from phones amplifier is off.

The mounting tripod item is in center of back side of device.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:12:13 PM by Dave_Scream »

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
Dave Scream--

Just a couple of things to add to your excellent summary.

Auto Gain is not a good idea. It pumps everything up to the same level. So if there is a quiet part of the music, it will make that just as loud as the peak. And if there is a silence, it will pump up the ambient noise in a room.

I once did an interview with Auto Gain accidentally on. There was an air conditioner in the room. Every time the conversation paused, it sounded like a hurricane was blowing through the room.

The speed control is an option for musicians--maybe they want to slow something down to learn it, or change the pitch to sing along. I've never had any trouble with that switch accidentally being moved, but you could easily tape it down.

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2013, 08:39:24 PM »
Wow guys, thanks for all the details! I'm copying all of that into a handy textfile for later use. :)
Taperssection always comes through. :)
Greatly appreciated,

Chris

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2013, 08:11:46 AM »
It was shipped with AC power adapter but for US standart 110v. I have here 220v 50hz standart, so I cant use this AC adapter.

All you need is a plug adapter (without converter).  Something like this (but you should be able to find one cheaper):  http://russiankeyboards.com/uselpoouad.html.

Offline Dave_Scream

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2013, 08:38:35 AM »
All you need is a plug adapter (without converter).  Something like this (but you should be able to find one cheaper):  http://russiankeyboards.com/uselpoouad.html.
Hello!
Hmm I have this, but are you shure? because on adapter I can read 120V, not 110-240v as usual. So I think it will make boom if I plug it to 220v... Have you tried to plug it to 220v? Sony have different adaptors for Sony M10 wich work on 220v and different adaptor for 120v. I never seemd 120-220v for sony pcm m10
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:53:54 AM by Dave_Scream »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2013, 10:50:37 AM »
Mine says "INPUT: AC100-240V, 50/60Hz 5W".  All I need is a plug adapter.  If yours says only 120V, you might need a plug converter, which is still pretty inexpensive.  It may be that Sony just puts a different sticker on the ones they sell in the US; maybe you can send an e-mail to them and ask if yours can handle 220V without a converter...

Offline Dave_Scream

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2013, 11:20:21 AM »
Ive got bad news (why me??  :(
I buyed 32Gb microSDHC card Silicon Power class 10 UHC 1.
It recognized by recorder, and can record into it.

But when I connect recorder to PC, I cant copy any files on that card. Only small files or folders and rarely. If I copy big file, then Sony PCM M-10 just start to reboot.

So I cant copy music files I want to listen to without external cardreader and switching microSDHC card between them.

Im unhappy now.
---
I recorder 10 minutes at highest LPCM (224 mb)  and copying speed is ~4.3 Mb/sec   so no need to buy microSDHC card better than class 6.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 11:34:18 AM by Dave_Scream »

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »
Try using a card reader instead of connecting the M10 via USB. I get waaaaay better transfer speeds using the card reader...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
Try using a card reader instead of connecting the M10 via USB. I get waaaaay better transfer speeds using the card reader...

Same here
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

adrianf74

« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2013, 08:54:05 PM »
Thank god my laptop has a built in card-reader.   The USB interface on the M10 is soooooooo slow that it sucks b@ll$.   :)

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2013, 06:36:33 AM »
I have never removed my memory card from my recorder . The thing is so tiny . I am sure removing it and putting it back so many times , will in the end be causing damage .
What do you need a fast transfer for anyway ? Can't you wait 20 minutes before the file loads ? I record in 96 /24 and that's usually the longest time it will take uploading an average show to my external hard drive .

All I do is formatting the memory card after every show . That was a great piece of advice I did read here !
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline Dave_Scream

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »
All I do is formatting the memory card after every show . That was a great piece of advice I did read here !
I didnt read it. Why need to format memory card after every recording job?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com