Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Please help me choose a setup: light stand vs. clamp/pole setup  (Read 1543 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Hi all,

I would like opinions on which mounting setup would make the most sense for me.  I'm a school music teacher, and I just ordered a set of CA-14s to go with my PCM-M10 which I use to record student performances and rehearsals.  What I'm having trouble deciding is how I want to mount my mics - either on a tall light stand or some kind of superclamp / extension pole system.  There's tons of great info here on both, but nothing I could find directly related to the stuff I record so I'm asking for advice based on everyone's experience.

I record:
- Orchestra / Band / Chorus concerts in auditoriums & gyms: Lots of time to set up, but I'm concered about having a large footprint stand that audience might trip over
- Marching Band shows, outdoors in stadiums: Very little setup / takedown time, and I'd also be on video duties.  Depending on show, I'm either on top of stadium press box (and could thus clamp to rail) or in stands with the crowd.  This is usually in the fall and often very windy.
- Small choirs in churches: Somewhere in the middle for setup concerns between the other two situations.

I like the idea of clamping a pole because of the almost zero footprint and the stability - no need for sandbags in the wind outdoors, nothing for people to trip over.  I'm not sure I'll always have somewhere to attach it though, and I wonder how the Superclamp holds up in high winds with an extended pole.  The light stand is also going to be much cheaper - I have my eye on an 8' Impact air-custioned stand for $33 at B&H.

My original plan was to get a light stand for indoor recording, and clip my mics to a hat for outdoor marching band shows, leaving my hands free to shoot video.  It would be fast, but wouldn't get the mics elevated above the crowd.

I appreciate the advice, and look forward to reading everyone's thoughts.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Please help me choose a setup: light stand vs. clamp/pole setup
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 10:02:22 PM »
For orchestra/band/chorus, I would use a short stand, right at the front of the stage.  All it has to do is clear the stage a couple of feet and it won't effect anyone's view.  If you get a table-top mic stand, you could probably place your rig right on stage...

For outdoor shows, you're going to be too far back in the AUD...  I would run a mic stand on the 50yd line, on the sideline.  Get a Marching Band Dad to keep an eye on it/block...

For small choirs in a church, I think that's going to be a day-of decision based on the venue...  Not all churches are the same, and not all situations call for the same solution...

Sounds like fun though!  Get an AV Geek to help you out...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com